Author Topic: Scheduled surgery date!  (Read 3428 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Scheduled surgery date!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 12:07:03 pm »
Hi Andrea-

Yep, we all know the excitement of getting your date!  Once I decided on surgery (okay, well, it was actually decided for me), I couldn't WAIT to get on with it!  I agree with Trish that, for me, the worst part of this whole thing was the waiting.  Even having a funky smile and no hearing in my AN ear has been easier in some weird way than the waiting.  So, HURRAY for you!  Make sure you get lots of rest and take good care of your body before surgery. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

andrea in slc

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 02:16:16 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'm counting down the days! (23 to go) Trying to get tons done before, as you all can relate, I'm sure, and yet get rest. HA! I figure I'll catch up on my sleep AFTER.  ;)

cindyj

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 07:51:26 pm »
That's what I'm thinking too, Andrea.  There will be plenty of time for sleep very soon! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

LADavid

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 08:48:25 pm »
Hey Andrea
You know it is really an odd thing for someone to say something like -- "I can't wait to have surgery."  But we all get it.  I haven't checked but did you put it on the calendar (on my signature) so we can keep up with you?  Some personal insight -- time will fly before you are there.  It may not seem like it but in retrospect it does.

Best wishes
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

mrgarlic

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 08:37:24 am »
Greetings Andria,  WOW, I have company, My date is Nov 20, the days are going slow, Humor is a pain killer, keep it up. As for the comment on the janitor,,,,, It hit home. While a patient a nurse's aid was adjusting needle in my hand while a "housekeeper" watched. Then she said, "here let me help" I kid you not, she actually tried to help with her filthy gloves on. On the cheerful side, for fun, tuck some small gifts under your blanket, and hand them out after they roll you in . I have had so many surgeries, I look for some ha ha's.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

wendysig

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 06:57:16 am »
Andrea,
I know the feeling of time flying by before surgery -- you want to get so much accomplished before then you go non-stop.  Staying busy with anything really helps and I  feel that was why I was so calm by the say of my surgery.  I'd  done everything I wanted to around the house, gotten together with friends old and new (had lunch with a few people from the forum about a week before surgery), packed a bag for the hospital and just felt ready to get it over with.  The say of my surgery I was a little nervous but felt confident I would have a good outcome -- I was very fortunate and I did.  I hope you feel the same way. 

Best wishes,
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 07:35:13 am »
Hi, Andrea:

I'm a little late to the surgery date celebration but I can understand your feeling of excitement.  No one really wants to be hospitalized and have skull surgery but when you're presented with the reality of having an acoustic neuroma and the problems it can cause, and you want it out of your head, having a firm date to have it removed is kind of exciting.  We get that, of course, because we've been where you are. 

Like most, I was a bit apprehensive about the possible ramifications of my impending surgery but I had the utmost faith in my neurosurgeon and I prayed a lot along with many others who were praying for me.  I 'let go and let God'.  It wasn't easy because I like to be in control but I really had no choice as the Plunger Method wasn't perfected and besides, my wife wouldn't go for it.  Besides, my neurosurgeon was a highly experienced doctor who had 30 years of AN removal surgery on his resume.  So, I simply trusted God to see me through and to give me the strength to deal with any unfavorable consequences of the surgery.  Oh, there were a few; about 3 days of double vision, some (mild) equilibrium obstacles to overcome, minor 'dry eye' and a tiny numb spot on the side of my tongue.  That was about it.  Once the anesthesia fog lifted and my appetite returned, I was eager to go home.  Once home, I did rest - but not for long.  I dutifully performed  the balance exercises my VNA-physical therapist gave me and after 3 visits she pronounced me no longer in need of her services.  My doctor gave me permission to drive again after two weeks.  Although I tired a bit more easily than I used to, I was able to get out and around and do what I wanted.  Now, over two years later, I'm fine.  I trust you'll have a similar experience but you have to have the surgery, first.  In about 3 weeks, you will.  Lots of folks will be thinking of you, cheering you on and certainly praying for you, Andrea.  I'll be one of them.  :)   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.