Author Topic: Scheduled surgery date!  (Read 3429 times)

andrea in slc

Scheduled surgery date!
« on: October 17, 2008, 10:02:27 am »
Yippy! I have a surgery date! Wait, doesn't it seem wrong to be celebrating going in for brain surgery?  ??? ;)  Regardless, November 13 is my day. Relief! Get this thing out of my head and let me get back to my original abnormal state!  ;D

I'm confident with my docs here in Salt Lake - Dr. Frank Warren the neurotologist, and Dr. Mark Reichman the neurosurgeon. I'll be at the new Intermountain Healthcare hospital, which doesn't thrill me much, but oh well. My brother had a HORRIBLE experience there in April in the post-surgery ICU, so I'm hoping they've improved things since then.  :( If not, hey, at least we know what to expect and I'll have enough family around to make sure I'm not forgotten like my poor brother was.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help, support, knowledge, and fun. You guys rock!  ;D ;D

Andrea (walking away shaking my head because I'm actually EXCITED for brain surgery)

Kaybo

Re: Scheduled surgery date!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:51:51 am »
Andrea~
Only in this group would we understand celebrating a date for brain surgery!  Glad you were able to finalize it.  Personally, I would make sure your doc knows your concerns about the care of your brother after surgery and I would also say something when you go for your pre-op.  I have found that the people admitting you for pre-op are VERY accommodating & usually ask repeatedly if there is anything else that they can do - I would just at the end say, "Well, I am a bit concerned about this one thing..."  I would bet that you get outstanding care.  I made sure that EVERYONE (from Dr. to janitor...hee,hee...not really janitor but almost) knew that the anesthia made me INCREDIBLLY ill after surgery...they barely let me have chicken broth - that message did get conveyed!!  The squeaky wheel...
Make sure & put your date on the calendar!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:57:18 am »
Hi Andrea,
Congratulations on getting your date -- I understand, as we all do, your feeling of relief.  K is right, we are the only people would would agree that this is a cause for celebration! ;D  November 13 will be here before you know it and then you'll be a postie.  Voicing any concerns you have about the hospital or treatment  you'll get in ICUto your doctor now is an excellent idea.  As I'm sure  you realize, it is up to us as patients/consumers to be proactive regarding our care.

Wishing you all the best,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:50:50 pm »
Yes, weird as it sounds, I totally cheered when I got my surgery date.  Was really, really excited.  You'd have thought I won something.  Oh wait, I did.  A second chance.
:D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:00:50 pm »
Do know just how you feel, Andrea.  It is exciting to have the date finalized - you can now see an end in sight, of sorts.

Keep us posted!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 02:06:18 pm »
Hey Andrea..... it's the old "monkey off the back"... the stress of the decision making process is done... and like you, I couldn't wait to have my treatment done. I felt a renewed energy and just kept telling myself that I was ready to beat this dang thing and bring it on (actually, there are posts here in Archives about me saying those exact words when I made my decision).

Congrats to you!  One major stress down... let's get it done, let's get it out.. .let's move forward!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:58:37 pm »
I completely understand your excitement.  Please keep us updated before and after!!!

-Amy :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

andrea in slc

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 07:38:25 pm »
Thanks everyone! It makes me laugh that you all totally understand my excitment (I'm sure the nervous part comes later) to get this dang thing out of my head.

K and wendy, thanks for telling me to speak up about my concerns in ICU. I will, for sure! I don't want to be pusing the call button for 45 minutes and not have someone show up!

My husband and I were talking the other day, about how much easier this whole thing would be if we could just get a little plunger and plunge the sucker out of there. So now I have a mental picture of a mini toilet plunger, working up and down on my ear to get the tumor out. Okay, I'll be the first to admit it, I have a strange sense of humor.  ;D ;D

Now, 26 days to get the house in order, my bedroom cleaned up (where oh where to stash all the scrapbooking stuff?) and get all my Christmas shopping done. Yipes!  :o

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 10:52:36 pm »
Hey, Andrea, celebrating with you also  ;D

Yes, we're somewhat of a sick crowd  ;) LOL

Don't forget to put your surgery on the AN Calendar (link at bottom of sgerrard's profile) so we can have LA David remind us to wish you well on your big day.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 08:17:39 am »
Hey Andrea,
I was in such a hurry that I kept asking the doctors to remove the tumor in the office with a little novocain.    That's when I discovered that I was the only one who thought this was funny.  Well, also my husband was ready for the "do it yourself tumor removal kit".  So there are a few of us with a strange sense of humor.  Keep the faith, you're almost there.
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

calimama

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 09:58:28 am »
Good stuff... i think the before-surgery part is actually worse than the surgery itself, even the recovery. Best to get it over with and on with life.

Good luck with getting so many things done so you don't have to stress about that stuff after.

Trish in Toronto, Canada
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 01:20:41 pm »
Andrea,
I have to say I got a great laugh when I pictured your husband trying to remove your AN with a plunger.  Funny stuff!! ;D

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sher

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 01:06:22 am »
Andrea,
I am glad that you are on your way to treatment!!!!! Please let me know if I can do anything for you. I am just over the point of the mountain.
Sherry
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

bell

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 10:52:51 am »
Hi Andrea, I am a fairly new An patient, found tumor in July.  I am also excited about surgery.  Strange having this feeling, but I can not wait until it is out and I can move on with my life.
I have surgery scheduled at the Mayo Clinic, MN Nov. 21srt.   The best of luck to you. Bell

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 11:16:50 am »
Best wishes to you Andrea and I am also happy that you have a surgical date.  There will be a resolution to the problem soon, and hopefully you can then go about your business.  You know, that "Hmmm, where was I before I was so rudely interrupted?" thing.  ;)   

Hoping everything goes smoothly and you will be on the road to recovery soon,

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode