Author Topic: So how "rare" are ANs, really?  (Read 4544 times)

Charlotte Lady

Re: So how "rare" are ANs, really?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 09:50:56 am »
I was the first one my EENT had seen last year and I was diagnosed in July.  Interestingly enough the scheduler for the practice mentioned that AN's in that practice occur in groups.  She'd scheduled surgeries for 3 AN patients in the weeks before me but none since Feb.  I just was happy my surgeons had had a chacne to practice on three other people before me (ain't that evil of me).

The first EENT referred me to one of his partners who specializes in ANs. 

Donna from Charlotte
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 01:45:06 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I was told by my ENT that he sees maybe 3 people a year who are diagnosed with an AN.  When I went to the dr. here in Houston for my first visit with him, I told him that the HEI had read my MRI and they said I had a petrous meningioma.  He told me that was not his take on things, and besides, those are rare anyway.  I'm already rare---why can't I be even more rare!!

Mags
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 05:23:37 pm »
With more and more newbies...and lots of guests....I'm starting to think that it is becoming more and more common....Everybody should have an MRI scan of the head....I'm sure there would be more newbies if that were to happen.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 11:05:33 pm »
When I went to my PCP and we talked about my AN surgery, she had never known anyone to have an AN before.  My ENT who I have to give lots of credit to for ordering the MRI right away, had not seen one in 10 yrs. He also didn't know squat about them, told me that he didn't and suggested that I do some research on the internet until I could went to my appointment with the surgeon.  That's how I found this group.  ;D

CAthy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

joebloggs

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 09:50:49 am »
I've been told AN's occur 1 in 100,000 per head of population.  And statistically each GP or PCP (I think that's what you say in the US?) will only see one in their lifetime.

I guess that's pretty rare?!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 04:34:55 pm »
I've been told AN's occur 1 in 100,000 per head of population.  And statistically each GP or PCP (I think that's what you say in the US?) will only see one in their lifetime.

I guess that's pretty rare?!

Hi, Joe:

It sure is, although there is a strong suspicion that many more exist but go undetected primarily due to a lack of symptoms and mis-diagnosis.   

It's PCP for Primary Care Physician, usually an internist.  The GP label is basically defunct now here in the U.S. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.