Author Topic: Hi there, another newbie here.  (Read 4330 times)

andrea in slc

Hi there, another newbie here.
« on: September 22, 2008, 09:19:01 am »
Hi everyone! Holy cow, can I already say thank you so much for all the info on this site? I have learned a TON already, it helps with the freaked out feeling!

I'm a 41-year-old from Utah who started getting vertigo in February of 2007 (yeah, happy 40th birthday to me). Finally went to an ENT in late March, gave me the usual steroids and antivirals.  I also had an MRI with/without contrast, radiologist said nothing was there. I developed what I thought was Bell's Palsy in early April, and was diagnosed with Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome, which is caused by the chickenpox virus (think shingles, but it attacks 7th and 8th cranial nerves). The Bell's calmed down, I went for vestibular and balance therapy, helped somewhat, and for a time all was peachy. Last fall the dizziness/vertigo flared up again; this time steroids and antivirals didn't help, neither did the balance therapy. Since October of last year, it's been a rollercoaster ride to find out what the heck is going on.

Thankfully, my ENT listened to his gut,which told him to start testing all over again because something wasn't quite right. He called me last Wednesday, 2 hours after my MRI, to tell me I have an AN. Apparently, the %$&&*&* radiologist from 18 months ago read the MRI wrong, and somehow missed a 2.2 cm AN. He had the radiologist from this MRI check the previous one, and yep, there it is, in all its AN glory. Can I just say how angry I am and how much I want to hunt down and slap the crap out of the first radiologist? Oops, sorry, let me go get chocolate to calm down.  ;)

Anyway, now that I know what it is, there is a sense of relief from the uncertainty. Of course, now there is the nervous/scared/freaked out feeling of "oh yes, I will be having brain surgery."  Thanks to this wonderful site and the info from all of you, I'm a little more calm!

I have my first appt with a neurotologist on October 1, and we'll see where we go from there. I know this thing is supposed to be rare, but in a weird cooincidence, my sister-in-law's father has one too, and he's having his removed on November 8th. We thought it was pretty strange!

Off to read more info and become more informed. Another strange thing, I'm a medical transcriptionist, and I transcribe for both an ENT and a radiation oncologist. I'm keeping my ears open (at least the one that still works) for different treatment options.  ;D

Andrea

tenai98

Re: Hi there, another newbie here.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 10:03:20 am »
Hi Andrea and Welcome to our little elite club.  Ask any questions you wish as no questions are dumb.  We are all here for support and to give support if we can.

JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:29:35 am »
Wow! That`s one heck of a story. Well anyhow now you have what the problem is. This is a great site for finding out alot of info with alot of real nice people with similararities. Good luck going fowards, prayers are with you!. mickey

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 10:31:48 am »
Hi Andrea-

And welcome to our happy little group.  I was appalled to read about your radiology report - good grief!  Well, a least you have a firm diagnosis now and can start the process of trying to decide what course of action to take.  You may want to get an extra set of your film (on CD) and send it to House Ear Clinic in LA - they will do a free phone consult with you.  That was my first (of three) consults, and I was very glad I contacted them - even though I ended up having surgery closer to home in NY.  Please ask as many questions as you'd like - we aren't doctors, but we've all been down this road so we can certainly provide lots of moral support.  Meanwhile, I like your idea of chocolate and think I'll go find some myself!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

LADavid

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:35:02 am »
Hi Andrea
Welcome to the Forum.  You found a good place to be.  I do share your anger and frustration over your mis-diagnosis.  How does one go about missing a 2.2 CM tumor?  There is a wealth of information and advice here.  Please do ask away.  As I have always found, what may seem to be a silly question will always get an intelligent answer around here.  And guessing from your name (SLC) you've from Salt Lake City.  Beautiful place.
Best wishes
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

scarriegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:40:27 am »
hey andrea,

i actually had symptoms as long as 8 years ago and was tested for absolutely everything....except mri.  my doctor looked me in the eye and said "if it would make you feel better i'll give you an mri, but i promise you don't have a brain tumor."  so yeah...i know about that wanting to punch someone in the face feeling!!!  needless to say i no longer see that doctor. 

i just got my surgery date of nov 17 and after all the years of pain and searching for answers i can't tell you how excited and relieved i am!  we actually went out and drank good champagne to celebrate the night i found out my surgery was scheduled!! 

i hope you find the same relief and excitement once you have chosen a path and set your course.

good luck!
xx
carrie
"when you reach the end of the rainbow there's always another color!"
finally diagnosed 8/08
retro surgery scheduled nov. 17 at boston medical
there is a tennis ball in my ear!! at least it feels like it.

lori67

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 10:47:51 am »
Hi Andrea and welcome!

Maybe when you're done slapping that first radiologist of yours, you can go help Carrie kick her old doctor in the shins!!  Sounds like they both deserve it!

I'm glad you at least have a diagnosis now.  I know that can feel like a relief after so long.

Good luck at your doctor's appointment - I know it will go well, because October 1st is a very good day!!   ;)

I know these things are rare, but my dad had one too.  How does that happen?  I am beginning to think they're not as rare as the medical community thinks - just terribly misdiagnosed!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 11:26:30 am »
Hi, Andrea  ;D

I'm sorry to hear you were misdiagnosed - it happens more than you'd think - but I'm glad to hear you finally know what's going on.

Welcome to the forum.  I think you'll like it here.  Don't hestitate to ask us for advice, opinions, or information - we're not shy and we'll answer just about anything  ;)

If you haven't already, you might want to contact the ANA and ask them to send you some AN literature - it's fascinating reading and it's written in very basic terms - so even people like me can understand it  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 11:49:23 am »
Hi Andrea,
Welcome to the club no one really wants to join.  I'm sorry to hear you have an AN but glad you finally have the right diagnosis.  I think you'll find this forum a wonderful source of information and comfort.  We also enjoy a bit a hilarity now and then in AN Community which sometimes spills out to other areas, but Phyl keeps us in check.  Feel free to ask any questions or just vent -- we are all here to support you in any way we can.  As Debbi said, we aren't doctors, or most of us aren't anyway, I think there are a couple of doctors in this forum, those of us who have been where you now are can offer advice based on first hand knowledge.  I like your idea of having chocolate to calm down -- there's nothing like a good piece of chocolate.  Good luck with your appointment on October 1 and keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 12:37:30 pm »
Hi, Andrea:

Allow me to finally get to the front of the line and add my somewhat belated welcome.  :)

Obviously, we can all sympathize with your aggravation over the radiologist's astounding inability to see a 2.2 cm AN on your MRI scan.  Unfortunately, you're not the first AN patient to have this unpleasant experience. However, now that you have the AN diagnosis, you seem to be moving forward with alacrity.  Your October 1st appointment will be important and, as you noted, give you some direction.  Depending on it's exact location, your AN is still small enough for radiation, so that may be an option, along with surgery, of course.  You seem to be well aware of the benefits of this website and these forums so I expect you'll be posting messages in the weeks ahead as you continue on your 'AN journey'.  In the meantime, try to refrain from slapping the crap out of inept radiologists.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 03:04:14 pm »
Welcome Andrea!
I hear your frustration and can totally relate. My AN went misdiagnosed for 10 yrs. My ENT put a tube in my ear (I did not loose hearing as a symptom, just a full feeling among other things), when 1 year passed he wanted to put in a sinus window. HELLO I HAVE A BRAIN TUMOUR SILLY GUY! I was very frustrated and a bit angry thinking maybe I wouldn't have suffered facial paraylis IF someone would have found this years ago. I told my GP that I had a full feeling in my ear and pain behind my ear, like an ice pick. I told him I thought I had an acoustic neuroma (based on symptoms and research I had done) he told me there is no pain associated with an AN. Honestly I tried to ignore it like I was the ringing in my ear. It wasn't until I lost my balance in front of my kindergarten students that I thought hmmmmm I think I am in trouble here. I pushed my GP to send me to a neurologist and he said it was going to take 10 months to see a neurologist to have an MRI  (remember my GP didn't think it was important). Anyway my husband just about lost it and took me to emergency in Toronto (we live in a small town north of Toronto) when I had more trouble, and that is how the ball stated rolling then the discovery. I TOTALLY understand and have finally let go of those negative feelings - it is not good to harbour bad feelings when you are trying to fight for your health and recovery. Move on and fight hard to get better! Don't look back just look forward. Deadly emotions are just not worth the energy, you need the energy for what is coming up.
Be strong, you can do it and we are here for you! It is hard to believe it but things will look better once again! I hope that my doctors have learned a thing or two ~ listen to the patient.
Arm yourself with information.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 03:07:20 pm »
WELCOME TO THE BOARD....
I do find it strange that you know somebody else with one. Like somebody here just mentioned. I dont think that its as rare as the medical community makes it out to be....misdiagnoses, its not everyday people get an MRI on the brain. Also some AN's dont grow/or bother people so they dont even know and chalk it all up to allergies.

LOL!!!!! Very HAPPY you found us....
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 03:20:44 pm »
Hey Andrea... well, I can see that the "welcome wagon committee" has greeted you in fine form ;)... but.... not going to add anything here as I can see everyone is providing you a perfect welcome and started to share info/experiences... and as you note, you've been "lurking" for a while studying up... but.. will say this... glad you found us.

Again, welcome :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 04:38:40 pm »
Andrea~
Well, it has all been said but not from TEXAS - where everything is bigger - even the welsome!!   ;D  Know that we are here for you.  If you would like to contact me or need someone to chat with, feel free to PM me your number!  Also, you can check out my blog (address below) & see what my life is like almost 13 years after AN surgery!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 07:04:56 pm »
Hi Andrea,
You won't be a "newbie" for long.  We all seem to get through this, so you will as well.  This a great place to vent, to ask questions, and to help others. And of course, keep us posted.
Be well,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.