Author Topic: 8 weeks post-op and back to work!  (Read 7245 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: 8 weeks post-op and back to work!
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 07:30:04 am »
Hmmmm ???

Maybe Steve isn't Steve at all, but a doctor lurking among us  ;)

You never know  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 11:37:19 am »
* Well, Marci, have the lambs stopped screaming?   :o

Seriously, though, the cognitive issue is a real one. I think we mostly experience a sort of disconnect between our thoughts and our mouths, but that it is not a cognitive issue, it is more a physical coordination issue. Our voices don't sound the same to us, or the mouth movements don't feel the same, and that causes some built in feedback circuit to fire and say "you are not saying this correctly" - even if you are saying it correctly. The hesitations that result can interrupt concentration or cause us to lose the rhythm, and we sometimes get stuck on a word, or lose our train of thought because of the distraction.

I still experience something like this, but I am getting more and more used to it, and it doesn't interrupt me as much. I sometimes find myself speaking, and have the odd sensation that I am saying just what I mean to say, but it doesn't quite feel like my mouth saying it. I just let the slightly alien mouth keep talking, and it turns back into my mouth a few moments later. Okay, that sounded a little weird. But my point is that it is more like an eye/hand coordination problem, except it is your hearing/voice coordination that is getting thrown off by changes in hearing or facial nerves.

I'm convinced that our minds are still working just fine.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 12:58:34 pm »
Amen to that Steve ...

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

wendysig

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 01:29:13 pm »
Hi Marci,
It sounds like you're off to a good start.  I have to agree that any deficencies you percieve in yourself are probably totally missed by everyone else.  You need to give yourself a break -- you had brain surgery two months ago!  I'm sure your self confidence will return soon, you just need to settle in.  Since I am not working right now, I wish I had that kind of distraction and am working on my resume.  I am also planning to return to school part time in January and am really looking forward to it.   

Sending positive vibes your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 01:59:33 pm »
Steve the weird thing is I TOTALLY understood you! I felt like I could have wrote that.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 02:06:08 pm »
Steve, that is exactly right.  Yes, coordination more than cognitive.  Oh well.  At least I'm not crazy.  Or maybe I am? ;D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 06:37:48 am »
Steve,
As usual you probably hit the nail right on the head for most of us.  When I read posts like yours I definitely feel more normal!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!