Author Topic: Trouble typing  (Read 8587 times)

Boppie

Re: Trouble typing
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 08:43:22 pm »
Jan, I need some info. for Asha.  She is dealing with a spinal fluid leak from the tube removal she had today.  Do you know how this works?

goinbatty

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 08:47:51 pm »
I work from home and have for about 6 yrs now.  My work requires a lot of typing.  I can honestly say typos have gotten much worse since CK.  I always proofread emails and posts several times and sometimes still miss the errors.  Of course, I'm in that lovely age bracket where war of the hormones is sapping what brain cells I had left.  But I just take it all in stride and attempt to see the humor in it.  
My children are now 22 and 16.  I worked full time when they were younger, then eventually part-time and now full time from home.  Thank goodness it's been flexible in that I've been able to be the taxi service for them and their friends if needed.  Thoughout this time, I found the best conversations were in the car.  There is nothing to distract them.  Now that my younger one will possibly be driving to school in the fall, I know how badly I will miss those special times.  
I imagine working from home carries some of the same experiences as stay at home parents.  Even though I'm working, it's socially isolating.  Now that my children are in many ways independent, it's time for mom to regain a little of what has been on the back burner for years.  Yep, we're all passing into another phase of our lives.  Hopefully, I'll remain sane through it all - HA!  
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

lori67

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 12:15:10 pm »
Jim, that was a very sweet post!  Thank you.

I had to work full time when my older 2 were little, didn't have a choice, but when the younger 2 came along, we decided I'd stay home.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  My older ones went to a good friend of the family for day care - she was and still is like another grandma to them.  I couldn't ever hope to be fortunate enough to be in that situation again and if I couldn't be with my kids, she was the next best thing.

Having done it both ways, I can honestly say, it was much easier to go to work every day.  At least there they are required by law to let you have a lunch break, in which you normally get to sit down while eating.  You can go to the bathroom without everyone joining you, and you you sneak a cookie before dinner without being caught red handed!  But the hours of Sesame Street, playing patty-cake until my hands hurt and sitting in the plastic kiddy pool are definitely worth eating cold leftovers while clipping coupons and 10 other things.

When I was in the hospital for my AN surgery and my husband had to hold down the fort, the first thing he said when I got home was "I don't want your job!".

And Sandra, if you figure out a way to stay sane, let me in on the secret!! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jlamborn

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 05:52:05 pm »
I wanted to chime in too about the typos; I never had a problem before my surgery.  I had translab and really started noticing the typos, words I thought came out as something completley different and then throw in the "dyslexic" typos on top of that.  I was such a perfectionist and had a mind like a steel trap, I could remember everything like a filing cabinet in my head and never had to write anything down.  Now I'm keeping the post-it people in business.  You just have to laugh and move on and make sure your spell-checker is working  ;D
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009

lori67

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 06:48:08 pm »
Hi Jlamborn!

I used to have what people referred to as a "photographic memory".  I'm pretty sure it's out of film now though!  You and I should buy stock in the post-it note company!  I have enough of them all over that I could use them as wall paper!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 07:04:40 pm »
I have to agree with Jan about not trading my kids for anything in the world.  They are also a wonderful source of humorous stories.  I heard my 11 year old telling one of her friends about my upcoming surgery (the girls know about it, but I didn't realize they were listening when I was tallking to my sister, who wanted to know the details). Apparently, she heard more than I would have liked and was filling in her friend but her friend didn't believe her.  My daughter then brought her over to me and repeated my conversation with my sister almost word for word, it was a pretty accurate description of the surgery and her friend couldn't even look at me.  I felt bad for her, but my daughter said she told her because she thought it sounded to cool.  She also told me she thought my surgery would be a good story for Gray's Anatomy.  Which is something she's said before.  Go figure.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 07:47:54 pm »
I would gladly let McDreamy be my doctor!    ;)

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 11:10:56 pm »
Wendy -

although I've never seen Grey's Anatomy, I think your story would be a good one for them.  Just remember when you sell them the rights to ask for royalties.

Lori was once a guinea pig for some doctor - I forget the circumstances, but I'm sure she can fill you in - and she failed to asked for royalties.  Now she has to resort to letting her husband do surgery in their garage on weekends and working with me on BAHA gift packs just to make ends meet ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 01:29:48 am »
Lori,

I'll take McSteamy, but McDreamy is the neuro guy......and McSteamy is the plastic guy.....so I'm thinking maybe its a win win storyline ::)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

lori67

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 09:59:56 am »
Oh, good point Anne Marie... I could get everything fixed in one episode!

Jan, I was hoping to be able to get some cash for having my picture in a medical textbook somewhere, but I guess I wasn't photogenic enough... :(  Maybe if they change their minds and publish it, I can give James a day off from the garage surgery business.  Poor guy - it must get hot in there. 

Lori

wendysig

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 10:07:35 am »
Nicole,
Sorry I never responded to your reply.  I too attributed my trouble typing to being rusty at first and my mind working faster than my fingers.  After a while though skills do come back and since I was an excellent typist 120 words per minute 98% accuracy it seemed clear this was not the problem.  It has to be the AN causing problems.  During this very short post I corrected my mistakes at least five times, so I know what you meant.  Thanks for your reply.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 12:19:10 pm »
Jan, I was hoping to be able to get some cash for having my picture in a medical textbook somewhere, but I guess I wasn't photogenic enough... :( 

Well, if you truly are 116 like your daughter said, I can totally understand why you aren't photogenic enough  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

er

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 02:33:34 pm »
Yes wendysig , I also have the problem. I put my typing on word processor so I can reread and spell check. My brain seems to want to do one thing and I want to do another.
eve

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 06:00:37 pm »
I can relate to the trouble typing.  Can anyone relate to memory loss?  I'm a creature of habits, but sometimes I can remember my habit.  Its scary.  I went shopping on Saturday with my cousin and sister-in-law.  Twice I put down my sun glasses, which I normally put in my purse, than while leaving the store I panic because I can't find them.  My SIL picked them up both times.  Than I put down the gift I bought for my oldest son's girlfriend and a sales girl come running after me as I was leaving with the bag. 

What scares me the most is when someone calls me on the phone, we will have a conversation and afterwards my husband will ask who called and I can't remember.  I can't even remember the conversation.  Its gotten really bad.  It has to be the neuroutin I'm on.  Shoot it scares me about returning to work, dealing with money, accounts and the banking system.  I had a terrible time after my surgery and my bosses were not sympathetic.  I had enough sense to go off when I became very manic when I was on the prednisone. 

I'm only 48.  I had an amazing memory.  It has to be the med's and the stress of watching & waiting.  That's my story and I sticking to it!!!  Sometimes my boys think I've lost it because I get their work schedules confused.  Well I have four of them, I think anyone would be confused ::)

Anne Marie 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

lori67

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 07:35:31 pm »
Anne Marie - if you can at least remember the names of your 4 boys and use them appropriately at least most of the time, I'd say you're doing pretty well.  My Dad had 4 daughters and any time he'd call us, he'd wind up going through all of our names and sometimes the dog's name before he finally figured it out.  And this was before he had Alzheimer's! 

Schedules?  Forget it... I wouldn't even attempt that.  That's what calendars and post it notes are for!  :D