Author Topic: Those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer!  (Read 4046 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer!
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:11:46 am »
It is Monday morning, 8 A.M., and I am still in my jammies.  I have had my coffee, read the paper, and enjoyed the morning on the patio with the cats.  Boy, do I love the first few days of summer vacation!  My last day of school was Friday, and I have already been to Barnes and Noble with my stack of gift cards from students so I can stock up on my supply of books.

I still have to go back to school to clean, sort, and file.  That is the fun part.  Then I have to start on the painting projects that got interrupted last summer when I found out I had a brain tumor.  Sure feels good to be on this side of that news!

Happy June to all.  I don't have any vacation plans thanks to medical bills, but the gift of free time and good health are all the blessings I need right now!  :D :D

Gratefully,
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

Re: Those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:59:34 am »
Priscilla~
As I write this, it is almost 10:00 and only 1 of my angels is up!!  I got up with Dave so he wouldn't have to get ready for work all alone.  It was nice to have a calm & quiet house!  I have done a couple of loads of laundry - we are folding & putting up that (& the stack that accumulated the last week of craziness of end of school activities!) before we do anything FUN!  I'm such the mean mom!  The 2 older girls leave for camp on the 12th and Kendie is going to Houston to "Camp Grandma" on the same day - my niece is flying out to get her so I don't know when I'll be in Houston.  I don't even know what I will doing during the days when they are away and Dave is at work!!  Yes, we LOVE the lazy, hazy days of summer too!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 09:12:26 am »
Priscilla,
Ah, enjoy those "lazy" summer days :) I'm sure  there's so much to do on your list, but what a great feeling not to have to "go to work" for a while.
Enjoy your good health and time to just "be."
What a blessing.
We don't have much going on this summer either, for ONCE. No moves, no brain surgery, no major crisis (yet :o). (Actually, maybe a third surgery for me, but we'll see......)
We're just getting the third and last child into driver's ed. Hopefully smooth sailing on that.
K- enjoy your time with your 3 little girlies. They grow sooooo fast, especially now.
I remember trying to "work" and then "play" with the kids. That was hard work getting them to work!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:07:07 pm »
Gearing for the lazy, hazy etc etc here in Boston.... the "Boys of Summer" are playing.... the new grille has been used a number of times so far this season... and I'm ready for warm weather. Someone, kindly blow it this way, will ya?

*looks at Kaybo*  :-*  :-*

Yep, she should have enough warm weather to send in this direction!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 08:20:36 pm »
Priscilla -

although I am confident I could never be a teacher, I certainly envy your summers off.  Enjoy yourself - you deserve it  ;D

Wish it were me.  I've got a full work schedule - which was recently made infinitely worse by the untimely demise of my boss.  No, he didn't die - he was unexceptedly fired a few weeks ago - which has increased my workload tenfold  :'( 

The weather was great here this past weekend - the kids got pool passes and I didn't see much of them on Saturday or Sunday - and although we had rain today it was nice and warm.

Due to a flood in their school - and lots of extra snow days - this year, my kids don't get out until June 19.  I just got next year's calendar and they actually go back August 19.  Makes for a very short summer; and two very disappointed kids.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:32:28 am »
I have lots of projects to occupy my time.  I am waiting for the A/C guy to come and tinker with the unit.  I need to paint. clean, and eventually (maybe next summer) take down wallpaper.  The garage door opener has been out of commission for a year, so the sweet hubby will be reminded to do something about that.  He's a teacher now that he has retired from being a chem engineer, so he has the summer off also.  Even with all the projects, I love the change in routine. I can watch the late movie w/out guilt over being cranky and tired around kids.
I have one more year before I retire w/30 years under my belt.  Then I will have to find a new adventure. Already tried brain surgery....there must be something else more fun that I can do! :D  Hey Steve....how hard was it to teach yourself to knit?  Is the a Knitting for Dummies that I can peruse? My sister got all the usable talent available in the gene pool, so I have my doubts about knitting. Hm-m-m-m-m-.....

Priscilla

Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Lilan

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:31:54 pm »
I come from a family of many schoolteachers, and my entire career I have wondered, "Where's my summer off?"

This year, I got my answer.  ;) :o ;D
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 12:57:29 pm »
I just put some SUMMER pics of the girlies up on my blog if anyone cares to look...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 03:01:40 pm »
Brings back memories K - what wonderful pictures.
& the post op AN picture to now - WOW,  THAT brought back memories too ! !

Always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 03:12:44 pm »
On a farm there is never a vacation ...just slow times ...and summer isn't one of them

I am a hay widow for next few weeks ... then a truck driver once all is baled ...Bo for some reason
took on 89 acres of hay to cut on the halves besides our own 60 ... I think he is flipping crazy... he has
spent about 50 hours on a tractor from Thursday until last night around 7pm  and got 69 of the 89 cut
and baled ... he stopped due to thunderstorms that are suppose to arrive today and will finish it from Thursday
through the weekend if weather monkeys have our forecast right ....at least since it is round bales we
don't have to get it up immediately... a little rain on it won't hurt it ... square bakes we would have had to
hire an army and got up as it was baled ... when the half hay is done we start ours and will likely finish up
mid month and then repairs and upkeep to tractors and equipment will be done when he comes in from his
public job ... then mid July if we get rain we get to do it all over again

we spend all summer cutting hay and all winter feeding it with slow downs in the fall and spring ....

I have been put in charge of cow mid-wife duty ... three down and 2 to go ... all three bull calves which meant Bo had to
catch black calves in the dark and band them after he came in... I don't band bull calves ...I have in the past but with
just me and the girls as my protection , I am not willing to risk a cow smashing me while I am sitting on her calf trying to
get the job done ....

have a few more cows that will calf at the end of the month ... so far so good just checking and watching a couple
times a day ... no new heifers due til August and they are the trouble givers if anyone is going to be ...knock wood
we haven't had to pull a calf in about 2 years ...
only bad part is the bouncing up the hill and to the back of the hollow where the cows have decided is the best place
to have their babies ...it is cooler ... the ride there and back home just about wipes me out and I get back home a
wobbling drunk without taking a sip...I need a helocopter  8)

the girls got out last Friday and go back August 3rd ... they have cut our year back a little bit each year over
last couple years ... they used to start back the last Monday in August now they go back the first monday...before
it is over with they want us on the 9 weeks on 2 weeks off school year that I see as totally confusing ...

I will send anyone that wants it some hot weather... we were in mid 70s first of  last week , mid 80s by the end
of the week and are now in mid 90s ... good hay drying weather but after all the rain we have had it is a steam
bath outside...

and sometime in all of this I have to finish getting Day Camp together for as it stands now 86 girls ...my two are going
to 4-H camp from the 15th -19th then Girl Scout Day Camp is the following week ...was asked to go to 4-H by the
extension agent but need that week off and kid free to go party and have any time off as well as tie up lose Day Camp
ends

well so much for farm report ... I guess it is a hazy crazy report with no time for lazy ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 03:20:27 pm »
Soundy!
I was just thinking about you the other day and thinking that I needed to PM & check on you!!  Sounds like you have been super busy!  Glad you are doing well.

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 03:26:00 pm »
PS ...

we almost lost my FIL this morning ...

he had rode his riding lawn mower over here to look at the pool and the 4-H chickens ... he wants to buy a
few from the girls after judging at the fair ...then he started cutting the lawn just becasue it is there and
he had nothing else to do ...

he is diabetic ,can't see good and lost a leg just after my surgery... he was talking to the girls and I had come in
because the sun was giving me a headache ...I heard him leave and the girls were on the porch... they came running
in screaming and all I hear is Papa and dead ...I run out the door thinking he had tipped the mower or pulled out
in front of someone ... got out just in time to see him mow over the last 10 feet of my 100 foot long swatch of
day lilies  >:( ... I started with 5 bulbs about 12 years ago and have divided and put clumps down the drive until last fall
when I figured I was going to finally have a full line instead of clumps ... no line this year ... they will grow back but
thought of running down and  pushing him out in traffic...may have taking 30 minutes or so for the traffic to come
but I could have waited  ;D

he gets bored and gets on the mower and helps people ... he probably thought he was doing us a favor getting rid
of that big old thick clumps of grass  ... what the girls were tripping over each other to say was
you are gonna kill Papa

PSS ...Kaybo ...busy ain't the word ...I love to see Fall get here to get a break...not that I have really did much last 2 years just
always busy in summer and winter
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 03:54:12 pm »
Thanks Nancy!  Actually, if you are talking about the horrible, swollen picture, that is from the T3 - I didn't look NEAR that bad after the AN surgery!  ;)

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 04:15:14 pm »
K:  I know,  my AN surgery was bad enough,  but the T3 - OMG ! !
It WAS harder,  but worth every minute -
I would do it again in a minute, minus the lower lid surgery.....
I am so grateful to have a closed mouth smile ! !

Boy, have we been through the ringer,  but sooooo happy with the end result ! !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Cheryl R

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 04:57:41 pm »
Soundy, oh your poor flowers!           Sorry to hear of their being mowed over.           I don't have day lilies but we have other periennals and that can be what makes one happy and give a smile for the day to see ones you have worked at to get a good amt of.           To smell a lilac is heaven but that is over now.   The peonies are blooming now and look so pretty.
       Good thing there was no worse mower accident though!                          Youi sound like you keep very busy!
                   We are not as warm as you but that won't be long,                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care