Author Topic: help.. the ringing in my ear is so loud  (Read 1854 times)

laurenfor29

help.. the ringing in my ear is so loud
« on: May 31, 2010, 11:18:16 am »
i have woke this morning with the most intense ringing.. louder then usual.. i mean it is always loud but today it is out of control loud. pianfully loud. i take 1 mg of lorazapam to help me deal with it but i am worried, with it being memorial day what should i do. will i be o.k.? i know it's not going to kill me but what if something has changed with my tumor. my surgery is schedualded for june 28th. should i call my dr. or am i just freeking out.. well i know i am freeking out.. it makes me looney ??? :'( :'( :'( :'(

Cheryl R

Re: help.. the ringing in my ear is so loud
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:42:30 am »
Lauren,    You will be ok.    There is nothing Hansen will do or change with the increased tinnitis.      Tinnitis can vary from time to time and day to day.     Take the lorazepam but he may not even change what dose you are taking and would say to just take it on the prescribed way.     It may stay worse or it may not.     Tomorrow it might be better or might not.    I have had varying types of tinnitis and it is very annoying.               Did you drink more of caffeine or alcohol or eat something more salty.   Makes a difference to some people.   Sleep less last night.        Try to occupy yourself and keep your mind off it.       This month ahead will be nerve wracking waiting for the surgery but take good care of yourself.             It is a nice Iowa day and hang in there!     Cooler up here than yesterday and tomorrow is to be warmer again.
                                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

laurenfor29

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:56:10 am »
thanks cheryl. yes i did drink alot. and i have been drinking alot everyday to be honest. just talking about it makes me want a drink. it is just so maddening.. and i have another symptom which i have had for over a year. swallowing?? like my pills get stuck in my throut and food.. then it slowly desolves, and nothing i do makes this any better.  i hate it. it is almost like there is a pocket there,, weird.. i dont sleep well at all,, ever.. i just nap alot.. my productivity level is and has gone down the tubes,, frustrating.. gosh i am just a downer,, i get so weepy and i just dont like myself right now.. is depression one of the symptoms too?

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 01:30:53 pm »
Lauren, do you have any problems with heartburn? When I was diagnosed with acid reflux, my chief complaint was that it felt like I had a pill stuck and it wouldn't go down.  Alcohol can irritate your esophagus and make the reflux worse. Watch what you eat and drink for a few days and see if that helps.

Hang in there, sweetie.  You are dealing with a lot these days and it is OK to get down in the dumps.  Let us know how we can help!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

moe

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:56:35 am »
i dont sleep well at all,, ever.. i just nap alot.. my productivity level is and has gone down the tubes,, frustrating.. gosh i am just a downer,, i get so weepy and i just dont like myself right now.. is depression one of the symptoms too?

Hi Lauren,
Definitely the tinnitus increases with stress, lack of good restful sleeping, and alcohol. I have it and it sucks.
Being outside helps muffle the sound.
 It IS perfectly normal to be weepy and depressed. Comes with the territory. You'll feel so much better after the surgery is over.

Good point about the heartburn Priscilla! What do people take over the counter for reflux besides the prilosec stuff? Pepto bismal? Maalox? Maybe try something to soothe the tummy and esophagus.

Hang in there, we all know what you're going through. Come here for cyber hugs and empathy/sympathy.
Hope your memorial day was bearable.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:02:10 am »
Honey I totally understand where you're at, hopefully you can go out and enjoy some time with the people that care about you.  IT always helps to have people around to help get your mind off things.  Reach out to them, they are here and so are we.
Don't feel like you are a downer, this is a stressful process and I can tell you I drank a lot of wine before my surgery  :)
Hang in there and come to us when ever you need to.  Feel free to PM and I'll give you my number if you want to talk.

One day at a time,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 02:48:52 pm »
Lauren .....

First, take slow deep breaths to help with your panic.

Second, make sure your doctor (or at least his office) is aware of your swallowing issues. 

Third, try to modify the quantity of any alcohol or caffeine intake to reduce the horrible tinnitus.

You will make it to the 28th ..... just try to focus on other things as much as you can.  Get out and do some fun things with your family.  Make some meals ahead to freeze.  Anything to keep your mind off the upcoming surgery.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011