Author Topic: Balance problems - still--need your thoughts/opinions  (Read 8600 times)

Jeanlea

Re: Balance problems - still--need your thoughts/opinions
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 01:48:28 pm »
Joe, I'm similar to you.  Most days my balance is pretty good.  If I have a bad eye day my balance isn't quite as good.  I learned from my vestibular therapist that we use our balance nerve, eyesight, and bottoms of our feet for balance.  Since the nerve on one side is gone we have to rely on the other ones.  My therapist had me doing many activities with my eyes closed.  They were not my favorites, but they did help.  Still can't stand on one leg with my eyes closed though.  :-)

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 08:36:29 pm »
7 months post op.  I am 64.  Today I had dizziness when I used my monocular, also when I bent forward to use the long handle tree saw to prune a branch.  I shouldn't be surprised!  I refuse to give up doing fun things and jobs I always did for my daily living.   I walk in the dark house every night.  But wow, how I feel like I'm a child playing blind man's bluff.  Running is a joke for me!   ;D

Like all AN patients I keep on going on.  My Dad used to say "Ya know, you'll never get out of this life alive."  ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2006, 04:27:42 pm »
I'm 63 and - at this posting - 5 weeks post-op for a large (4.5) AN tumor removed via the retrosigmoid approach.  Although I'm deaf in one ear my balance is probably about 90% of 'normal'.  I walk a lot...about 2 + miles per day in good weather... and don't have any dizzyness.  I drive with no problems  (and my surgeons blessing).  No trouble bending down - unless I try to do it too quickly. 

I really feel I'm getting better every day and my surgeon is both mystified and elated with my progress.   I just pray that it continues!

EDIT:   Now 6 weeks post op and no real dizzyness.  My balance continues to return to normal as my brain and body compensate.  I think this is fairly common for post-op AN patients.  It just takes a little time.    Jim
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 01:00:15 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nannettesea

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 06:00:10 pm »
I'm impressed with recovery for both Boppie and Jim.  Jealous, actually.  It is so strange the rate  at which people recover.  I had little vestibular disruption prior to my cruise and dive, and dizziness just persists.

But it will go away...one day at a time.
Thanks for sharing,
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05