Author Topic: I think I will be a newbie on this board  (Read 5393 times)

sgerrard

Re: I think I will be a newbie on this board
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 11:40:35 pm »
Can I still be a member of this group?  You guys are just so awesome.

Well if you put it that way, then I suppose so.  ;) 

We actually have a fair number of not-AN members, including various menigiomas, hemangiomas, and other-omas, plus folks with hearing issues, balance issues, sinus issues, Meniere's disease - all sorts of things that can make you wonky headed. The more the merrier.

I'm glad to hear Les doesn't have an AN. I hope you find a doctor and a diagnosis that brings some relief of symptoms.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 07:22:45 am »
Norma,

I'm also glad ot hear that Les doesn't have an AN.  If we can help, that's what we're here for.  As Steve said, not all our members  have ANs.

Good luck in finding the cuase to Les' problems and keep us posted.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 07:49:02 am »
Norma .....

So glad it is not an AN ..... but, I want to congratulate you on being persistent until finding a diagnosis.  We have too many stories of people who ignored their symptoms or were misdiagnosed (brushing people off without doing an MRI with contrast).  Now maybe you can relax just a bit ..... and I know you will stay vigilant to lack of improvement or changes in his symptoms.

And, by all means stick around.  That's what we are here for ..... to support!   :-*

Let us know how the otologist appointment goes.  That could be helpful information since the auditory nerves are greatly involved in AN patients.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 04:33:50 pm »
Belated greetings from NJ!

So glad to hear that it is not an Acoustic Neuroma.  However, that doesn't mean you can't hang out with us!  I think our only requirment is having an ear (functional or not) and a brain.  :D  Hope you keep us posted on what you learn.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »
Norma ~

As I stated in my original post to you on this busy thread, I really hoped Les wouldn't be found to have an acoustic neuroma, so like everyone else, I'm delighted to learn that he doesn't, after all.  His permanent hearing loss is unfortunate and we can readily empathize with that, whatever the cause.  I hope the doctors can find and help alleviate the source of Les' symptoms.   

Along with many others, I'm flattered by your kind words about the folks on these forums and impressed at your desire to remain a member.  Of course you can!  We have to follow your story and learn how the doctors solve the mystery of Les' symptoms!  Seriously, Norma, thanks for posting and we all wish you and your husband better days - and look forward to reading your posts in the weeks and months to come.  You're among friends here and most welcome, anytime, so - don't be a stranger!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 11:53:38 am »
Norma -

I'm so glad to hear that Les does not have an acoustic neuroma  ;D

An MRI with contrast is the way to diagnosis one - so since his showed nothing (tumor-wise, that is) I wouldn't worry about a possible mis-diagnosis.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ncutt

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 09:18:47 pm »
Well, the story goes on...

Went to an ENT, he looked in Les' ears, nose and throat and said, "I looked at your MRI and I think what you have is Sudden Sensoriineural Hearing Loss but can't know for sure unless we do an autopsy.  Guess he had a sense of humor.  He doesn't think Les will get back his hearing in that ear and needs hearing aids.  I told him, thank you, but we would like a second opinion, so now we are waiting to get an appt with an otologist in Bend, OR. 

Can't find any great support groups for that condition.

wendysig

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 12:06:07 am »
Hi Norma.

Your ENT  does seem to have a rather droll sense of humor!  I think you and Les are wise to see the otologist.  Even if his diagnosis is the same, at least that will put your minds at rest.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 01:20:45 am »
Can't find any great support groups for that condition.

What do you mean? You have already found one.  ;)

I'm pretty sure that "Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss" means that Les suddenly lost his hearing, and they don't really know why.  ::)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ncutt

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 12:34:39 pm »
Oops!  Didn't finish my sentence!

Can't find any great support groups for that condition like this one, so guess you guys are stuck with me!