Author Topic: Radiotherapy: How successful is it?  (Read 3706 times)

Geminigirl

Radiotherapy: How successful is it?
« on: February 23, 2016, 12:49:08 pm »
Hi all,

After reading some of the posts here about radiotherapy it is kind of discouraging. It seems that for some people at least, the side effects and the results are not as good as some of the PR. Have the methods of treatment improved over the years? Do some center really have a 98% success rate-- and what does that mean- 98% for how many years?

Also, is it possible to have a second round of radiotherapy if the first one failed? And is you were considering this as an option, where would you go regardless of geography?

Thanks,

Geminigirl

rupert

Re: Radiotherapy: How successful is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 07:10:13 pm »
The key words in your post are "some people".  Side effects may or may not occur whatever treatment you decide on.  There  can be more severe side effects with surgery simply by the nature of the procedure but, I'm sure many people have little to no side effects or only small bumps in the road so to speak whatever the procedure.   These forums don't represent everyone that has had treatment,  only a small fraction and usually when there is an issue and they are looking for help and support so sometimes you don't get the rosiest of pictures.   GK  surgeons at UPMC in Pittsburg told me when I had my procedure that there was a 98% success rate on AN's of  the size I had.  I would highly recommend them and have many times here.  First class all the way. My procedure was 6 years ago and has been very successful and I haven't had any side effects from the treatment.  I have no statistics on this just opinion,  that a high percentage of people with small to mid size AN's seek out GK or CK and have those procedures done and no one ever knows about them.  Only a few show up here.  Some with  issues and some not. Good luck to you.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 01:46:08 pm »
After reading some of the posts here about radiotherapy it is kind of discouraging. It seems that for some people at least, the side effects and the results are not as good as some of the PR. Have the methods of treatment improved over the years? Do some center really have a 98% success rate-- and what does that mean- 98% for how many years?

Here's an article about long-term follow-up studies of Gamma Knife results:

http://thejns.org/doi/pdf/10.3171/2012.7.GKS12783

Also, is it possible to have a second round of radiotherapy if the first one failed?

Yes.

See the following study of repeat SRS:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19783373

And is you were considering this as an option, where would you go regardless of geography?

I would go where the experts have the most experience with ANs. Fortunately, these days, there are lots of choices.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

john1455

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 03:28:31 pm »
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs