Author Topic: Tumbleweed's 1-yr followup ('bye 'bye tumor!!!)  (Read 4412 times)

Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed's 1-yr followup ('bye 'bye tumor!!!)
« on: June 21, 2009, 02:04:14 pm »
 Hi, everyone:

I just had my 1-year (11+ months) followup MRI and audiogram (post-CK) and have terrific news to report: my AN has shrunk -59% in volume in the last 6 months!!!!  :)  :)  :)  :) That is, it is now less than half the size it was just 6 months ago.

My wife and I were floored (in a positive way) by the news, especially because my tumor had swelled +36% in volume in the 5 months following CK. It is now 13.6% smaller than when it was first diagnosed a year and a half ago.  :) Dr. Chang told us it was highly unusual for an AN to shrink that quickly and that it usually takes 5 years (post-CK) to see that degree of shrinkage, so I am profoundly grateful for being so lucky. There are far less signs of necrosis in my present MRI than in the one that was taken at 5 months post-CK (6 months ago); Dr. Chang believes that process is now coming to an end and necrotic tissue is scarring over (scar tissue shows up white in an MRI, just like living tumor tissue does).

Unfortunately, I lost another 15 dB of hearing in my midrange frequencies over the past 6 months. At 2 kHz, that equates to a 30dB loss since getting CK.  :( But I gained back 10 to 15 dB that had previously been lost in the bass frequencies. Dr. Chang thinks I won't lose any more hearing, but I also won't get any more back. Because the tumor necrosis (and attendant inflammation that irritates the hearing nerve) is near the end of its process, he thinks my hearing won't degrade any further. I am now a candidate for a hearing aid, but Dr. Chang wants to wait another year until my audiograms (hopefully) stabilize before I'm fitted for one. He doesn't want me to be chasing a changing hearing response with a new hearing aid every six months.

The second lesion that had been discovered six months ago (it had been overlooked in previously taken MRIs) is now confirmed to be a hypoglossal schwannoma (brain tumor).  :( However, Dr. Chang compared three previous MRIs (taken over the last 19 months) to the current MRI and noted it has not changed in size, so he recommends I watch-and-wait on that one. It is very small (7 x 7 x 6 mm), I have no symptoms related to that tumor, and the hypoglossal nerve is very resilient (not easily damaged).

So, on balance, this is terrific news. It's very possible my hearing would've suffered even without getting the CK, as it was consistently going downhill on my AN side before I got treated.

I have no idea of knowing whether or not the diet and supplements I'm on have helped my AN shrink so fast, but I suspect the proteolytic enzymes I've been taking (Flavenzym and bromelain) may have accelerated both the tumor necrosis and shrinkage. For those interested in this, here is a link for more info on the Sloan-Kettering website:  http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69342.cfm

These enzymes had no discernible effect on my tumor's growth before I had CK. After I got CK, I doubled my dose of enzymes. Other supplements I started taking after CK include vitamin E (1200 IUs per day, split into 3 equal doses of 400 IU, taken on an empty stomach). My reasoning was that vitamin E is both a nervous-system nutrient and prevents scar tissue from forming. I theorized that if I could keep the AN from scarring over after CK, it would shrink more readily.

Who knows, this could all be coincidence and my tumor might have shrunk as dramatically as it has without me doing anything special. There's no way of knowing, and these tumors are not very well understood. But because I've had such unusually positive results the past 6 months, I'm going to stick with my program for another 6 months. Dr. Chang believes my tumor won't shrink significantly any further. But I'm swinging for the fences!  :)

Best wishes to all,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Tumbleweed's 1-yr followup ('bye 'bye tumor!!!)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 02:11:07 pm »
Great news Tumbleweed ! !  & thank you for the link to the Sloan-Kettering website.

Continued healing my friend,   always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:01:27 pm »
Wonderful, Tumbleweed!  So happy to hear of the shrinking of the tumor & let's hope that the other one continues to stay where it is!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 07:08:55 pm »
Congratulations, Tumbleweed  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cin605

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 07:17:52 pm »
Congrats!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

mk

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 10:14:59 am »
Tumbleweed,

that's terrific news, congratulations. I like the "bye bye tumor" stories. Your AN seems to be quite "unique" in its response, in that it swelled a lot and then shrank a lot, all in a period of 12 months. This obviously explains the intense symptoms that you were having and which I am presuming are long gone.

Dr. Chang's explanation on the hearing aspect makes sense, and hopefully you won't have any further degradation of hearing. Did he mention about your word discrimination score? Since he talked about a hearing aid, this probably means that you still have good speech discrimination.

Hopefully the HS will behave itself and not give you any trouble for a long-long time.

All the best,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Tisha

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 11:10:39 am »
OH Tumbleweed,  it does my heart good to hear your great success story!!  You have been such a friend these past 9 months, sharing all you know and ALWAY responding..that I just have to smile to find out this latest news.  I also agree with Dr. Chang about the hearing aid and here is why.  I wear a hearing aid in my non-AN ear.  Due to a virus (they think) 12 years ago, I've slowly been losing hearing.  I finally had to relent 2 years ago and get a hearing aid, which is invaluable in that ear. However, I've noticed that when I take it off....my hearing is worse in that ear than before.  Sort of like wearing glasses for just reading, then having to depend on them all the time. 

I have my 6 month MRI in 3 weeks.   I'm anxious to see what mine is doing.  I'll have to report back in.  I need to schedule my audiogram, also.

Great news and congratulations, TW!

Tisha
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:12:52 am by Tisha »
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:13:24 pm »
Thanks so much, everyone, for your support and well wishes!

Marianna, my word recognition score on my last audiogram was 84, so not too bad. And yeah, all the intense symptoms I had immediately after CK disappeared within six months (with the first couple months being by far the worst). Aside from mild disequilibrium and (much improved) tinnitus, I'm feeling great!  :) I feel that doing CyberKnife was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. Thank God for that technology and for my doctors, Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs.

Tisha, you raise a point that I was wondering about. I'm a bit reticent to get a hearing aid because I'm afraid I'll become totally dependent on it and my hearing will worsen over time without being exercised without one. Anyway, I've got a year to figure it out. I do admit I'm starting to get tired of saying "What?" so much when people talk to me.  ::)

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words.

Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 12:19:15 pm »
P.S. Tisha, good luck on your 6-month MRI three weeks from now! If the MRI shows your tumor has swelled, please take comfort in my story and know that any swelling is probably temporary and not an indication of things to come. I was pretty bummed and a little fearful when I learned my tumor had swelled 36% in volume at the 5-month mark. Little did I know that that was the forerunner to an incredible shrinking act that would take place over the next six months.  :)

We'll all be waiting anxiously to hear your results, Tisha.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 12:44:14 pm »
TW,

Me is feelin' a celebratory hugglez coming at you for the terrific news! :)  Continued wellness wishes from me and you! Great news! :)

Bye Bye Brain Booger is more like it :D

Congrats!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 02:04:12 pm »
Tumbleweed ~

I just had to add my heartfelt congratulations on your excellent MRI report and your Incredible Shrinking Tumor!  ;)  Overall good news on your hearing retention, too.  Whatever you did, suppliments or not, you've done well.  Good job!  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 05:38:50 am »
Tumbleweed,

Congratulations on your shrinking tumor -- excellent news!  Glad to hear that your hearing remains pretty good too and I hope it stays that way.  A year seems like a long time to wait for a hearing aid when you say it, but I think you'll find thatthe time will fly by.

Congratulations,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tisha

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 09:30:08 am »
Tumbleweed,

Before I got my hearing aid, I was saying "what" quite a bit and turning my good ear towards the speaker.  I had moderate to severe loss in the high pitched tones, and mild to medium in the low pitched tones.  My ENT told me that if I did not get a hearing aid, I would eventually go deaf in that ear because I wasn't "working" it.  Eventually the sounds would not be turned into recognizable words by my brain.  That scared me enough to get a hearing aid, and it was great to finally stop saying "what".   However, I really do think my hearing is noticeably worse without the hearing aid now.

Unless my AN ear shows a drastic change in my word recognition and puretone loss, I won't get a hearing aid in that one.  However, what I will always remember what the ENT told me if I start to notice a decline each year.  Just something to think about.  AGain...congrats and I'll let you know my stats. 

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

sher

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 01:43:38 am »
Tumbleweed,
So excited to hear of your shrinking tumor. I too am hoping that mine will be doing the same. I am at 9 months now and am having some more swelling issues. I have not had a hearing test since ck last oct. My ck docs are not taken very much of an interest in me... thus I have to instigate what I want to have done. I am praying for good results as you have had. Thanks so much for all your posts and the info that you have shared. I will keep everyone posted when I get my next MRI. I haven't decided if I am going to wait until year mark or get one sooner.
congrats!
Sher
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

Tumbleweed

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 03:06:18 pm »

Unfortunately, I lost another 15 dB of hearing in my midrange frequencies over the past 6 months. At 2 kHz, that equates to a 30dB loss since getting CK. 
Tumbleweed

I looked at my past audiogram results today and discovered the audiologist had made a mistake in transcribing data from my previous audiogram (taken in December '08) onto the graph of my recent audiogram (taken a  week ago). I only lost another 5 dB of hearing at 2 kHz in the past 6 months (a statistically inconclusive amount). So my additional hearing loss over the past 6 months isn't quite as bad as the audiologist noted and I had intitially reported in this thread. The lesson here: always check your medical reports for errors -- I've seen a number of errors (in MRI reports, as well) concerning tests related to my AN over the years.

For others who have recently had or are contemplating having CK, here is my post-treatment experience in terms of hearing preservation: In total, I've lost 20dB of hearing in the midrange frequencies between 1  and 2 kHz but gained 15 to 20 dB of hearing back in the bass frequencies (at and below 500 Hz) since getting CK a year ago. My speech threshold is 15 dB worse (40 dB vs 25 dB) since getting CK a year ago, and my word recognition score has gone from 100 to 84 (still not too bad).

Thanks to everyone who has posted their well wishes for me here!  :)

Tumbleweed