Author Topic: Translab Surg: Hospital Expectations  (Read 2690 times)

martyc

Translab Surg: Hospital Expectations
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:52:32 am »
Hi,
I'm having translab surgery in two weeks in San Diego.  Could anyone give me an idea of what to expect my stay in the hospital to be like?  Was post op as bad with this approach?  Thanks much, Marty
Marty

Kaybo

Re: Translab Surg: Hospital Expectations
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:33:24 am »
Marty~
As you have probably read many times now, EVERY acoustic neuroma is very different as are the post op and recovery times varied.  IMO, the way to make ANY procedure/recovery better is a positive attitude and plenty of humor!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:50:31 am »
Hi Marty-

Yep, everyone's different.  I just had translab last week - if you find my husbands post from last Weds, you can see pretty much what my recovery was like.  Or, you can visit my blog (see signature line below.)

The first day, for me, was pretty miserable, but I was expecting it to be crummy, so it wasn't a surprise.  Every day after that I saw small improvements, anc continue to.

Make sure you're on the calendar so we can all keep up with you - and if you can get someone to post as to your progress, we'd all love it!

Stay strong and try to relax and nourish your body.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07:59 am »
Marty -

there is currently another subject listed under "AN Issues" that might help you; it's titled "How long was your hospital stay?"  It will give you some idea of what others have been through.  But, keep in mind that K is correct, everyone's AN journey is different and different patients recover differently.

I had retrosigmoid surgery approximately 1 year ago and I'm assuming the recovery is basically the same as it is with translab.  If you search under my name you can find lots of my posts that detail my surgical experience.  I'd also be more than happy to answer any specific questions you have either through this post or through a PM.

Good luck next week; and as Debbie suggested, please put your surgery on the AN Calendar.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:01:04 am »
Everyone does have a different experience so it is hard to say how you will be.        I unfortunately am a NF2 and have had 4 surgeries.  ( 2 mid fossa,1 translab and 1 CSF leak)             I have not had a great deal of pain ever.    Occ some where a pain pill was taken.             I was never dizzy,some people are at first.         You may have some nausea  for a day,   It is likely you may have poor appetite for a day to a week.     Foods may not taste right.   You may have balance issues with trouble walking,   You may not.       It can depend on how long you have had the tumor and the other side may have compensated some already.
The dresssing on the head will be tight .                   You may be very sleepy.      How long you are on steroid medication depends and that may keep you awake more.          Each dr and hospital has their own protocol in how they do things.                         How much the tumor has caused damage to the facial nerve depends and you may have facial palsy  or you may not.        You will lose hearing with having a translab on that side.                You will still be able to hear but have to adjust in some ways in how it is handled.                 You will feel tired and not right for a good 2 weeks,possibly even a little more.              I am 3 weeks now and doing much better.
    The waiting for surgery is very hard so  hang in there.            Good luck!
                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

oHIo

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 06:51:31 pm »
Having recently had a translab, which will leave you deaf on the affected side, one of my biggest challenges was reminding everyone that I could not hear anything out of my right ear.  It seems the endless stream of residents in my room always migrated to my right side, then tried to carry on a conversation with me.  My family would always kindly remind them "she can't hear you on that side" then they would sheepishly move to the other side of my bed.  Too bad the big dressing on the right side of my head and the patch over my eye didn't give it away. ;D

Immediately post operatively, my nausea and pain were addressed and treated and did not become big issues.  I was walking in the halls, in spite of having some vertigo, the day after surgery.  I limited visitors except for my family.  Hearing in my good ear was hypersensitive (I had good hearing in my AN ear prior to surgery) so the noise in my room was kept to a minimum (television volume). 

All of our experiences are as different as our tumors. 

bpham

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 03:54:13 pm »
Had translab 7 months ago...during the first 2 weeks, you'd have some issues, however, after 2 months, it will be OK...you'd get used to things and will get back to normal life in 3-6 months depending on how serious was the surgery (location, size, etc...).

I'm almost forgotten that I had translab before...
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 01:53:05 pm »
bpham -

glad to hear you are doing well.  Haven't seen you post in a while.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways