Author Topic: Trilogy Radiosurgery  (Read 2757 times)

Betsy

Trilogy Radiosurgery
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:10:57 pm »
Greetings from a new postie!

I just had radiosurgery yesterday using the Trilogy system and I wanted to share some of the experience.  First of all, I absolutely loved the "happy pill"!  Wow, that ativan is one terrific drug.  Very highly recommended, whatever "flavor" of radiation you choose!

My sister was the official recordkeeper of the event and we haven't compared notes yet, so this is what I remember.  First came  the ativan and an IV of decadron and an anti-nausea medication.  Then came the headframe, which wasn't bad the first time they put it on.  Unfortunately it was too high, and it had to be removed and put on a second time.  Even with the ativan and double shots of lidocaine, that was bad.  My poor holey head!  But after it's on, you really do adjust to it.  Within 10 minutes I was aware of it, but it wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Then back to a room with a bed, recliner, tv and room for family to hang out.  I was allowed to eat breakfast...but that proved challenging.  Have you ever tried to feet a goat through a chain link fence?  Maybe it was the ativan at work, but it was hilarious just trying to get a bite of food through the headframe.  As you can imagine, when you're in that frame of mind, time goes by very quickly.

Around 1:30 the planning was complete they bolted the headframe to the Trilogy bench.  At first, it was fine.  However, after three sets of x-rays and corresponding adjustments, the ativan had worn off and my neck and lower back were in spasms.  But it was manageable.  Eventually, everything lined up and I had a series of 5 beams.  The actual treatment took about 10 minutes.

The headframe came off easily, and I was able to leave (after taking a couple tylenol and sitting impatiently through 30 minutes of observation).  Except for the headframe issue, it was not a bad experience.

Today I've had small fever off and on, but no headaches, nausea, fatigue or facial issues.  I even went into work for 3 hours.  The pinholes are annoying but they're healing very fast.  The radiation doc checked in with me mid-day and we're both pleased with the way things are going.

I want to thank everyone for the encouragement and good wishes and most especially for the support during the months of indecision and confusion before I decided on a treatment.  Y'all are the best!

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

BeJoi

Re: Trilogy Radiosurgery
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 06:39:48 pm »
Hi Betsy,

I'm so happy for you  ;D.  It sounds like, with all the inconvenience of the frame, you handled it great and now you're ready to get back to life.  Congratulations on getting through it all in such good fashion.

Beverly

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 02:12:50 pm »
Hi, Betsy:

Congratulations on your 'postie' status!

Your account was very informative and a real testimony for radiation treatment.  I trust your recovery will proceed apace.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 11:44:54 am »
Hi Betsy,

A little late, but I was on vacation. Congratulations on becoming a postie!

Thanks for the blow by blow description. I'm sure it was a nuisance to have the frame fitted twice, and three sets of adjustments, but if thats what it takes for them to get it right, thank goodness they are paying attention to the details. It is amazing to me that it all leads up to 10 whole minutes of actual treatment.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a return to normal life.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.