Author Topic: Translab Surgery over!!!  (Read 3677 times)

MMFlorida

Translab Surgery over!!!
« on: October 11, 2013, 08:31:10 am »
On Monday, October 7th my husband Marshall was scheduled for surgery.  On Sunday we were extremely nervous and tried to occupy ourselves with movies and light TV shows.  On Monday at 5:30 AM we checked in to Jackson Medical Center in Miami.  From then on it was a whirlwind of meeting all the doctors, nurses and other teams who would be in the OR.  All asking him which side the operation would take place!  I guess after some horror stories of the wrong limbs being cut off at various hospitals across the country, they wanted to make extra sure that everyone knew it was the right side.  They even marked it with a marker.  I felt a bit more secure at that point.  At 8:00 AM they whisked him away to the OR and put me in a private area waiting room for Families of International Patients.  I don't know why they gave me the "royal" treatment as there was only about 4 private rooms while most families had to wait in the much larger waiting room without even a TV.  I was equipped with TV and food!!!   Thanks so much to whoever arranged this for me!

While I was in nice surroundings, it didn't help to alleviate the natural fear I had thinking about Marshall having brain surgery.  The Hospitality Team notified me every two hours as to his progress.  Finally at 3:15 PM they said that it should only be another two hours.  That would mean 6 hours of actual surgery (and there was one hour of prep time in the OR getting him positioned, shaved, etc.).  There were no complications and he was stable throughout.  However at 5:15 PM, they came in and said that the surgery was not finished and now they couldn't give me any idea of how much longer it would be.  But, of course, as they said, "everything was fine".  At last notice at 3:15 they expected the surgery to be over at 5:15 and now they had "no idea how much longer it would be"!  That didn't sound "fine to me".  By that time, my cousin had joined me in the waiting room and she managed to keep me calm.

Finally after 8 hours of surgery, I found out it was over and they had gotten the entire tumor and managed to keep his facial nerve intact!!!  What terrific news!!!!  I finally got to see him in recovery at 8:00 PM.  He was a bit out of it, but managed to talk and tell me his throat was dry and he was wondering how long the surgery took.  His voice was extremely hoarse but that it to be expected as he had a breathing tube during the operation and they also give them a chemical to keep the mouth dry during surgery which lasts about 24 hours.   He looked well all things considered.

At about 1:30 AM they finally had a room for him in ICU.  After 12 hours there, the physical therapy team came to evaluate him as they wanted to see if he was able to get up off the bed and walk.  He was able to get up and walk the entire hall of the hospital without any problem.  They immediately cleared him for no further PT and he was transferred to a regular room by 12:00 Noon on Tuesday.  I went to visit him and didn't know what to expect.  But there he was sitting in a chair, having a cup of coffee and watching CNBC and commenting on the stock market.  We had been warned that short term memory loss could occur from this operation and here he was telling me about all the stocks and what they are now and what they were last week and why!   I couldn't believe it.  Then they brought in his lunch which was soup and a bar b Que beef sandwich and he at most of it.  He said it really didn't taste exactly right, but he was hungry.  So much for all the Jello I had stored at home because I thought he wouldn't be able to eat anything for a while!!  His taste buds are not all back yet, but some things taste fairly normal.  He also has sores in his mouth which they say are due to the breathing tube they had in during the surgery.  But that is getting better too. His jaw hurts a bit too so no huge subs for him anytime soon, but all in all he was doing great!!!

On Wednesday AM at 2:00 AM they took him for an MRI.  The hospital is not a good place to get rest!  They explained that  during the day they try to keep the MRI open for emergencies so the pre-op patients get selected at some weird times.  Having said that, his MRI was PERFECT, so we were so happy that everything was going so well.

The doctors visited every day and asked him to move his face and eyes in various ways to make sure he could and he passed with flying colors. 

On Thursday AM the doctors released him and said he was doing terrific.  His doctors Telischi and Marcos from the University of Miami are fantastic.  They are the main reason he is doing so well in addition to the fact that I think his vestibular nerve in his right ear had stopped providing balance for him for years and the nerve in his left ear had taken over.  Otherwise, he would have been just as "wonky" as others have described. 

We couldn't have had a better outcome.  Marshall is experiencing the usual stomach issues, some pain in his ear, and problems with his TMJ in his mouth but it is my guess that with being in one position for 8 hours and having a breathing tube down his throat, I would be surprised if he didn't have some pain.

I know everyone's AN journey is different, but I know all the prayers and good wishes from friends and family helped to provide a successful outcome.  Now we have 6 weeks of recovery ahead.  I only hope he doesn't get bored!!!

Margie

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
Re: Translab Surgery over!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:53:14 am »
Congratulations on the good outcome!  May his entire recovery process be as smooth!
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

MMFlorida

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 11:58:26 am »
Thanks Teri

Interestingly enough, my husband also was diagnosed with a meningioma in the frontal lobe.  It is not real big (about a centimeter) but we are on a wait and watch for that.  I wonder if people who are likely to get an acoustic neuroma are also more likely to get a meningioma?

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 05:11:44 pm »
It has been suggested that the radiation treatment (cyberknife surgery) caused the meningioma that showed up on my follow up MRI - but it seems to me that 3 months is not really "enough" time for a new neoplasm to develop to that size.  Of course, I am no expert and maybe I am wrong but that's my story and I'm stitching to it!    ;D
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

Pam Fraley

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 07:42:07 pm »
I'm not sure how common it is, but I also have both.  The acoustic neuroma is on my left side and I have a meningioma in my right cavernous sinus.  I am on wait and watch with my 6 month testing next week.
6mmx4mm a/n (left IAC)
8-9mm meningioma (right cavernous sinus)
Diagnosed 2/5/2013 MRI
Wait & Watch -  Dr. Arts, University of Michigan
MRI scheduled for 10/22/2013
No change, continue w&w, repeat MRI in 6months

MMFlorida

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 09:17:41 am »
My husband had a relapse on Saturday almost to post surgery levels.  Apparently since he was doing so well, they didn't think they needed him to continue taking steroids.  The doctor prescribed steroids and within 12 hours he was doing much better.  I guess I shouldn't have expected everything to go in a straight line.  My husband's meningioma was discovered at the same time as the AN.  The doctor also said that he had a cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (clot) and if the lack of steroids wasn't causing his relapse, perhaps that was.  Naturally, I looked that up on the internet and it doesn't sound good.  The doctor said he didn't get word of it before my husband left the hospital.  But he said it wouldn't have changed his mind about discharging him from the hospital.  He gave him aspirin for the clot.  I asked him if the aspirin would break up the clot and get rid of it and he said it may, but even if it doesn't, we have many sinus's and don't need all of them so even if it stays clotted it is no big problem if it doesn't move.  WHAT IF IT DOES!!!??  We had this surgery like so many of you did as you did not want to think of a problem that could damage your brain.  Now we still have this to think about.  I think I am more worried about the clot than a slow growing AN.  What do you think?  I am going to ask the doctor for more explanation.

wintersmd

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 03:48:59 pm »
MMFlorida

I am not a doctor, but I do know to trust my gut instinct.  Only you can make the call and do what will make you and your husband comfortable.  I also had a setback at the 9 day post-op mark.  I lost control of the left side of my face.  My wife and I both thought that I had suffered a stroke and she rusted me to the hospital.  It was not a stroke, thank God.  In fact, it was pretty normal to lose partial control of your face. 

Bottom line, do what you feel is best and make you happy.  You will not be able to sleep until you are comfortable with your decision. 

Hope that helps.  Good luck and know that we are all thinking of you and your husband.

Mike