Author Topic: Balance Problems....I regress  (Read 4310 times)

Noodle

Balance Problems....I regress
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:27:24 pm »
I just passed my 6 month anniversary since surgery - woo hoo!  For the most part I have had a picture perfect recovery, doing great, had a bit of trouble getting my balance back after the surgery and had that dragging when I would turn my head (where it would take a while for my brain to catch up with what I saw) but it all went away a few months.  Recently in the past week or so I am having balance issues and cloudiness in my head.

Has anyone ever experienced this type of regression?  I called my doctor and he is sending me for a follow up mri to check things out but this just seems so strange and irritating. :-\
2 cm right side an diagnosed 6/11/09
Translab 8/28/09 - House Dr. Robinson/Dr. Schwartz
Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Balance Problems....I regress
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 10:03:28 am »
I don't know where you live but in our part of the country (WV) we have had way more snow than usual this winter.  Thus, it has affected the number of times I have been able to exercise outdoors (e.g. walking in fresh air).  I have experienced a bit of balance regression, as well but I am hoping it is just because I have slacked off on the usual amount of walking I had been doing.

I don't know about you, but walking outdoors when the ground was covered with snow was a real challenge.  Something about the vast expanse of white snow totally disoriented me.

If you look through the posts on here, you will find that most of us with balance issues find it much worse when we are tired or stressed.  Hopefully your MRI will be no change and you will see some improvement again soon. 

One other thought, if you have not already done so, you might want to consider looking into vestibular exercises, either with a professional vestibular therapist or on your own.  There are a number of good exercises to be found on the internet.

Let us know how you are doing.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:08:32 am »
I agree with Clarice - BOTH times that I went back for an MRI b/c I thought that the tumor might have come back b/c i was having headaches again.  I was just VErY tired (new baby or stressed/tired - all 3 girls starting school for 1st time)...it really does a number on you - sometimes when you don't know it!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:12:48 pm »
I have recently had balance dizziness, you know the turning you head thing as you described.  I wondered if it was from my medications, because it does see like my eyes aren't talking to my brain the way they should be.  It is especially apparent when I shop, and this puts a damper on my love for shopping, good for my pocket, but not so nice.  But with dealing with the headaches this is the least of my worries.  I feel you on this one...hope it gets better and consider if its related to meds as well.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wwoodian

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 02:15:15 pm »
I'm only at 3 1/2 months since surgery, but I recently went to Vestibular Therapy for a month.  It has been two weeks since I went and my balance improvement has returned back to where it started.  I'm trying to work harder at the exercises--it is frustrating to go backward, but I've been told more than once to expect this.  Good luck to you!
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 02:37:17 pm »
Noodle ~

The only thing I can add to the previous responses is to reiterate that post-op, regaining balance function is often a long process and never finite.  I'm coming up on 4 years post-op with a splendid recovery (no real issues) but my balance, while serviceable, is not 100%, although I have no real problems and nothing to complain about. 

You were wise to contact your doctor and he is admirably responsive in ordering a 'fresh' MRI, as a precaution.  I seriously doubt that you would experience a re-growth (our biggest concern) in six months but the MRI can assure you of that and give you peace of mind. 

Recurring balance issues are definitely irritating and you may have to deal with them awhile longer but exercise and possibly vestibular exercise, as Clarice suggested in her post, might be of help to you as you struggle with balance issues, which are common to post-op AN patients.  I hope your equilibrium problems will soon resolve and you can regain the quality of life we all seek.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.