Author Topic: Proton Beam Down!  (Read 2311 times)

inmaine724

Proton Beam Down!
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:12:47 pm »
The Proton Beam has been down at Mass General since last Thursday!  So I haven't had treatment for then.  Very discouraging, since my end date was Dec 30th, but now is January 11th.  I just called to see if it came back up yet, and she said no, and that someone would call about Monday, but that I shouldn't expect it up then either.  The people there are wonderful, and this is way beyond there control, but it's such a bummer.  

Has anyone else had this problem with the beam (or actually the cyclotron) going down?

Thanks...Danielle

19 down, 11 to go...eventually
Happiness grows in direct proportion to your acceptance, and in inverse proportion to your expectations.--Michael J Fox

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Proton Beam Down!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 04:46:17 pm »
Danielle ~

Wow, this has to be frustrating but as you stated, it's out of anyone's control so you just have to go with it.  I underwent 26 FSR treatments and know that I would have been disconcerted had they been abruptly halted before I had finished.  This probably won't have any effect on the ultimate success of the treatment but I sympathize with your frustration.  I hope you can get back on schedule, soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

inmaine724

Re: Proton Beam Down!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »
Wow.  Just got a call saying it has been called for all of next week as well!  I should not expect to be back to Boston until the 3rd of January, and she said they would be calling to let me know if it's even up by then.  She said the engineers have been working on it constantly, and that they just can't get it working. 

blah!  I have to say, however, that I feel for those people who absolutely need this treatment on schedule. They said that some are apparently having photon therapy in place of the proton beam.  Fortunately, it shouldn't affect my outcome at all, so I won't complain.  but blah!  Would love for it to just be done. 
Happiness grows in direct proportion to your acceptance, and in inverse proportion to your expectations.--Michael J Fox