Author Topic: does anyone have problems at work with balance issue?  (Read 3238 times)

TxNurseNoelle

does anyone have problems at work with balance issue?
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:41:03 am »
Hi everyone..Am wondering if anyone has encountered problems with dizziness/balance issues pre-op ( I am watch and wait) at work?
I dont like feeling this way every day, its bad enough I wont go anywhere that I cant hold onto a cart or my husband, I look like im drunk..at work with the increased stress I find it gets worse, my head whirls all day and i feel like the floor is moving. I am in a charge position and have alot of responsibilities, this is becoming more of a problem, anyone else feel like this? would appreciate some feedback...and as always thank you for listening....I have a rt side AN diagnosed 10/08 19mmx12mm IAC protrusion. last MRI Oct.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: does anyone have problems at work with balance issue?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:08:39 am »
Yes, I have balance issues -- it is one of my symptoms of AN. No dizziness but I feel a little light headed when walking briskly and I tend to drift to one side or the other. It is worse in the dark. I have a slight delay in orientation when making a quick turn as well.

I'll let you know how it is after surgery as I go in tomorrow. I imagine it will get worse before it gets better.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

TxNurseNoelle

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:53:09 pm »
Good luck with the surgery keep me posted as to how you are doing

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:59:17 pm »
hi i had a right sided AN, and my symtoms got worse it felt like a form of vertigo like i was sitting and the room was moving like being on the walzers at the fun park, my AN was over 4.5cm.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:52:59 am »
Hi Noelle,
  The balance symptoms you've described sound fairly classic for someone who has one vestibular nerve being compromised.  If your AN is pressing on the vestibular nerve, the brain may be recieving odd vestibular input from the AN side.  This is probably extra confusing if the input is good one day and affected the next.  It usually takes some time for your brain to compensate and relearn balance after AN treatment, if the vestibular nerve is affected.   If your vestibualr nerve is slowly compromised before treament, balance may have already compensated to some extent.  These AN patients may have better balance imediately post treatment than patients who lose a vestibular nerve with AN treament and lose vestibular input from the AN side suddenly.  Even patients who lose the AN nerve suddenly, relearn balance fairly quickly.  The first few days are a little rough, but the brain relearns quickly.
 Many patients find that doing Vestibular Retraining therapy, with a therapist who specializes in this type of therapy, after treatment helps the balance system relearn and compensate more quickly.  Your AN treament team probably works with a therapist and can refer you to the right person.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:48:38 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW