Author Topic: Ellenmn surgery update  (Read 3801 times)

Ellenmn

Ellenmn surgery update
« on: June 28, 2007, 09:58:59 pm »
Ellen had her surgery today.  It was long - 9 hours.  Doctors were able to remove about 98% of the growth.  Remaining 2% was entangled with facial nerve and couldn't remove w/o damaging the facial nerve.  Eyes seem to be fine.  Right side of face has some loss of feeling and movement.  This may be temporary and only time will tell to see if the nerves regenerates and restores the feeling and movement.  Will have to monitor the remaining 2% to see if it grows.  If so radiation may be necessary, but that will be down the road.  Overall surgery went well.  Posted by her husband 

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Ellenmn surgery update
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 07:17:27 am »
Wishing you a smooth recovery!  Glad to hear you're through the surgery!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 02:01:46 pm »
Hurrah, Hurrah!
Let's raise a toastie!
Our Ellenmn
Is now a postie!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 05:37:54 am »
So glad to hear the surgery is over.  Keeping Ellenmn in my prayers and you too hubby.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Ellenmn

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 01:28:26 pm »
Well I'm finally able to focus on the boards for a little while so  l thought I would post a little.
My Right eye lid doesn't close very well on it's own so thier going to put a gold weight in on July 16th.
As my husband had posted I facial weakness on the right side so it's like trying to eat when you just got out of the dentist office.
Otherwise I think I'm doing well. I start Therapy next week to help get my balance back. I take walks but husband says that I walk like I've had to much to drink.
All for now.

Obita

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 10:20:40 am »
Welcome back Ellenmn!!

I hope all the pesky post op stuff resolves soon for you.  I remember the eating being such a challenge.  And when I did get the food in my mouth chewed up, the taste disturbance was unreal.  To this day, three years post op, bananas & mayonaise taste awful.  But, I don't care because chocolate tastes as it should!!

Good luck in your recovery, Kathy

ps:  you will be fishing before you know it
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 10:13:43 pm »
Ellen -

I read in some prior posts that your surgery was done by Dr. Battista and Dr. Kazan @ Hinsdale Hospital.  I also had AN surgery (retrosigmoid), same docs, same place on 5/31/07.  So, although I've never met you, I wanted to say hi and wish you a speedy recovery.

Hope you're feeling better every day,

Jan (from Niles, IL)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lora

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 01:00:04 am »
Ellen--I hope you are stilll doing well--every day just gets better!  Lora
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Ellenmn

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 02:31:59 pm »
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
Monday I had a gold weight put in my eye lid. The swelling is going down so things are starting to work a little better. It's sure is nice not have to wear the bubble to protect the eye.
I still feel that I have to learn a lot of things over again. Besides getting the balance back I have to learn to eat since to the muscles don't work right. (I know they mentioned that I may have nerve problems but you don't think about eating when they talk about it.) The one thing they didn't talk about was learn to write again. I write like I was in grade school, nobody talked about that. I also have to work on my concentration because I have trouble maintaining it for very long.
I'm sure that several of you have the same problems and I just have to learn some patience.

TP

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 07:49:33 pm »
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
Monday I had a gold weight put in my eye lid. The swelling is going down so things are starting to work a little better. It's sure is nice not have to wear the bubble to protect the eye.
I still feel that I have to learn a lot of things over again. Besides getting the balance back I have to learn to eat since to the muscles don't work right. (I know they mentioned that I may have nerve problems but you don't think about eating when they talk about it.) The one thing they didn't talk about was learn to write again. I write like I was in grade school, nobody talked about that. I also have to work on my concentration because I have trouble maintaining it for very long.
I'm sure that several of you have the same problems and I just have to learn some patience.

Ellenmn - Sounds like you are making great progress. It will go by faster than you think. I am about 13 months post op and I forget that I had this done sometimes. Exercise as much as you physically can, get plenty of rest when you are tired and the eating issues will eventually come around. I still have some food that falls out of my mouth but I have learned to eat slower. Your concentration will improve and even though you may have small memory lapses you will be surprised how much you do remember overtime. Writing - well my handwriting was horrible before my surgery and now it is even worse. So I do everything electronically if I can. The few checks I write I usually have to write twice because I can't read the words or #'s on the checks. Birthday and greeting cards - well lets just say I am surprised people know who sent them! Be good to yourself and you are in our prayers!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Ellenmn

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 08:32:16 am »
Well it's been six weeks since surgery and things are doing pretty well. Therapy sessions are going well and I just completed my first week back at work (only 6hrs instead of 12hrs.). I did get tired and sometimes a slight headache by
the time I left but I got some rest and I was much better. Friday was strange; I had a lot of trouble focusing on what I had to do. No Headache but it was like I was on heavy drugs (I'm not).  It's hard to explain the feeling. Later at night I did get a really bad headache focused on the AN side. Much better this morning.
Tomorrow I will go out for the first time in our boat. I still have to get up the courage to drive the car in heavy traffic so my husband doesn't have to drive me to work.
Writing is still a bit of a problem and I have type and reread everything several times. Lots of revesre letters and missing words. I've gotten better at eating so it's not so embarassing to eat in public.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 08:43:05 am »
Hi Ellenmn: Don't know how I missed this post (I think I've been missing quite a few).  WOW - you are really pushing yourself!!!!  What you're writing reminds me of my first few months post op, except I didn't return to work for 2 months.   I think your body is trying to remind you to rest!!
I wish you continued healing my friend.   Good luck with the boat trip - I can understand wanting to get out on the water & relax - just make sure the waters are calm !!!
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps:  I can't imagine working 12 hour shifts right off the bat - I did 8 hours 3x/week the 1st 2 weeks back, & wished I had waited longer.  Hats off to you !!
oh yeah - remember, besides rest,  keep yourself hydrated (to prevent headaches) & keep your eye well lubricated as well.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 08:47:02 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis