Author Topic: Private or Semi-Private?  (Read 3521 times)

coffeylady

Private or Semi-Private?
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:19:17 pm »
I am interested in knowing if after translab surgery and night in ICU are you put into a private or semi-private room? 

TP

Re: Private or Semi-Private?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:46:25 pm »
I was in ICU for 3 days and HATED IT. The first night their was a sick women in the room near me that coughed all night. A nurse sat at the foot of my bed the entire evening to make sure I didn't stroke. The next day they finally got me a private ICU room and that was wonderful. However, I liked the normal private room better, it was more quiet and less traffic. In any event, ask for private, assuming your insurance will cover. 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:40:45 pm »
I think it depends on the hospital.

The hospital I was at didn't have a separate ICU.  I was put into a room where I was considered to be "ICU" for 24 hours post op.  At that point, my room status was "downgraded".  I had my own room - didn't have to share.

The only moves I made were from the OR to the recovery room to my hospital room. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marymomof3

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 07:09:36 pm »
Hi - I agree that I believe it depends on the hospital.  I went to NYU for my surgery.  ICU room was private.  The room I was moved to after ICU had 1 other patient with me.

Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

oHIo

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:15:24 pm »
After ICU, I requested a private room.  My sister was staying with me and I am not a good room mate.  ;)  The nurses said they usually try to put the AN post op patients in private rooms, but I know Ohio Also and I were at the hospital at the same time and she did not get a private room due to them being occupied.

Working in a hospital, I know some of it just has to do with luck and the bed situation, if you request a private room.  Sometimes they are all full and you have no choice but to go to a semi private.  Some hospitals have all private rooms on the floors they move neuro patients.  It's best to check with your doctor's office to see if there is a particular floor they admit to after your ICU stay and if your doctor usually has his patients go to a private room.  (Insurance may cover it if they feel it is medically necessary.)  

It's also a good idea to check with the hospital to see what the difference in cost would be between a private and semi private, in case you get stuck with the difference.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:04:50 am »
Coffeylady:

I agree with Jan ('leapyrtwins') - each hospital has it's own policy regarding ICU patients.  The hospital where I had my surgery performed had a separate ICU floor - all the rooms were 'private' (one bed). The ICU is usually a pretty busy place so 'private' is a matter of semantics.  You'll have many nurses coming in and out to poke and prod you while in the ICU.  After four days, I was moved to a semi-private room.  Since I was practically jogging around the hospital (O.K., a slight exaggeration) and eager to go home at that point, I was released the next day. 

I would suggest that you ask your doctor what the ICU setup is at the hospital where you'll be treated.  If he isn't sure, you could call the hospital administration office to inquire about the ICU arraignment (private or semi-private room).  That way, you'll know what to expect. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:34:33 am »
Coffelady~
I echo the others that each hospital is different.  I had privates all the way for my initial surgery.  My in-laws had said that they would make up the difference if insurance didn't pay so that I could have this.  I think insurance paid but who knows??  I will say that if anyone offers something like that, TAKE THEM UP ON IT!  They wouldn't offer if they didn't want to truly help.  When I went back for my 12/7, I asked for a private room, but they were all occupied so they put me in a room with a girl who had SEVERE diabetic problems and had gone blind.  She was SOOOO sweet, but unfortunately, the nurses would not respond to her (until it was WAY too late & then were angry at her for what happened -- and I had to listen to it all) b/c she had been in there several times and did not care for herself and that was why her case was so bad.  Anyway, go private if you can!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!