Author Topic: Prediction of AN Growth: a novel rule based on clinical symptomatology  (Read 2234 times)

LisaM

Saw this on ANworld.  It's some sort of a test/study that predicts whether or not your AN will grow.  It was published by doctors in Holland.  Note the +1 and -1 in scoring.

1. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2011 Dec;120(12):807-13.

Prediction of vestibular schwannoma growth: a novel rule based on clinical symptomatology.

Timmer FC, Artz JC, Beynon AJ, Donders RT, Mulder JJ, Cremers CW, Graamans K.
Source
Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition, and Behavior, Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, the Netherlands.
Abstract

OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to formulate a predictive rule for vestibular schwannoma growth during the initial observation period after diagnosis.

METHODS: Logistic regression models were fitted, with tumor growth in the first year as the dependent variable and patient characteristics as the independent variables. Backward selection was used to eliminate superfluous predictors. The area under the receiver operating characteristic curve was taken as a measure of the model's discriminative power.

RESULTS: Eventually, the model or rule consisted of 4 significant growth predictors:

localization (if extrameatal, +1; if intrameatal, 0),
    sudden sensorineural hearing loss (if present, -1; if absent, 0),
    balance symptoms (if present, +1; if absent, 0), and
    complaints of hearing loss for less than 2 years (if present, +1; if absent, or present for more than 2 years, 0).

A higher score indicates a higher likelihood of tumor growth during the period of observation after diagnosis. If the total score is 0 or less, the likelihood of tumor growth during the first year after diagnosis is less than 10%. If the score is 3, the likelihood of growth during the first year after diagnosis is more than 70%.

CONCLUSIONS:
We were able to create a useful rule to predict vestibular schwannoma growth during the first year after diagnosis.

PMID: 22279952 [PubMed - in process]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:28:04 am by LisaM »
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

mattsmum

Re: Prediction of AN Growth: a novel rule based on clinical symptomatology
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 02:36:45 pm »
hi there - that looks interesting. have you seen the full paper, or just the abstract? i find the +1/-1 regarding hearing loss a little confusing.
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

Mark H

Re: Prediction of AN Growth: a novel rule based on clinical symptomatology
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:40:38 pm »
In my case my AN's are both still tiny at 2-3mm each. Over the years MRI's went from nothing found to maybe something there but way too small to be sure, to there they are. I'll probably skip an MRI this year (I've been going every other year lately) unless I feel some big changes. I do have some balance issues and dizzy feelings. I walk kinda funny but part of that might be from too many motorcycle crashes and climbing oopses when I was younger. At 58 I don't much figure a lot will be changing. I didn't even get my official NF2 diagnosis 'till just a few years ago, and with so many of my friends having died or having serious troubles I feel kinda guilty even saying I have it.
Mark