Author Topic: MRI coming up Tuesday... Trying to gage your pre diagnosis symptoms  (Read 8516 times)

cindyj

Re: MRI coming up Tuesday... Trying to gage your pre diagnosis symptoms
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 10:51:44 am »
Hello, Islander (love the name!) and welcome!  I was one of those "self-diagnosers" that Phyl mentioned above ;), turns out, I was right, but as she says, many turn out to not be AN's.  To your question about tinnitus, I never could tell pre-surgery which ear it was in...it was just in my head.  It took me 2 years to finally consult an ENT about it - I thought there was nothing that could be done about it.  I was right about that part, but wrong to have waited so long to check it out...(Now, I can clearly "hear" that the tinnitus is on my AN side, or former An side, I guess :) )

Please let us know how things go with your MRI - if it's not an AN - great!  If it is, we're here for you and your questions and concerns!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Islander

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 03:58:59 pm »
Sue, thanks for the great suggestions!

Kathy, You are right, I have come to a point in researching the matter where I know there is good help out there if the worst comes to pass- so I am done with the researching for now. I am now just waiting on Thursday - the follow up with my ENT after my MRI on Tue.

Cindy, yeah I've heard of too many people that wait too long to get things diagnosed when an earlier diagnosis may have improved their situation, so whenever possible I try to stay on top of it :) are you SSD at this point then?

Thank you guys for being so kind and supportive. It has definitely helped me get through this weekend! Will keep you posted on what I find out!

cindyj

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 06:14:37 pm »
Yes, I am now SSD - had nearly perfect hearing prior to surgery, but my doctor and I chose the Translab approach, which sacrifices the hearing nerve.  No real problems adjusting...a bit weird at first, but it has given my husband many opportunities to tease me unmercifully ;) 

Will be watching for your updates after your MRI,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 09:30:04 pm »
Tuning in late here, but my pre diagnosis symptoms were a feeling of fullness and diminished hearing in my AN ear.

I never had tinnitus - still don't - and I had balance isssues I wasn't aware of until my MRI showed the AN and I went to my neurotologist who had me do some tests.

Good luck with the MRI on Tuesday.

Please keep us posted on the results.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

bsharpintexas

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 09:17:43 am »
Islander,

Hang in there! It sounds like you have done a lot of research already. I agree with some of the others that you might want to take a break from the research till you get the results from the MRI. If it is an AN you will have lots of support! Everyone we have talked to on the forum moves on with happy and healthy lives.

My wife just had her surgery last Monday (6/15) for a tumor that was at least 3.6mm. It was a little harder to get to than they expected but everything turned out ok. She has some minor facial weakness but we expect that to come back. We went with Translab so she did lose hearing in one side. She seems ok with that and I think seems to be adjusting well.

You have a great support group here. They have a lot of information and really helped us a lot.

We are thinking of you and hope things go well with the MRI.

Bryan

wendysig

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 05:21:53 am »
Hi Islander and welcome,

I really don't have much to offer at this point other than to welcome you to our group.  I hope your MRI is clear and it turns out that you don't need to be here,but if you do you will find this a wonderful place to find information and support.  Good luck today in  your visit to the Tube of Gloom.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Islander

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 10:49:49 am »
Be off to the gloom tube in about twenty mins. My follow up isn't till Thursday so I won't really find out much today. I appreciate everyones well wishes and sentiment!

Bryan, I wish your wife a speedy recovery! Hope everyone is having a great day!

Islander

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 02:48:03 pm »
Wow.. that MRI was *loud*.... got it with and without contrast. I also got a CD with the images and they will send me a report after my follow-up with the Dr. this Thursday. *fingers crossed*

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 02:56:52 pm »
Islander .....

Now you know why we call it the TOD (tunnel of doom) .....  ::)  Glad it is over and my fingers are crossed for a clear report for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 10:53:05 pm »
Islander~
Chiming in late. Hope the MRI is clear, and if not, we are here for you.
You are on top of the game by listening to your symptoms and pursuing treatment.
I on the other hand ignored my symptoms for many many years (won't even go there).
 >:( Live and learn.
There are a couple of people who come to mind who were so convinced they had an AN and were even thinking how they would seek treatment.
Then the MRI came back NEG! And they were like, "But why do I feel so bad???"
We're here for ya,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Islander

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 08:56:50 pm »
So I got my MRI results back and I feel very lucky that it is totally clean. The MRI results did show that I may be having some sinus issues possibly due to allergies so I got a steroidal nasal spray to try.

Needless to say I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders as I was forcing myself to prepare for the worst. I have to say all of you'll really helped me through the last couple of days and I am *very* grateful for each of you taking the time to answer my questions!! I wish everyone here the best and it's nice to know there are support groups as great as you guys out there for those in need!

moe

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 09:58:14 pm »
Great news!
All that worry for nothing, but it is still important to keep tabs on those body symptoms.
We only have one body!
Best wishes,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jeepers

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 05:54:13 am »
WHEW! What a relief, Islander!!
That's such great news!  Now [zoom] on to the fun parts of the internet ...  ;)    ;D
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 06:03:17 am »
Great news, Islander  ;D

Congratulations!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 06:35:33 am »
So glad to hear, Islander!  We enjoyed meeting you...feel free to stay in touch with us! 

Cindy
feeling great!