Author Topic: Anyone out there from Michigan??  (Read 12875 times)

LADavid

Re: Anyone out there from Michigan??
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2008, 08:41:14 pm »
Bad news, Jan and the rest of America -- gas is already $4.20 here in California and I'm betting that it will never go below $4 again.  Of course, I still can't drive and I've become a pro at public transportation and it's working just fine.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2008, 09:12:43 pm »
I was talking to my dad today and he told me that somewhere in the world - he thought it was Iceland - they have cars that actually run on water instead of gasoline.  I told him that that would be fantastic - until we had a water shortage  :D

Somebody, somewhere has to do something about these prices!!!  I don't know how those on a fixed income can afford to drive anymore.  Maybe public transportation is the best answer, David - although I'd imagine the rates for that will be increasing along with everything else lately.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 07:08:20 am »
Lacey,

When I scheduled my suregery with MEI they gave me a map to Providence (as I live about 1hour 30 minutes away) and on the back was a listing of hotels in the area and some of them offered patient discounts as well.  We are staying in a hotel near the hosptial the night before, and my husband will reside there for the following few days.  It's cheaper for us to stay in a hotel with the gas prices as we drive a gas guzzling Ford Expedition (the mini-bus as I call it).  tHat ought to be interesting for me to be driving when I am a postie ont he road again.....Look out!! :)  We are staying at the Westin, recommended by the surgery scheduler, for a very good rate.  PM and I can provide you more info if you'd like.  Or call MEI and I'm sure they can send you the info they gave me.

Melissa.......72 hours and counting...AGGHHHHHHHH
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 07:09:53 am »
Melissa -

time's just flying.  You'll be a postie soon.  Breathe, breathe, breathe  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 07:18:35 am »
I have one other question for anyone who had their surgery done at Providence Hospital in Michigan.
Do they have hotels close by, for relatives to stay for a few days, so they can be close.  We live about an hour and 15 min. from MIch. Ear.  I know that Providence is reasonably close to that....but not sure how close.
With the price of gas, it seems it would be cheaper to stay close by, at least for a few days, at a motel or hotel.
Anyone know???  Did anyone else do that?
Thanks so much, and please know how much I appreciate each and every one of you!!!!
Lacey

I've had two surgeries at Providence, but my family and friends commuted from home, which is only 30-45 mins away. There is a lot of stuff around the hospital so I'm sure there are some hotels.  Check here ...

http://www.metrotravelguide.com/hotels_nearby/southfield/mi/usa/0/Providence_Hospital_&_Medical_Center/#trafficLogID=513650638&visited=true

Michigan Ear is probably about 10-15 mins away from Providence, but you won't have anything actually done at Michigan Ear other than some pre-op testing. My office is actually about a mile from Michigan Ear, so I'm familiar with the area. There are a few hotels on Northwestern Highway and 696 that are pretty nice. Right down the street from Michigan Ear and probably 10 mins from the Hospital.

If you need any help, please let me know.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 05:13:26 pm »
Thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone!  I scheduled my surgery on the phone, so I haven't received any information or maps from Michigan Ear yet.
All of you are sooooo helpful.  It must be that all people with AN have a "nice gene" in them!  ha. :D
Melissa.....I will be praying for you on the 15th.  I know you will be fine, and will have it over with! 
Scott, thanks for the web site to check.  I really appreciate it.
I have a son named Scott.....so you must be a good guy!!
Thanks to all who replied.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

kimberly

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008, 12:08:25 pm »
Hi Lacy ,

I also had my surgery done by Dr Laroure and staff - I have nothing but good things to say about them!  If you'd like to talk further or have any questions that I might be able to answer, feel free to PM me and we can communicate that way or by phone.  I wish you nothing but the best.

Scott - I told Dr. Laroure that he was famous on the net and that you were really impressed with him.  I was surprised when all I said was "scottie" and he knew EXACTLY who I was talking about! 

Kimberly

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 01:02:52 pm »
 :)

That's funny. Lord knows I've spent enough time with him over the past 4 years. He should know who I am! After all, he has been inside of my head, TWICE!

Like I said though, they really treat you like family there, as proven by him knowing who some random "scottie" guy is. (And he, like most people, only know me as Scott)