Author Topic: Survey for Post-treatment patients  (Read 14145 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Survey for Post-treatment patients
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 01:06:14 pm »
*bump*

Hi all, have any of you been officially diagnosed with "ice pick migraines"? That is the actual name of the type of migraine (Google and such will bring up the info) and wasn't sure if any of you have been diagnosed with them and if so, how have you been treated. 

This type of migraines may be... again, key word is may, what we describe here in this thread. I'm trying to learn more about them.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 05:46:30 pm »
1.  Do you experience "sharp" head pains (ie: like a steak knife being jabbed into your head)?

Yes,  but not that often

2.  If yes, what kind of AN treatment have you had and when did you have your treatment?

suboccupital, January 2004

3.  How long, post-treatment, did you experience these kinds of sharp head pains?

still get them but few and far between

4.  If you worked with your dr regarding these kinds of head pains, what was their recommendation in treating these pains?

these pains don't last long enough that I've even mentioned them to a dr.  I to take topamax for other more constant headache issues
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

linnilue

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 10:59:13 pm »
Hi Phhyll,   1. No  2. radio  3. n/a  4. n/a    However, I want to add that I get visual (I forgot what they call them) migraines, you know the kind where you start losing your vision and you see this wierd "c" shape with triangles of black, orange and mirror like images and there is a center in all of this...but luckily I don't get the headache that can follow this.  This was the "headache" that sent me to the ER and got my AN diagnosed.  It's very wierd and very scarey.  I had another one in July and called my neurologist at home because I was terrified that something was wrong.  But he stayed on the phone with me and talked me through it until it went away which was a few short minutes, his voice was very reassuring.   Do any of you have this?  I hope I'm not confusing this thread for you Phyll.  Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Cheryl R

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2007, 08:37:28 am »
I  have these type of migraines but do not think it is AN  related as they started 33 yrs ago during my first pregnancy.     Even though I am a nurse I did not realize what was going on and it scared me also.     I occ will get a little bit of a headache after them but not always.        One just has to sit  or lie down and wait it out for a half hr or so.                I do not get them too often and think bright lights can be one of the triggers.
                                                             Cheryl  R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

vcschaub

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 11:24:14 am »
Yes, surgery, middle fossa, 11/05. They were fairly frequent (several times a day) for first six months. They have tapered off and now I get one maybe, once or twice a week. They make me wince!! I never reported to my doctors.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 01:17:54 pm »
Oy vey, where do I start?
Yes, sharp stabbing ice pick pains in 3 places, occipital left-side, incision area just above ear, and above left eyeball. Mostly I would wake up with them. Started 3-4 months after middle fossa surgery for left AN, although I began having some migraines at 10 days post-op. Continued unabated for 2 1/2 years. Many different unsuccessful meds including narcotics, which like Arushi, gave me rebound headaches. I finally found a great doc at 3 years who did nerve blocks and corisonse injections, prescribed large doses of Neurontin and taught me to manually inject Imitrex. Now I'm on Topamax after talking to Dr Silberstein at the ANA Symposium in Philly in July.  Much better now, ice-picks are not as frequent and are more aches than stabbing pains like before.
More like this!

Best of luck dear phyll and hope this is just a temporary thing for you.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

kat

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 05:08:09 am »
HI everyone

1  I do experience some sharp ice pick pains very occasionally . They are very brief but intense .
2  I have not had any treatment for them due to the very occasional nature.
3  I must add that I had them propably for 3-4 years before my AN diagnosis and after my treatment there has not been any    increase .
4 I have mentioned them to my GP but he just thinks that they are just one of those things and apparently he gets them sometimes as well  . A good friend of mine does get them too and being a hypochondriac he has had several scans showing nothing that could be the cause of them . 

Regards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

danijake

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 12:11:19 am »
Yes, all the time. But more frequently the heartbeat in the head and neck tightening. Always in pain!!!
Translab  8/13/07
Started 8/30/07 and hasn't stopped
Fired original neuro for telling me to see a shrink!!! New neuro prescribed neurontin and imitrex sub-cu inj. along with ibuprofen. Makes the headaches tolerable.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:19:40 am by danijake »

badkins

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2007, 07:53:52 pm »
My headaches are like Captain Debs. I woke up from surgery with a sharp ice pick stabbing pain that never went away for a year. I finally found a pain management doctor who controlled my pain. My body was so weak I was finally told that my 5th nerve trigeminal had been severed.  >:(
1 Yes experience sharp ice pick pain. INTENSE sharp pain behind eye, going into my right side of my temple and upper head.
2. Translab 1-10-06 Gammaknike 9-29-06
3 Woke up after 14 hour surgery with sharp painful headache thats all I could think about
4 Have been on Many different TOPAMAX 400MG, DILUDID 2X 4M. OXY 20MG 3-4X . along with my Effexorr 300 for never returning to  work again due to the extreme headaches.
18x18x19mm an rs 1-10-06
Translab approach
Gamma knife 9-29-06 UVA
25% regrowth 1st follow-up
Life has been good to me :-)

mema

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2007, 07:11:55 am »
1. yes,only once but I get brain spasms not quite as intense.                                                                                                           

2.  FSR 26 treatments nov-dec 2005                                                                                                                                               

3.  happened 20 months after                                                                                                                                                       

4.  never mentioned the sharp pain to a doc                                                                                                                                               

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.