Author Topic: This is what happened  (Read 5873 times)

carlita

• Used to be my smile...
This is what happened
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:58:58 pm »
Hi my name is carla and my friends call me carlita. I had an acoustic neuroma of 5cm, until the day of my surgery on march 26th of this year. After 15 hpurs of surgery, accidentally my neruosurgeon cut the facial nerve and left me with half of my face with no sensation or movement. Days after i had meningitis and almost a week after an arterie explote because of a blood clot. so had 3 surgeries in my head one on my eye lit because i couldnt fully close it and the most recently was the conection of my facial nerve with the hyploglossal. I stayed in the hospital for almost a month and a half, and in the ICU for two weeks succesfully now alive. So right now, i am just waiting for my smile to come back, and tears and taste, and able to chew with my other side of the mouth!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:10:49 pm by carlita »
Carlita :)

Kate B

• AN World
Re: This is what happened
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:00:48 pm »
Carlita,

You have come to the right place for support.  You had quite an experience and I can't even begin to fathom being in ICU for that long of a period of time.

May I ask where you had your surgery?

Kindest Regards,
Kate
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:09:53 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

carlita

• Used to be my smile...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:07:19 pm »
It was on parkland. My insurance canceled me 2 weeks after they found the tumor. Went to the emergency room in parkland, because i faint a night before and my mom got scared.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:11:45 pm »
It was on parkland. My insurance canceled me 2 weeks after they found the tumor. Went to the emergency room in parkland, because i faint a night before and my mom got scared.

Carlita,

What a rough time. You were first blindsighted by the diagnosis, then jilted by the insurance company, and then had an outcome that kept you in ICU for over a month and a half. 

Many of this site will provide valuable information about losing the facial nerve.

I am glad you found us!

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

carlita

• Used to be my smile...
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:13:15 pm »
My docs sid the the movement will come back but they dunno for sure how much

lori67

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:26:07 pm »
Carlita - welcome and WOW!  You've really had a lot thrown at you at once!  You must be very strong to have made it through all of that.  I hope the worst of it is behind you and you continue to get better.

When did you have the facial nerve surgery?  I'm scheduled to have that done myself in October and would love to hear how things are coming along for you.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

carlita

• Used to be my smile...
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 06:28:36 pm »
Well it was on june the 6th, i guess i can vocalize better now and my bottom lip is also movin a lil bit more, i have experienced tearing on my lef side but rarely.

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:21:09 am »
Hi Carlita,

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you are starting to feel better these days. You will find lots of friendly people here to offer support and share stories with, as well as provide more information on facial nerve issues and recovery. People go on to have families, climb mountains, and do almost everything else, whether they can smile properly or not. Turns out it doesn't really matter that much.

Please feel free to ask questions and make yourself at home.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:59:04 am »
I have a friend in italy who had the same nerve operation to her face, she is making a good recovery, they told her to expect a grade 2/3 recovery which is good, and to the untrained eye looks normal
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 09:15:28 pm »
Carlita,

I see you clearly now:-)  You were able to post your picture. You have a great smile and I hope that as you heal, you get  back to smiling.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

carlita

• Used to be my smile...
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 02:59:21 pm »
yeah how much is 2/3, my surgeon told me the same?

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 03:14:23 pm »
The House-Brackman scale is explained pretty well toward the bottom of this page:
http://www.entusa.com/bells_palsy.htm#House%20Brackman%20Facial%20Nerve%20Grading%20System

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

LADavid

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 07:56:58 pm »
Hi Carlita

You've found a good home.  Please rely on us for support -- emotionally and for information.  And I don't know whether this is cool or not (Phyl? Judy?) but can Carlita mention the name of the insurance company that dropped her?  I really do think the bad guys should be exposed (just as the good guys should be praised).  Maybe with enough bad exposure, they would think twice before sticking it to one of our own.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:12:08 pm »
In the section under Insurance, people name names all the time when they are complaining about insurance companies on coverage issues, so I don't see any reason why Carlita couldn't name names as well. We gotta call 'em like we see 'em.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 08:46:20 am »
I say Carlita should name names if she wants to.

If it turns out to be inappropriate, I'm sure Phyl will censor her  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways