Author Topic: Attended First Support Group Meeting Today  (Read 8758 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Attended First Support Group Meeting Today
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 01:59:07 pm »
I'm going to start using the new credentials:  Dr. Phyl, dfM (Doctor of Discussion Forum Moderation, not to be confused with the male Dr. Phil)

well, Doc... look at all of these belated "Welcome".  Yep, we certainly try our best, at support group meetings and here, to make all feel at home.

Dr. Phyl, dfM  ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:01:21 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 02:00:47 pm »
Jim .....

Just noticed your new avatar ...... is it you?   ;)  (I'm sure it is ..... and it is a good picture ..... but quite different from the previous one.)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 02:29:17 pm »
Clarice ~

That's for noticing.  My previous avatar photo was over 2 years old and a bit blurry so my wife snapped a new one for me to use.  I don't care for it too much as I look a bit fierce but decided to use it anyway, at least until I can get a better-looking photo, if that's even possible, considering the subject matter.  ;) 

Phyl:  The thread hijack is now officially ended. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

doctorb

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 02:30:46 pm »
Clarice,

No need to apologies...friendly banter is a good thing.  Allow me to share the story behind the nick name "Doc."  When I was very young my father gave me with the nick name "Doc" after hearing it on Bugs Bunny.  We've all heard the infamous "What's up Doc" to which I usually reply "a Chicken's a*s when it eats, do you need a visual."   :D

He later refined the explanation for why he gave me the name by saying, "one should pursue the vocation they're best qualified for" and mine was "Underwater Brain Surgery".  Little did he know!?!  That was nearly 50 years ago and the name has mostly definitely stuck; especially throughout a 20 year military career where it helped to show up with a Nick Name already assigned; GI's typically don't have good taste in Nick Names!  :'(

Take Care!

"Doc" Breger
aka:  Joe Lincoln (Another Story)

Phyl - I like it...not a medical Doctor Phyl!  Something tells me you're probably just as smart though!  

Thank you Jim Scott - greatly appreciated.  I still have a long way to go on my road to recovery but I think having found the Atlanta Group and this Forum thanks to Cindy, that road will be a little bit easier perhaps.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 04:28:32 pm by doctorb »

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 02:31:17 pm »
Phyl:  The thread hijack is now officially ended.   

noted, oh mighty fierce one! ;)  Dr. Phyl, dfM
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 02:33:20 pm »
Phyl - I like it...not a medical Doctor Phyl!  Something tells me you probably just as smart though!

naw, only play one on tv! ;)

Ok, folks... back on topic now (officially!)..... and glad that Dr Joe is here and looking forward to his contributions about his AN journey.... and here's sending wellness wishes his way (and to everyone else!) :)

Dr. Phyl, dfM :D

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 02:40:10 pm »
...... and we do banter!  (Phyl, isn't this part of "Support?" :-*)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 02:56:59 pm »
...... and we do banter!  (Phyl, isn't this part of "Support?" :-*)

Clarice

"E" for Effort, Clarice.  Good thing I remember your hugglez :)

May move this to "AN Community" so the *coff* banter can continue.

Dr, you fine with that?  "AN Community" has minimal forum moderation and you can chat away in this thread.... you ok with that?

Dr. Phyl, dfM

doctorb

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 03:03:02 pm »
Move as necessary, I'm ok with that...thanks for the heads up!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 03:06:19 pm »
done.  Thanks DrB.... let the banter continue. Have fun. :)

Dr. Phyl, dfM (man, I am really likin' typin' that!)  :o  ;D  8)

cindyj

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 04:25:35 pm »
Dr. Phyl, if I talk about our support group meeting topic, can this move back out of AN Community ::)

We did have an awesome speaker at the meeting - Gaye Cronin from the Atl Ear Clinic.  She's a vestibular therapist and neuromuscular facial retrainng expert/person (?).  Was so informative!  Really helped explain why vestib excercises post surgery/radiation is so important.  I've been trying to do some, but had stopped as they just make me so nauseous.  However, after hearing her, I've vowed to get back to the excercises to give my system a fighting chance to fully compensate...but, yuck.

She also talked a bit about the tinnitus reduction therapy they do - they've had a good bit of success, apparently.  They use some sort of electrode in the ear - she was very clear that they only do this on patients whose tumors have been completely removed.  So, radio patients are not candidates, unfortunately. 

Anyway, great info and great company...and pretty good brownies, too! 

Cindy

PS - Thanks, Doc, for clearing up the whole "doc" matter :)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

moe

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 10:52:15 pm »

She also talked a bit about the tinnitus reduction therapy they do - they've had a good bit of success, apparently.  They use some sort of electrode in the ear - she was very clear that they only do this on patients whose tumors 
/quote]

I'm going to keep my ears perked (or ear) for tinnitus reduction therapy here in the Pacific NW. My tumor is all gone (along with the sacrificial facial nerve). Always a bother......
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 06:15:21 am »
Dr. Phyl, if I talk about our support group meeting topic, can this move back out of AN Community ::)

Actually, it should be in AN Community anyway as other forums here may/may not truly apply. We typically mention all AN-related get-together's here (ie: Apple Dumplin Brunch, upcoming ANA Support group mtgs, etc), so my thoughts..... keep it here. AN Community is a widely-read forum as well.... so, may get better exposure here and allow newbies to recognize the value of in-person meets, such as the support group meetings.

Dr Phyl, dfM has spoken :D

(thanks for understanding)

cindyj

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 08:29:26 am »
I was really just kidding about moving the thread again, Dr. Phyl ;D

Moe, check out the Atlanta Ear Clinic website - they have some info about the various techinques they use.  May be helpful to you.  I am kicking around the idea of trying the electrode thing myself.  She said that they you have six sessions and they evaluate you.  Apparently, if no improvement is seen after six treatments, there won't be any improvement.  I'll let y'all know if I pursue it...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

moe

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2009, 10:41:25 am »
Please do let me/us know it you pursue the electrode thing. Very interesting. I'll check the web site- THANKS!!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty