Author Topic: Let there be movement!!  (Read 7103 times)

rsteph

Re: Let there be movement!!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 10:27:14 am »
I had 3.7 cm with right sided totall facial paralysis. At 10 months post op I noticed a very tiny movement that my doc could not see until I pointed it out. Though I was not impressed with it and thought that was all the movement I would get... he about jumped out of his chair when he saw it.  It has now been seven months since I noticed the movement and it continued to get better and better.  Now I can almost smile and my face looks normal in resting position.  Your recovery sounds like you are on a normal track and that is great news.  I was told at six months that I would not have any recovery esp after they tested the nerve and said it was too badly damaged. I told them I felt a lot of tingling and I chose to wait and at 10 months the movement  started.  The doctors are all shocked and amazed at my recovery.  I will post before and after pics soon because people need to understand and have hope that facial nerves are not on a standard time line and can recover after long periods of time. 
3.7 cm AN Translab Aug 08' 100 percent removal UT Southwestern - CSF leak, Bacterial Meningitus. Rt side Facial Paralysis.  Partial facial movement returned 11 months post op.  Still healing

Darren

Re: Let there be movement!!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 12:17:37 pm »
That is so awesome!! To help the nerve some more try eating pepperchines and jalapenos!!! I eat them at least once a day- I was told spicy and hot foods help stimulate the nerve! It makes sense since the nerve is also responsible for taste right? try it out!

rsteph

Re: HOT SAUCE!
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 01:10:28 pm »
Funny you mention hot sauce because I to noticed the same thing during this slow recovery. I drank hot sauce and purchased some of the hottest stuff on earth during the past year (not recommended :)).  When I noticed the stimulation the way you desribe it while I ate hot spicy stuff, I continued to eat more.  My co-workers and I go to some really dive taquerias that  have some very hot sauce for most people.  They always commented and asked me how in the heck I ate all that hot sauce.  I guessed it helped having partial paralysis on my taste buds to.  The more you stimulate the nerves the better regardless of how you do it. 

I believe getting some natural sun on your face helps to.  I also purchased a back massager (one of those hand held ones at Target when my movement started to return.  My therapist recommended some kind of massage stimulation.  It has the red led lights on the end and heats up.  I use that on my face, forehead, and the corner by my nose daily for a few minutes.  I also take Centrium Vitamins, Omega 3-6-9, and Vitamin B-12 liquid. 

I also pushed my tongue against the roof of my mouth a lot prior to my returning movement.  It somehow  stimulated my jaw muscles.  I don't eat so much hot stuff any more but I swear it helped.
3.7 cm AN Translab Aug 08' 100 percent removal UT Southwestern - CSF leak, Bacterial Meningitus. Rt side Facial Paralysis.  Partial facial movement returned 11 months post op.  Still healing