Author Topic: CK v. Linac, Proton & Other Fractionated Methods  (Read 2366 times)

wdw1955

• Bill Weber
CK v. Linac, Proton & Other Fractionated Methods
« on: July 24, 2010, 11:40:32 pm »
I am new.  1.8 x 1.5 x 1.0 right bilateral AN diagnosed during 6/10.

85% certain at this point that I will choose radiation therapy, probably CK at Stanford.  I understand that CK is essentially a more accurate form of GK, which can and usually is fractionated in a small number (3 to 5) of sessions.

I have not done much research on other fractionated methods such as Linac, Proton therapy, and other methods that fractionate over 25 to 30 sessions.  I want to learn about these methods before settling on CK.  Can anyone point me to data that describes and compares these various methods and the treatment outcome result expected on AN patients using these methods?
6/10 - Diag. w/ 1.8 x 1.5 x 1.0 mm right bilateral AN

suboo73

Re: CK v. Linac, Proton & Other Fractionated Methods
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:28:19 am »
Hi wdw1955,

Welcome to the Forum - but sorry you had to join this exclusive club.  :o

There is so much information both here in the Forum (you can search the topics) and on the internet...
I read about GK on the Unv. of Pittsburgh site, as they were the first to use it here in the US.
For CK, i read the CK Forum.  Proton is very specific, and i ended up reading some information from Loma Linda in CA and in Mass.

I am in W & W since Oct 2008, and still researching.  Since ANs are usually slow growing and benign, you have time.

Others will chime in, i am sure, with more specific information. 
I don't know of any one report that compares the different methods, but perhaps someone will let me know if it exists.

I believe i would choose CK as well.  But since i am on the east coast, my concern is always the follow-up treatment.
There are some discussions about this, too.

Best wishes on your research!

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 01:33:34 pm »
Hi, Bill!  Welcome to the ANA Discussion Forums.

Although I regret that you were diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, at least it's benign and treatable.  Irradiation is a favorite choice for many AN patients with smaller tumors amenable to one of the available radiation procedures.  Had my AN been small enough upon diagnosis, I very likely would have chosen radiation but my large AN, pushing hard on my brain-stem, precluded that option so I went for debulking, then radiation (FSR), instead.  Researching your radiation options is wise.  This website offers a comprehensive overview of treatment options, including an explanation of radiation procedures and how they work.  Here's a link: http://www.anausa.org/treatment_options.shtml#3

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees with any type of AN treatment, be it surgery or radiation.  However, the odds of having a successful radiation treatment today are quite good.  Again, although no treatment is completely risk-free and radiation is relatively easy (compared to surgery) it does carry some risks, including the slim chance of tumor re-growth.  Still, many of our members are radiation 'veterans' and the majority had no serious post-radiation complications and no re-growth.  For instance, my FSR was complication free and very successful (the tumor died). 

I'm confident you'll make a treatment decision that is best for you - and I hope we can help you do so.  We'll try.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lynnee

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:12:25 pm »
Hello Bill,

I'm new here too and just found a site you may find useful to answer the questions about different radiotherapies.
Go to www.anworld.com  Then go to the newbie section.  If you scroll down the page there is a link to a Emedecin paper by Dr. Schwaber that I found very thorough.

Hope it helps,
Linda
51 y.o.
1.4 cm x 1.2cm x 1.3cm in the CPA touching the brainstem
8mm x 4mm in the IAC

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:23:12 pm »
Bill ~

Similar information is readily available here: http://www.anausa.org/treatment_options.shtml.  This website is much more than just the discussion forums.  Please explore it and allow the expertise of doctors, medical personnel and patients to help inform you.  We don't have all the answers to every question but we do have a lot to offer the AN patient.  Although there is a lot of AN-related information available on the internet, I hope you'll make this site a prime resource.  If I appear biased, it's only because I am.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.