Author Topic: Radiologic options for regrowth  (Read 1772 times)

mar50

Radiologic options for regrowth
« on: June 23, 2016, 03:46:02 pm »
I found out this week at my 10 year MRI, that I have small re-growth, app. 4 mm.  I am waiting and watching for now and having a follow up MRI in six months,  but my discussion with my neurosurgeon was all about GK to treat it.  He said no surgery, which I didn't argue with!  I had surgery in 2006, followed by GK 6 weeks later to shrink the tumor left behind intentionally during surgery.  That left behind shrunk and died over several years.  My last MRI three years ago was clear.  I have been trying to find all the information I can about re-growth treatment options.  The question I have that I can't find addressed anywhere is  - if you've had GK once, can you treat regrowth with any of the other options like CK?  Would there be any reason to do so?  Any other resources or insights from those of you who have faced regrowth?  I have retained some hearing on my AN side, and have mild palsy.  I know I have time on my side to make choices this time around and am concerned about doing my best homework to ensure as much as possible that this is my last go-around.  The easiest way to go would be just do as my neuro recommends, and I do trust and respect him a lot, but unlike last time around, I have time and resources to make sure I do my homework.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you in advance.

PaulW

Re: Radiologic options for regrowth
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 02:25:10 pm »
I believe it's possible to have GK or CK a second time. It is dependant however on how much radiation you received the first time around and how much you will receive this time and to where it went.
So if you had a 3cm tumour and they wanted to zap the entire 3cm tumour again the answer may well be no.
Personally I would stick with your original people that did GK.
The reasons being they would probably have a copy of your original GK plan and should be able to model the risks of the second GK treatment.  4mm is not a big target. I believe the smallest beam available for GK is 4mm while CK it's 5mm. So depending on the size beam they choose GK may give you significantly less radiation. GK also has an advantage of less low dose radiation to surrounding tissue. This matters little for a one off treatment but becomes important if you go back for a second or even third treatment.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!