Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421517 times)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1200 on: January 19, 2012, 05:52:42 pm »
My hat off to those that run!  I can't do that but I have started taking a spinning class once a week at the gym.  I love the class but my ears can't handle the loud music.   :(
So this week I wore an ear plug in my left ear (AN ear) but think next week I'll be wearing one in both ears.   ;D  Keep on keep'n on everyone, no matter what you do.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

cindyj

« Reply #1201 on: January 20, 2012, 08:53:12 am »
My hat off to those that run!  I can't do that but I have started taking a spinning class once a week at the gym.  I love the class but my ears can't handle the loud music.   :(
So this week I wore an ear plug in my left ear (AN ear) but think next week I'll be wearing one in both ears.   ;D  Keep on keep'n on everyone, no matter what you do.

Karen

I have to admit (did last year, but don't think you were here then ;)) that I don't run that much.  Yes, I'm doing another 1/2 marathon (did my first one just as I was diagnosed w/ my AN and have done 3 since surgery), but we do a jog/walk thing...with much more walking than jogging 8) But just getting out and moving some kind of way is all that matters so it's great that you are doing the spinning class.  I haven't tried one, but hear they are tough, but fun! 

In thinking post surgery, I have ordered tai chi for women.  It looks good.  I know it's not running or even walking, but I heard its good for balance if I come out wobbly.  Anybody try tai chi post op?  I have Translab next Wed  1-25-12 and am visualizing a good and healthy recovery.  Any experience with tai chi appreciated!
Stephanie

Hey, Stephanie!  I did a six week tai chi class last year.  Knew it was so good for balance.  I think it's the coolest thing, too!  However, for me, it was just too slow moving - lots of proper breathing - very good for you in many ways, but I didn't keep it up.  Let us know how you like it!  One thing I did post surgery (been discussed on the forum quite a bit) was the Wii Fit...But, mainly, I walked and walked and walked :D

Hope to see you two back here often!  Good luck next week, Stephanie! 

Soundy, get that colonoscopy done!  It's a piece of cake (well, once the cleansing is done :o

Have a good weekend, all,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

chloes mema

« Reply #1202 on: January 20, 2012, 12:24:18 pm »
Agree totally with what Cindy said.  Tai Chi was way too slow for me but I love yoga.  Have had trouble over the years doing yoga because of balance issues but lately its been good.
Soundy, do get the colonscopy done!   ;)
Besides the spinning class I do the treadmill almost everyday.  Figured I have to get as healthy as I can.   ;D

Karen

Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1203 on: January 24, 2012, 03:39:28 pm »
Podiatrist said my problem is plantar fasciitis, not a bone spur.  Who knew? 

Treatment is exercises - basically stretching the foot - and wearing an insert that he made for me inside my left shoe.  If the insert helps, which it currently is doing, he'll check with my insurance company about paying for a "real" one for me.  He also recommended that I don't walk around barefoot  :(

In the meantime, I'm able to keep walking and running on my foot - thank goodness. 

Have been at the fitness center daily since I joined.  And the good news is I've finally re-learned how to run on a treadmill; something I wasn't able to do since my AN surgery (for some unknown reason)   ::)

I'm not at Patrick's or Keri's level with my running yet - but maybe one day.  I can only hope.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chloes mema

« Reply #1204 on: January 24, 2012, 04:30:27 pm »
Jan sorry to hear about the plantar fasciitis, it can be painful.  I had plantar fasciitis years ago.  The two things, only things, that worked for me were yoga (stretches the foot a lot) and wearing Birkenstock sandals & shoes.  I know yoga could be a problem for us ANers if we have balance issues but I still give it a try.   
Good luck with this. 

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Kaybo

« Reply #1205 on: January 24, 2012, 04:50:26 pm »
Jan~
I could have saved you that money since I told you that I thought it might be PF!!  I still think that the SOLE inserts are what really helped mine.  In fact, mine has really been acting up - I think it is because I haven't been wearing the SOLE's & they are old.  I have new ones but have been too lazy to "bake & mold" them - guess the pain isn't that bad yet!  LOL!!  Isn't it great that we can still work out??

I could not run on the treadmill either and still prefer not to - I can walk on a treadmill (but find it VERY boring) and run on solid ground but find the treadmill difficult.  I finally stopped my stress test Friday, not b/c I was too taxed, but b/c I felt like I was falling off the treadmill since I was running & the incline was so steep.

K   ;D

PS - Incidentally, the stress test went fine and the Dr said that "you have a better heart than I do..."
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1206 on: January 25, 2012, 11:27:39 am »
I could have saved you that money since I told you that I thought it might be PF!! 

My insurance covered the doc's visit, but you are right.

Maybe you should change your Forum name to Doc Kaybo  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #1207 on: February 03, 2012, 02:31:25 pm »
How's everyone doing?  Treadmills going?  Iron pumping?  Walking trails being walked? 

:)

cindy
(I ask this while I am full of guilt for just finishing off a Three Musketeer bar  ^-^)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1208 on: February 03, 2012, 02:50:42 pm »
Finally got off my duff and have made it to the gym three times this week ..... nothing huge ..... treadmill and Nautilus machines ..... but sure better than sitting on my backside!  Also, have dropped 16 pounds on Weight Watchers ..... another 10 to reach my goal ..... pant, pant!!

Never want to go to the gym or watch my points, but it is paying off!

Good way to claw my way out of the Winter Doldrums!!   :D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #1209 on: February 03, 2012, 02:52:18 pm »
Clarice way to go  ;D ;D ;D Feels good huh?
Keep up the good work.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

chloes mema

« Reply #1210 on: February 03, 2012, 05:27:51 pm »
Clarice - you go, girl!   WOW!  Proud of you.
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1211 on: February 08, 2012, 11:15:02 pm »
Still going to the gym on a regular basis.

Running is getting to be more actual running - and less walking.  At first my balance was still "off" on the treadmill and I kept leaning to the left (maybe because my AN was on the left?) but I've pretty much gotten over that.

Have also been on the recumbent bike on a regular basis - and am now ready to give the ARC Trainer a try (as suggested by Kaybo). 

No weight loss yet, but I'm taking it one step at a time.  First step was getting back to exercising regularly; next step will be paying attention to what I eat.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #1212 on: February 09, 2012, 07:01:13 am »
AWESOME JAN!!!

As always...slow & steady wins the race!! Hope you like the ARC! I went back yesterday after over 2 weeks off...a little sore this morning. Plan to go today - have been trying to get my energy back but also have been very busy & finding it hard to work it in with all the running and activities seems like there has been LOTS of volunteering & appointments lately!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1213 on: February 09, 2012, 04:23:34 pm »

Soundy, get that colonoscopy done!  It's a piece of cake (well, once the cleansing is done :o

cindy

still holding off .. but with my dad in the shape he is in with colon cancer and my BIL still in hospital from intestinal blockage that after 12 days in hospital he finally passed on Tuesday what was left after surgery , hosed (small tubes really) poked in both ends to break it up with water ( really made visiting him gross with all the tubes running under blankets and the ones coming out hooked up to canisters to catch what was sucked out)   :o ... but with all that I know I need to get in ... tomorrow morning  is mamo and then I have to sit with my dad until about 6 ... plan on talking to doctor tomorrow and getting scoping scheduled

that all said ... I have been so tied up with dad I have not walked much ... but days I take girls to school ( 4 in last 2 weeks) I have got back into walking the school track ... only walking about 2 miles a day... a long was from the 5 miles a day that I had worked up to ... the March 5K will be here before I know it ... walking in honor of my Dad and Mom ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1214 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement, Kay.  Appreciate it.

Soundy -

Cindy is right.  Colonoscopies aren't as bad as most of us imagine - and hell, if you can get through brain surgery you can get through a colonoscopy!  I had my first one about a month prior to my AN surgery, need to have my second soon.

Jan