Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421483 times)

Jill Marie

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1095 on: August 29, 2011, 09:48:51 pm »
Thanks so much for posting, reading the posts helped me more than I thought it would.  Had to go to work today and it was really rough, hard not to cry when someone asked how my weekend was or mentioned that I wasn't as cheerful as usual.  Really wanted to talk about my Stein but couldn't do it without crying.  Read the posts and smiled and cried at the same time, really needed that!

Kaybo - Yes, he was a really sweet dog, he would lick you to pieces.  Rescued him from a shelter 9 years ago.  As for the eye, will keep the gauze problem in mind as I certainly don't want to make things worse.  My biggest worry Saturday was figuring out how to patch it right.  Doc said it could take two weeks to a few months to heal depending on how good I do with the patching and ointment.  Then Sunday I spent so much time crying that the good eye got sore and red.  I'm using a gauze pad folded over to put pressure on the lower lid to stay closed then putting an adhesive patch over it.  Then the pirate patch to hold it in place as the first night it came off during the night.    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  My eye closes 90% of the way on it's own so I'm hoping I'll be ok.  Thanks for the helpful post!

Clarice -  It's hard when you loose your walking motivator,  he wanted to go the minute I got home, so many, many memories hopefully healing ones eventually.  I've worn the patch two nights now and my eye has looked better in the morning than it had been so I'm hopeful that it will do the trick.  Thanks for helping me feel a bit better!

Soundy -  Yep, lots of crying going one around here, I so understand about you and CD.  You are so right about Rose.  She has spent a lot of time under the dining room table moping.  So much of her life and a good part of ours had Stein in the daily routine.  She would get up with my husband in the morning and be waiting by the door for Stein & I to get up so they could run out into the backyard together.  When I got up this morning she was under the dining room table and made no move towards the back door at all, broke my heart.  Hubby stayed home with her today.  After work we walked over to visit Stein, she went right to where we buried him.  It was a good 50 minute walk which will hopefully help us all sleep better.  Not sure how tomorrow will go, one day at a time!  Thanks for the doggy advice!

Thanks so much, Jill :'( :'( :'(
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Jill Marie

« Reply #1096 on: September 05, 2011, 07:52:28 pm »
Doing a bit better now!  Hubby, Rose & I have walked to visit Stein 4 times this past week.  It's good exercise and helps Rose because she knows exactly where he is.   Rose nor I seem to eat much but I'm sure that will change in time.  Hope everyone had a fun and active Labor Day weekend.  Jill 
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1097 on: September 09, 2011, 04:32:09 pm »
we have logged a grand total of 82 miles ... kids keep track of us as if we are walking somewhere... told them we were almost to Nashville and one child knit his eyebrows together and asked how we were going to make it back... trying to explain we said we would just turn around and walk back the way we came ... then he really looked confused ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1098 on: September 09, 2011, 04:44:30 pm »
Jill .....  So glad you have been out walking with Rose again ..... not an easy thing to do.

Soundy .....  That is too funny about the child who was worried about how you were going to make it back from Nashville.

Kay ......  Just know you are on a temporary hiatus from any exercise until your sweet girl is OK!  (Prayers, prayers!)

To all the dieters ...... Keep it up, y'all.  I really fell off the wagon this past week with too many hours in the car and not being able to control my diet as well.

Back to the grindstone this week.  Also back in therapy for back issues that kicked up again when my regular exercise went out the window post-op.  This cooler weather is wonderful so I am fresh out of excuses.  Get thouest moving, Girl!!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mei Mei

« Reply #1099 on: September 09, 2011, 07:50:17 pm »
I bought a two month pass to weight watchers and tonight I am having a feast.   Wish me luck on my trip to WW.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Soundy

« Reply #1100 on: September 10, 2011, 05:22:44 am »
the little boy is a first grader ... he was so cute in his worrying about us getting back ...kids are so funny

we walked another 6 miles last night down country road ...there is a man that has a rodeo arena set up and hold youth rodeo training Friday and Saturday night .. on way back to start/end we stopped and watched the kids work ...they do roping , barrel racing  and also penning ... concentrating on herding and cattle working skills not bronc riding or bull riding ...

I like watching the penning ... they have 10 calves in the arena and a pen at one end ... 5 calves are numbered 1-5 ..the teams have got to cut out the numbered calves in order and work them into the pen ... wish I had a team on horse when we work our calves ... we had about 40 in a pen and had to work out the 12 we were selling ... we do it on foot ...no horse ... we get it done but it is work ...

back to original thought... we are up to 88 miles ... thinking we should set a goal of 400 by Christmas ... I am still wobbly and have brace and wrap on leg ... shin and just under knee hurts but doctor gave his go ahead to continue walking ... with trusty walking staff in hand I march on
Translab July 2 ,2007

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #1101 on: September 10, 2011, 03:42:39 pm »
back to original thought... we are up to 88 miles ... thinking we should set a goal of 400 by Christmas ... I am still wobbly and have brace and wrap on leg ... shin and just under knee hurts but doctor gave his go ahead to continue walking ... with trusty walking staff in hand I march on

Soundy ~

When I looked up 'intrepid' in the dictionary, it had your name next to it.  ;)  Seriously, your determination to push through pain and adversity to do what you want to do and, more often, what needs to be done, is impressive.  You're a splendid example to those of us who might otherwise fret over relatively minor impediments.  I pray that your paths will be smoothed and your strength will endure.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

« Reply #1102 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:37 pm »
Thanks Jim ...I like intrepid better than the hard headed that most people call me  :D  ... I tend to get obsessive about things and don't have sense to quit sometimes ... I fear not being able to get up and go so go all out while I can ...

did discuss BP meds with doctor when I saw him about my ear yesterday and told him I was not taking them since BP was staying down with all the extra walking ... it was 118/65 ... used to be around 145/100 with no meds ... also tracking heart rate and it is stable and not getting out of rhythm

I am a little wobbly with new ear problem but doctor said keeping up the walking would probably help balance in long run by not letting vestibular nerve get lazy ...

we have 94 miles logged ... I think we will make our goal easily ... we have the annual 5K heart walk/run on the 24th ... me , walking friend , her 3 boys and Sarah will be walking ... Hannah is running ... hoping by spring we can comfortably do some longer walks
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1103 on: September 14, 2011, 05:07:32 am »
Soundy - I read this somewhere the other day: OBSESSIVE is the word that the LAZY use to describe the DEDICATED. I concur with Jim that intrepid is a more appropriate adjective for you. Great news about the BP meds - keep up the good work!

I started a new 12-week Body-for-Life challenge this week. I am considering dropping wheat from my diet this go-round and am in the midst of researching alternative complex carbs. Not quite ready for the full out paleo approach at this time.

MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Mei Mei

« Reply #1104 on: September 14, 2011, 06:56:29 am »
My daughter dropped wheat from her diet about 5 years ago and all her headaches went away.  Her eczema got much better.  She now has her son on the diet and his eczema is improving.   I am going to give it a try for a year but will miss wheat.     There are many alternatives now so it is not as hard as it used to be.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Soundy

« Reply #1105 on: September 15, 2011, 04:24:08 pm »
new daffynitions for words ...

we walked in rain after church last night with 5 groaning kids ...up to 102 miles  ... I think it is as good mentally for me as it is physically
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1106 on: September 15, 2011, 05:30:02 pm »
Amen on the mental, Soundy.

I'm going to go wheat free starting October 1.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Mei Mei

« Reply #1107 on: September 16, 2011, 07:55:36 am »
I am with you.   I am also going cow milk free as I have been having distended stomach for the past three weeks with pain so bad that I ended up in the ER two nights ago.   They wanted to put me in as an in patient, but I had to get home to take care of my father that is on a feeding tube.   Had to leave my car there overnight and get it in the morning.   I want to see if getting off dairy is going to make a difference.   I never had a problem with dairy before but our bodies change.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #1108 on: September 16, 2011, 08:46:47 am »
I am with you.   I am also going cow milk free as I have been having distended stomach for the past three weeks with pain so bad that I ended up in the ER two nights ago.   They wanted to put me in as an in patient, but I had to get home to take care of my father that is on a feeding tube.   Had to leave my car there overnight and get it in the morning.   I want to see if getting off dairy is going to make a difference.   I never had a problem with dairy before but our bodies change.

Mei Mei
ahem Sistah. Kindly listen to your vmail! xoxo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mei Mei

« Reply #1109 on: September 16, 2011, 05:19:55 pm »
I will.   I just got home and just typed a long post on the other thread.  It was a big day.    Thanks for the push!   I was shy as well.
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo