Author Topic: understanding???  (Read 3407 times)

formula30

understanding???
« on: July 24, 2010, 11:38:10 am »
My tumor is 19mm by 18mm by 16mm, it states on my MRI Brain Scan with contrast that it is large........it states that the rigth CP angle extending into the posterior fossa with mild mass effect upon the pons and right cerebellar peduncle.........I am getting more and more confused.....I am going to the neurosurgeon, Dr. James Evans on Monday, he is at Thomas Jefferson Hospital......just kind of trying to understand some of it before I get there.....thanks.

moe

Re: understanding???
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 12:21:07 pm »
Sorry to hear about your AN,
As Jim so eloquently states in his posts (you'll hear from him ;) ) we're not much help with deciphering MRI reports, because that's not our specialty.
I do know that one forumite did a good job of describing someone's MRI.
Basically, your size is 1.8cm x1.8cm x1.6cm, which can be considered med. size according to what WE think. Large is usually 3-4 cm. Make sure your neurosurgeon speaks in people/layman/baby terms so you understand.
As far as the other stuff, it may be mildly compressing part of the brain, so ask if it is pressing against the brainstem. That will determine surgery vs. radiation.
What kind of symptoms are you having?
Let us know what the doc says. We are a wealth of support and advice, with a wee bit of knowledge!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:40:39 pm »
Hi ~

Frankly, these MRI reports are like trying to read Egyptian hieroglyphics.  Even if you look up the words in an online medical dictionary, as I have, the definitions are usually so convoluted and refer back to some other Latin word that the whole process becomes like a maze.  Frankly, it gives me a headache.  The best I can offer is that your AN is well along in growth - although I question the appellation of 'large' for a tumor less than 2 cm - and that the doctor will explain the details.  The salient point is that the size and location will determine the possibilities for treatment.  Your doctor should be able to give you that information.   I regret not being able to offer an explanation of the MRI report but I wish you a satisfactory consultation with your doctor on Monday.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 04:09:45 pm »
Hi there,

sorry about your diagnosis. Your MRI report sounds very typical to what is seem many times in the forum. Obviously it extends on the CP (cerebellopontine angle), and "pons" is a part of the brainstem. So apparently it compresses mildly the brainstem on the side, something very typical of tumors of this size. Also it affects the cerebellum (which is obvious since it is located in the CP angle).
So, it sounds like a typical AN diagnosis/description, something that of course is never pleasant. Good luck with your doctor's appointment.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

suboo73

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:07:09 am »
Hi forumla30,

When i went for my consult with the neurosurgeon, he drew me a picture, which was helpful both at the time, and later.
Since my sister also has an AN (and had already visited docs), she suggested i take someone along and have that person write everything down.
It is overwhelming trying to understand...  Take a deep breath, go to the appointment, then go home and try to digest what the surgeon said.
You have time and can certainly get a 2nd opinion if necessary.

My prayers are with you today.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 07:43:46 am »
Welcome Formula30 to this forum of caring, supportive friends ....

My diagnosing MRI showed my AN to be 2 cm and on the report it stated it as large.  However, when I went to my neurosurgeon he considered it to be medium, so there seems to be a somewhat difference of opinion on the grouping.  The more important aspect is what it is pressing on and what symptoms you are having.  From your first post, your symptoms sound very much like what mine were except I had a noticeable loss of hearing in my left ear.

I had retrosigmoid surgery and saved 20% of my hearing with 100% speech discrimination so I am using a digital Widex hearing aid with "near normal" hearing.

If you have not gone to your doctor's appointment yet today, you may want to print out or at least look at the questions for physicians that the ANAUSA developed:    http://anausa.org/questions_for_physician.shtml

If you have not done so already, you might want to send for the free ANA materials.  They are very comprehensive and reassuring.  There are newly revised booklets on specific areas that you may want to purchase, as well.

Best wishes and let us know what the doctor says today.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 08:28:58 pm »
Formula -

your AN is medium.

As Clarice suggested, you should contact the ANA for their informational brochures.  They are written in easy to understand terms (no medical-speak) and you'll find them very helpful.

Hope things went well today.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 08:53:50 pm »
Hi Formula!

Size doesn't matter - it's location, location, location!   :D

I'm a nurse, and I get confused trying to read radiologist reports of MRI's, so I wouldn't worry too much about making sense of the report.  The doctor will be able to look at it and tell you what it all means, in a language other than hieroglyphics!  And if he's still speaking a foreign language, keep asking questions until you understand what he's saying - it's your head - you should know what's going on in there!

Hope the doctor's appointment went well and you got the answers you were looking for.  Let us know!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jeff

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 03:43:21 pm »
I think that it is worth mentioning that there are differences in the measurement techniques among the radiologists who read the scans and write the reports. By that I mean that different radiologists might come up with two different measurements.

I agree with the statement that the effect of the tumor in terms of location and the degree to which it is placing pressure on adjacent structures is more important than the numerical value deruved from an image.

Best wishes,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08