Author Topic: Treatment  (Read 3226 times)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Treatment
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:48:17 pm »
I am a new member and my first post.  I am in wait and see mode as my AN is fairly small at 5mm.  I have recently heard of a different treatment that is called Proton Technology.  Has anyone heard of this?  It is done at Loma Linda Medical center in California.  According what their web page says it has much less side effects than radiation.

sgerrard

Re: Treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:13:31 pm »
Proton beam therapy is similar to stereotactic radiation treatment, using protons instead of x-rays.

There have been some topics on the forum about it, and several people here have been treated with it. Here are two topics:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9817.0
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1021.0

If you do a search for proton beam, you can find others. Besides Loma Linda, it is done at several other places around the country. I think proton beam gets its best results treating various cancers throughout the body, rather than treating benign brain tumors such as acoustic neuromas.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 04:26:56 am »
Hi TJ and welcome. Proton treatment is radiation.... also offered at Mass General Hospital in Boston and I believe somewhere in the Houston(?) area.  Very expensive treatment, not a lot of data known on its efficacy specific to AN treatments.  I know of 4 folks here that have had Proton treatment... one failure, 2 being monitored and one many years out.  Recent AN patients of Proton (in past 2 yrs or less) are users here by the profile names of "tsl" and "elliemae". Both were treated at MGH in Boston. I know them both personally and spend time with them face to face. Both seem to be doing well and tolerating the treatment well.  Been monitoring their situations (as well as making sure they are well fed at brunches held here in the NE) as I look to seek their progresses. Both are terrific about sharing their Proton Radiotreatments here on the forums. Steve has provided terrific links for reference as well.

Also look for user Stoneaxe. His Proton treatment did not do as hoped and he recently went for surgical removal here in Boston as well. He's been doing great, based on his updates (look for his "paddleboarding" experiences, especially in the "AN Community" forum).

A well-rounded reference for your research.

Again, welcome to the forums.  We're all here to help as best as we can. Please hang in there and sending wellness wishes your way!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 05:34:28 am »
I just talked with a man yesterday who is heading to Jacksonville, FL for Proton treatment for his son (I assume it's at Mayo down there).  Cancer, not AN, but I just wanted you to know there's another place for it as well.  Don't know where you are in the country.

Best of luck to you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:55:31 am »
Hi TJ and welcome to the forum  ;D

You say you are a new member, but I'm not sure if you're a new member to the ANA or to the Forum.

If you aren't a new ANA member, please contact them and they'll send you their informational brochures as well as a WTT (willing to talk) list.  You don't have to be a member to get this information - but you will find it very valuable.

If you are a new member to the ANA, I'm sure they've already sent you this information. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »
Thank you all for your comments.  Like everyone else going throught this we all want to make sure the treatment we get is the correct one.  Yes I am a member of AN and sent they the same question but they have not responded so I thought I would put it on the forum.  I go for my next MRI on 9/1 and since my AN is small if it has not grown I am sure my doctor will just want to wait and see.  I am not sure that would be good either as all I have read says the smaller the better.  Thanks Again.

suboo73

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 03:33:39 am »
Hi TJ and welcome!

Sorry you have to join this club, but it sounds like you are doing your homework!
I did speak with someone at Loma Linda. 
They said i would have to send my MRI pics after 6 month interval and they would let me know if i was a good candidate for proton beam.
After more research, i decided to stay in Watch and Wait for awhile longer...since being misdiagnosed for a long time, i figured i could go awhile longer!  ::)

Keep doing your research - i have been at it for over 8 months for myself; but know about ANs since my sister was diagnosed 6 months before me.
When i talk with her, we know that our AN journeys are very unique and no two are necessarily the same even for siblings!

Do your homework and you will eventually 'know' what is right for you.
All my best thoughts and prayers to you.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 06:53:31 am »
Hi TJ

I can't offer much advice on your question at this time, but just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I see a lot of others with more knowledge about this have already provided greated information.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 03:09:26 pm »
Hello - and welcome, TJ.  Thanks for posting.  I can't add anything substantive at this point but I trust you'll visit us as often as you feel necessary.  We understand your situation and want to help in whatever way we can.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.