Author Topic: Loud noise may increase tumor risk (MSN article)  (Read 2627 times)

wanderer

Loud noise may increase tumor risk (MSN article)
« on: February 22, 2006, 09:28:47 pm »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11391401/from/RSS/

above is an article about AN's from MSN,  I thought some might be interested.

Rc Moser

Re: Loud noise may increase tumor risk (MSN article)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 09:00:02 pm »
I suspected that all along beings Ive worked around Jet engines for 33 years. Nothing louder than a B1 or F111 in Full Afterburner! Now getting the government to amit they ruint my hearing? Yea right!
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

matti

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 09:26:50 pm »
While driving to see my doctor for MRI results (7 1/2 years post op and having wierd symptoms and pain) I heard Dr. Dean Edell talk about Acoustic Neuroma's and a possible cause being loud noise/trauma to the ear. He said the loud noise could be a stimulas causing the hearing nerve to grow cells. He cited a study, but did not say one way or the other what he thought about it.

While at the doctor, I mentioned it to him and he said that if that were the case, wouldn't more people  have AN's? 

Good news is that there is no sign of re-growth, and I am being referred to a neurologist. They believe something, maybe a virus has decided to set up shop on my AN side and wreak havoc. Does the fun ever end?????

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Rc Moser

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 10:06:37 pm »
I really don't think they can prove or dis-prove it. I know I had severe noise trama in 1991. Some jerk pulled the headset pad off of headset's that I checked out and by luck it was that side my AN popped up on?. Course that day the aircraft had to be ran in a hurry, even with ear plugs in a Jet engines produced high pitches db's that other noises making devices rarely produce. IMO that what started mine. Nobody in my family has this or any other brain tumors. But, I could be the lucky one. That's why I play powerball!. I think more and more will have this, seems like it's on the increase to me.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 08:02:04 am »
I agree with Matti and her Dr.

jamie

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 12:03:56 pm »
Well, my neuroma is lower than acoustics, just barely though. I have been exposed to ALOT of loud music, as I've been to many concerts, clubs, raves, etc. I always stood right next to the speakers with no ear protection, not too smart I guess.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

FlyersFan68

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 12:41:15 pm »
As a long time disc jockey and starting out years ago at age 14, I was always around loud music in clubs and dance halls. When I told a friend of mine two years ago about my tumor his initial response was "it's probably because of the dj'ing"! Even though both ears were always around loud music and various levels daily I always utilized my left ear way more than my right while cueing up next song in my headphone. My left side has excellent hearing. Some friends that grew up with me dj'ing seem to have no problems with hearing. I think it's most likely un-related. Even with the analog cell phones. I almost always used my left side on every telephone yet it happened to my right.   

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 02:29:53 pm »
All,
  For those interested, here's the link to the original article in the "American Journal of Epidemiology",
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/163/4/327
  I love the noise catagory that included "screaming children".  Who says science has no sense of humor.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

antoinette

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 12:03:48 pm »
I know how much noise influences my well beeing. On some occasions, noise gave me much nausea, I was also confuse and uncoordinated for a while. But the pains and discomfort did not go away when I was away from the noise that started the problem, it always takes a few days to thin down to normal. But with an AN, what is normal?
antoinette