Author Topic: Facial Nerve Help  (Read 6747 times)

Angela

Re: Facial Nerve Help
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 12:46:09 pm »
I'm 11 months post-op and extremely grateful that I'm almost back to normal.  I try not to whine about my facial paralysis, my deafness, my goofy balance, and cognitive difficulties.  Some days, my ego can't handle it all and I do get quite depressed.  Luckily for my husband & our 2 kids, the funky mood goes away when I see someone coping with seemingly worse disabilities.

I have both upper and lower tear duct plugs.  The procedure's painless and I use drops only a few times a day, then have to remember to swipe my eyelid every hour since I can't blink.  At night, I wear goop and an eye bubble;  It's ugly but it works.  The only corneal ulcer I've gotten is when I was too vain to wear the bubble.

My acquaintence at work who had an AN surgery shortly before me wears the stick-on gold weight.  He, like me, doesn't want surgery to graft the facial nerve.

Recovery from surgery and all the other complications are so hard on a relationship and the people too.  I'm sorry that girlfriend left but it's better that he found out now, rather than losing a wife!  Hey, "if you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen!"  This is survival of the fittest, that's for sure.

I haven't logged on in a long time.  I was comforted to read that so many people say "hang in there" and "be patient".  I am anxious because I think my face could move tomorrow, or the next day, or next week, or...
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

wadsy

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 05:28:10 pm »
Hey anab thanks for your comments. I'm at the 9mth post op stage and I appreciate things recover slowly but some days are a pain in the.........  Anyway, I agree, better to lose a girlfriend than a wife and AN is a testing time on any realtionship. I admire anyone who pulls their relationships through tough times.
Hey on a different note, I have been taking a calcium/magnesium suppliment for the past two weeks (suggested by a friend as the body apparently needs it to heal properly) and I seem to be getting more 'activity' in my face i.e. jabbing pains and sensation. Only slight eye movement yet, nothing else. Anyone else heard of the suppliments or think just coincidence owing to the time frame?

Thanks,

Wadsy.

Angela

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 12:26:24 pm »
I had not heard of a calcium/magnesium supplement.  Nothin' to lose so I'll try it, thanks for the tip!

A nurse friend did tell me to take Vitamin B12 for nerve regeneration and general nerve health.  I got sub-lingual (under the tongue) B6 & B12 at 'Trader Joes';  It dissolves really fast and is almost tasteless.  A neurologist also confirmed that B complex is good for my situation.

My sister-in-law is an optometrist and she recommended fish oil for overall lubrication, but specifically to keep my eye from getting too dry.

Good luck--
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

kimmy

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 02:44:15 pm »
Hi - I'm 5 months post translab now and luckily my face improved quite quickly. I was what they call here Grade 3 when I left hospital. I got my smile and raised eyebrow back at about three and a half months but now the elastic seems to have snapped back too far and my smile and chewing makes me squint on the AN side. Nothing noticeable at rest but a little odd in general. I notice someone else mentioned this problem and wonder if anyone knows when it stops.  By the way does anyone's AN ear itch like crazy? :-\
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 05:32:39 pm »
kimmy: itchy ear may be due to dried blood in there, have your family doctor syringe it out and see if something comes out (I havd that after one of my plastic's surgeries). Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

wadsy

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 07:43:11 pm »
Hi kimmy,

My ear itched like crazy and it felt as though it was 'full' The dr just said leave it as it will go away (and it did) I did find though that to make more room for the surgery they 'reversed' my eardrum so just inside the canal I have a blockage, which the dr said was skin so the canal is full block. Does that make sense to anyone? No hearing that side so doesnt matter I suppose. What the elastic you talk about?? I didnt have that, I dont think.
You're lucky that your face came back so soon. 8 mths out and still waiting.....................................

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 05:15:42 pm »
anab: Fish oil? In your eye? Doesn't that 1. stink and 2. sting? Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

vcschaub

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2006, 10:20:01 am »
My facial weakness developed a week after my surgery. It has now been 12 weeks and everything is back except incomplete blinking and tearing in my AN side eye. I can close my eye though. My doctor put me on Restasis which at first seemed to do nothing but I can see now that my eye is more lubricated and I hardly have to use drops anymore (even without the tearing or blinking). I was told to take Flax seed oil daily. I told the doctor I was already taking fish oil and was told to alternate them, one day Flax seed, next day fish oil. Another AN surgery patient recommended Bilberry with lutein and beta carotene so I am taking those as well. I am not sure what helps what but I have had considerable improvement since I started this routine.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

ReeDeeB

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 10:05:54 pm »
Greetings to all of you, I haven't been on this site in several months and just reading through the postings reminds me that I'm not in this alone and as so many of you have already explained, we all heal differently. I had a large AN (over 5cm) removed on the right side in November 2005, I lost my right side hearing, balance is okay (I still run and cycle quite a bit) and I have some of the same aggravations as the rest oif you with dry eye and facial paralysis the most persistent. My Dr. gave me very realistic expectations of 12-18 months for paralysis to subside and a nerve graft is still an option (uh, maybe later!). For the most part I feel very fortunate to have only these two sysmptoms remaining.

As far as therapy that works I've found a lot of improvement with the Japanese method of Acupuncture, which uses smaller needles, massage, herbs, and is more subtle than more mainstream methods. My Ophthamologist is very supportive since I was able to close my eyelid after only 4 treatments. My Neurologist isn't as enthusiastic but as he puts it "it can't hurt", yes sir. I had a close friend refer me and after 3 months of regular visits I have random twitching on the right side of my face now. I agree that good nutrition is important and that subliungual vitamin B-12 is beneficial, as is vitamin C and a good B-complex. I will also try the Calcium-Magnesium now that I've been reminded, it's always been promoted as a "nervous system" aid. Thanks for the tip.

I find that being outside in cold weather brings facial numbness quickly and that a good sauna undoes the effect and tightens up the facial muscles ebout as fast so that's my only other recommendation. Yes, I sometimes tear after eating something sour or hot and sometimes my nose runs on that side only, but I've learned to adapt (and carry tissue). I'm optimistic about the long term and appreciate all of your postings. Thanks

daylilly

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 09:07:35 am »
Thank you to all that post updates on their facial paralysis. My surgery in July of 2005 went fine and I feel pretty good except for the face.
I came out of surgery as a 6-which means complete paralysis. It's kind of like a twilight zone episode-your life is saved but
you must give up your smile. I think things are getting better - I can drink from a cup now and can go out to eat with the
family without food running down my face. I guess I wish I had taken a photograph right out of surgery so that I could compare
any changes. Reading that it has taken this long for others too does give one hope.
3 cm AN
translab July 2005, Emory, Dr. Mattox, Dr. Olson
gold weight, Dr. Wojno
left-sided deaf
left-sided facial paralysis