Author Topic: The Advantages of Single side hearing loss  (Read 8388 times)

wanderer

The Advantages of Single side hearing loss
« on: October 09, 2005, 10:14:51 am »
Hi All,

well It has been almost a year now since I lost my hearing in my left year and I just thought I would post the advantages of losing your hearing in only 1 year.

1.  You can sleep very well at night by burying your good ear in the pillow.
2.  You can sleep at the hospital for the same reason as #1.
3.  You can ignore people and they just think you didn't hear them.
4.  You can frustrate people by making them repeat themselves many times when you really don't care what they are talking about.

I'm sure there are more.   But those are the best I've found so far.

matti

Re: The Advantages of Single side hearing loss
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 11:44:02 am »
You bet there are advantages! My husband and I have been married for almost 25 years and for the first 18 years of those, I was lucky if I got 2 hours of sleep a night, due to his snoring. I was exhausted! He even had surgery to help reduce the snoring, didn't work. Then came my AN and the loss of my hearing nerve, long story short - I have slept like a baby for 7 years now!!
So, I guess my AN cured his snoring problem.

I was able to tune out my boys (during their teen years), like they tuned me out when I spoke to them, except I had an excuse.

I can also to relate to #4. LOL

There are always positives to be found in everything.

matti

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

JHager

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 04:19:12 pm »
This topic is just going to get better and better...  Just what we needed, a few laughs!

Here's a few more I can think of right now:

1) When extraordinarily rude people ask "What are you, deaf?", you can smile sweetly and say "Yes, why?  Do you have a problem with deaf people?" (This is an actual exchange I had in a store once!)   ;D

2) We've all heard the phrase "He/She marches to a different drummer."  Well, with SSD (and, more importantly, the accompanying tinnitus) we can actually hear our drummer.  Just bounce your head rhythmically to a beat that in no way matches the music around you.

3) When people actually begin to converse about things they don't think you can hear, laugh out loud at appropriate moments in their conversation.  Very disconcerting to them.  (Especially my high school students, who still don't seem to understand that my hearing on the left side is just fine.)

4) Using power tools with only one earplug in.  Gets you many stares.

5) If you're using an earphone for your cell phone, you can totally tune out conversations around you, just like people with normal hearing pretend to do while talking on their cell phones.

6) Use one earphone to listen to pundits on the radio.  Tell people that you only listen in the ear that best represents your political leanings.

7) You can go to a loud concert and leave knowing you're hearing is at least as good as everyone else's.

8) Dinner with some people you aren't that fond of?  No problem!  Just sit with your ear facing the room, and all you need to do is nod and smile at appropriate times.

9) Go target shooting, also with only one earplug.  Really freaks 'em out.

Wanderer, you've got it just right - there are advantages to be found!  Thanks for the laughs!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

kim warren

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 03:26:03 am »
Hi Wanderer, your posting did make me grin  ;D it makes such a refreshing change. I find advantages too being deaf in one ear, when my other half's calling me and I can't tell what room he's in, I can't even tell what floor he's on by the time I've found him someone else has gone to his aid.  It definately has advantages, you can have selective hearing and you have a good excuse.  I work with Autistic kids and it has it's advantages then as well.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 10:23:59 am »
you get twice the wear from ear plugs normal people get  ;D !!

My wife likes the TV on a night ... I can turn over and I dont hear a thing ..

Joe

4cm removed at house
Aug 9,2005

I get BAHA on Nov 17,2005
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

JHager

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 12:14:42 pm »
Joe,

What?!?!?! A BAHA?  If you get one of those, how will you take advantage of all the SSR?   ;D

Seriously, will you let us know how it goes?  I'm having translab surgery November 7, so I will be an ideal candidate for BAHA.

Thanks

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

wanderer

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 12:58:34 pm »
It was open enrollment time this month and I was able to change to a company that covers the BAHA,   so hopefully sometime in january I get get the pin implanted.

I feel like such a hypocrite now  ;D

But I guess I could always take off the processor.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 01:02:32 pm »
 :D Just have to say........this post was a welcome relief and gave me a needed giggle for the day. Thanks guys.....you are all the best!  ;D
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Dave_S121

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 03:06:39 pm »
I'm not sure if anyone mention this.

It takes only half as long to have a hearing test.  I know, had one today  :)

68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 03:42:47 pm »
What I really like: every year my husband and I go to some functions with co-workers of ours, there is one particular woman with whom I have ended our friends-ship (rather bluntly I told her never to talk to me again), now this drives her nuts and she keeps trying to "suck up to me" and I just brush her off but what is great is I intentionally sit down to dinners etc. with her directly on my left side (deaf side) and ignore her....she knows I am deaf in one ear but has never taken the time to notice she's on the wrong side so while she talks away I just ignore her and my husband (who always sits on my good side) makes sure I hear everyone else or points out to everyone else that I didn't hear them...he ignores her too. It's great.
I too benifit at sleeping time, being a shift worker it is often loud outside while I sleep during the day, or it's noisy in my own home, I sleep on the good ear and it's not a problem....unfortantely my husband's snore is louder than some of you ladies husband's and I can still hear that, not loud enough to wake me if I am asleep but if I am awake it keeps me awake.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

wanderer

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 09:54:42 am »
I've got a new one.  You don't have to go out and spend a lot of money on a surround sound home theater system

Jeff

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 11:03:45 am »
I'm not sure if anyone mention this.

It takes only half as long to have a hearing test.  I know, had one today  :)

I tried to talk my audiologist into charging half his usual fee since he only had to test one ear. He just laughed.
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

sirialison

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 03:15:26 pm »
Somehow that doesn't seem fair!!! My mom had a mastectomy and now when she gets a mammogram - she only gets charged for half the exam!
Siri Meyer
3.5 cm left side AN
Retro-sig surgery
@ Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
November 24, 2004

Jeff

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 07:14:54 pm »
As a House Ear Clinic "alumus," I am now ontheir mailing list. Last year theysent me a brochure promoting hearing health and protection and in the package they included a set of earplugs. Considering the fact that they had a big part in my single sided deafness, I found this to be humorous. They could have saved a substantial amount had they split up the sets for there many satisfied customers.  ;)
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

suzanne brint

• Sweetly Deaf Left
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 08:44:06 pm »
I had my translab 4 years ago at the House in Los Angeles.  You forgot to mention: sshr is also very intertaining to others as they watch you spin in circles trying to locate where the sound is coming from!  I am a laugh a minute at work. PS: for those who have had BAHA, which insurances paid?  Mine wouldn't cover saying it was a hearing aid. Also, how do you like it?
Suecab
SuzBrint
Acoustic Neuroma 0.9 x 1.2
Translab 2001
House Ear Clinic