Author Topic: Personality Changes  (Read 3984 times)

wife-needs-advise

Personality Changes
« on: June 20, 2005, 08:54:23 am »
Please advise me on any personality changes after removal of an AN.  My spouse is exhibiting unusual and misdirected anger.  Our children have left home because of his rages. I feel that it is caused by a chemical imbalance or siezures due to the trauma.  He is in complete denial.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 09:27:13 am by wife-needs-advice »

russ

Re: Personality Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 08:35:32 pm »
Hi
  Was he quite easy to get along with beforehand? Did he lose any function? Is he on any new meds as for pain or sleep? Did he drink alcohol before? Was he under general anesthesia fo a long time? There is anesthetic withdrawal in some who were under for a long while. What was the name/type of the surgical procedure? With some the brain is mandibelled ( held out of the way ). If the mid-fossa approach was used, the temporal lobes may have been held out of the way. They are involved in control of emotion.
  I would see a Neurologist about this if this behavior is absolutely new. A Psychiatrist if a functional loss was encountered.
  A hard time right now. Especially if the man was prideful.
  Good luck to you. Don't get hurt!!
  Russ

jan pentecost

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 08:30:31 am »
Is he on steroids...which can cause mood swings, changes....I personally haven't heard of seizures after an AN removal......I know that after my surgery, I hated the steroids (given for swelling reduction)........
jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

comphibron

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 11:15:14 am »
I was given steroids to help in the healing process which had an adverse affect on me.After the dosages were reduced and completed I felt better.My wife had noticed the changes in my personality and we contributed it to the steroids.
Tony

bluestar

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 03:40:14 pm »
Your husband is probably depressed - which of us hasn't been in relation to our ANs? If he is taking steroids they won't be helping. I find (as a practising psychologist) that usually getting someone to talk about how thery feel works wonders including for anger but there are probably a lot of feelings underlying it.

If you find it hard to get him to see someone, say it is for your sake and it is about your relationship. In the session itself don't accuse him - just say how you feel. It does work.

It is important you find a therapist who is very skilled and one who relates without blaming him.

I hope this is of some help. My heart goes out to you.

Bluestar
bluestar

Raydean

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 09:38:36 am »
Adding to the excellent suggestions

There's no mention in the original posting of when the treatment was given, tumor size and if there was complications such as hydrocepalus so it's really hard to try and guess the cause of the anger. 
This is an area that you really need medical advice.  Medications, especially the steriods can cause depression and personality changes.  They also remain in the system for a while. 

The "why me" and having to deal with the whole big picture of AN can also  result in anger, especially if there are outcomes that your husband may be frustrated with. Stress and fatique will also add to the situation. It's also difficult and frustrating to no longer be, and to do the things that you once were able to do.  This could be contributing to the situation. Depending on the size, location and experience of the treating medical team there may be brain injury that could be the cause.  Regardless, it's important that you seek out medical evaluations to determine the cause.  Please gather up the MRI's and make an apointment with a good neurologist for a evaluation of the situation. From there recommendations will be made.  As stated in a earlier posting this is needed for the both of you.  Medical assessment is the first step.  A good first step or starting place would be a family doctor who could assist you in this. 

Before the appointment please do a problem list, listing all of the problems.  To help identify the problems draw a simple stick person and divide into sections.  List problems in each section even if they seem unrelated to the brain.  This will help give the doctor a clear picture.   

Thinking of you,
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

AngelaRupp

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 11:24:41 pm »
Encourage your husband to see his Doctor to find a treatment to help control his anger.  I had my 3cm AN removed in Feb. of 2003.  Since then, I have had times where I get super angry at the smallest things.  I think I act out that way when I'm in pain (I have facial cramping on the surgery side)  or overwhelmed with my busy life.  (Three young children, work full time, etc...)    I've started taking Xanax and Wellbutrin.  I'm feeling like my old self again.  I have more patience and am trying to not let the small things get to me. 
I couldn't have gotten through this without the support of my husband.  He's put up with me through so many ups and downs!  Hopefully,your husband realizes he's having anger problems and will get help.  I'm glad I did!  Good luck!  Angela Rupp
You WILL get through this!!
I did.
Angela Rupp
3cm right side
Removed surgically Feb. 27, 2003
Froedtert Memorial Hospital
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Lost hearing and balance nerves. Facial nerve was stretched.
I have just a slight paralysis now, not noticeable to most people!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 05:38:00 pm »
To put a name to what your husband may be experiencing, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This is an anxiety based disorder that we as humans can experience when we have a life threatening experience such as a brain tumor. Will cause anger to the point of rage, great anxiety, fear, sence of aloneness, sleep disorder, depression. Many people are ashamed to admit to depression to another or to even admit it to themselves, particularly men and also many think of p.t.s.d. as only for war vets or something of that nature. You're up against a great battle until your husband is ready to admit to whatever difficulty he may be experiencing. Also there is a chemical imbalance that can occur after brain surgery, not all surgeons "remember" to tell us that, and this may required medication to rebalance, short or long term. I have suffered depression, chemically, since my surgery in 1990, sometimes I am able to cope without medication but since finding out that the tumor has regrown that is not the case. I did go through counselling about 3 years after the tumor was removed the first time, I thought I was going off my rock but it was just a matter of a few sessions of venting my anger and I was much better. Try to talk to your husband or urge him to talk to his g.p., or type here.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)