Author Topic: boxing with a baha  (Read 2723 times)

wanderer

boxing with a baha
« on: May 21, 2005, 08:07:07 am »
Hi All, 

I am still trying to get my insurance to cover the BAHA,   but I was wondering if those of you who have one if you felt that it would be possible to do martial arts or boxing with a BAHA  (with the device removed)

I do jiujitsu and Taekwondo/JKD/Boxing  and was wondering if taking a hit on the screw would seem to hurt excessively.  If it would make it impossible I may just give up on getting a BAHA.

Dave_S121

Re: boxing with a baha
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 09:05:38 pm »
Wanderer, I'm not sure what would happen is one took a "hit" on the BAHA site, but I wouldn't want to try it.  After all the implant is set into the skull and I would be fearful that like a nail in a piece of wood, it you strike it just right you could crack or force it in farther.  Also if you had AN surgery how is your balance?  I had translab and thus the balance and hearing nerve were removed.  For the most part my balance hasn't been affected by the removal of the nerve, but I have noticed if I move too quickly or if I go from a light room into a dark room I a little bit off balance, on occasion.  Just wondering how the quick movements required by your sport is affecting your balance.

Dave Skaja
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 08:37:23 am by Dave_S121 »
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

wanderer

Re: boxing with a baha
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:46:20 am »
Three months out from translab, 2.8 months out from CSF leak surgery, 2 weeks out from surgery to treat staph infection at the sugical site.    Balance is fine for the most part.   except when I get really tired or walking in completely dark rooms.

My hearing and balance nerve were also removed.

So far I've been able to teach TKD, and have been able to do most everything,  but my strength is down from being laid up so long.

I was also doing jiu jitsu and had no problem with that except again for being out of shape.   And the occasional hit on the head  or knee plant on the ear.  Those tended to hurt a bit more than they used to.   (I do now wear wrestling ear gaurds.

Right now with the staph infection i'm not doing anything waiting to see if it will heal.