Author Topic: short term memory problem  (Read 7079 times)

whak50

short term memory problem
« on: March 17, 2006, 07:25:21 am »
I had a lot of them the first six moths after surgery, I would forget where I put things, and even conversations I had with my daughter a few minutes after having them. I had to learn how to think and reason again one way that helped me gain it all back was playing chess on nintendo and worked on my hand eye co-ordination with other games. Sounds stupid but it worked :)

Battyp

Re: short term memory problem
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 09:03:50 am »
I got the old atari system revamped for xmas which helped me with my eye focus problem..since I always lost I dont' know about the hand eye thing  lol 

Playstation is bad...I severed my ankle doing a victory dance after winning a play station game...OOPS

thecakes

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:04:54 am »
  People,  I am about4 years post-op and I still have memory problems. I know this so I try to be very careful where I but things and I write stuff down too but sometimes it always gets screwed up.  I am captain of our 300 club for our school, so all these people send me checks for the year.  I told my husband I will put these checks on our dresser in back of the vase.  OK sounds like a plan.  Today I about lost it, I could'nt find all the checks and my husband had to remind me where I put them.   :'(

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 10:10:38 am »
I put a ring my son wanted to give his gf in a "safe" place.  I was walking out the door, had it on my finger and knew I couldn't wear it in my mri so I put it where I thought it was safe. Made complete and total sense to me when I did it.  Well needless to say my son was not real happy with me when I couldn't remember where I put it.  He finally found it 2 mos later(of course after the date he wanted to gift it) in a strange place. OOPS....drives me batty :-*

Static

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 10:17:36 am »
Whenever I try to explain this short term memory problem to someone, they tell me "oh it happens to everyone, it's just your age".  I know I resemble that remark but it's different.  I used to forget things prior to surgery but after the surgery, well it's just different and I can't put it into words  :-\
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 10:44:00 am »
Yeah I hear it's just the age thing too.  I used to be able to tell you where just about everything was in my house...now I can't remember where I leave my shoes let along my car keys! 

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 12:17:14 pm »
I don't think it's just an age thing, I've had the probelm since around the time of my surgery/diagnoses and I was 23 at the time. At times I think it hasn't really gotten better but it must have because I function at work very well and don't notice it there, at home it's a different thing though! I write all kinds of things down, unfortantly I forget where I put the things I write, sometimes (now that's likely due to age!) Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

matti

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 03:04:08 pm »
I noticed it immediatley after surgery, and so did my husband. Somedays are more pronounced than others. I was telling BattyP that I had been reading books regardiing cognitive disorders and among the various exercises to help correct this disorder, was sex. 

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 04:44:01 pm »
Matti,
So, that's why oldsters can't remember!!!!! 8)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:47:32 pm by Boppie »

matti

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 05:06:05 pm »
Boppie - I know what you mean, but I'd rather blame it on my AN. LOL
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

sunshine16

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 10:39:11 pm »
Well, I'm 30 years old and I have a bad memory right now >: ???.  It's just bad.  I have to write down everything to make sure I don't forget them and it's hard for me to remember some hard english words.  I'm Filipina, born and raised in the Philippines and Tagalog is my first language just imagine trying to translate every single word in my brain to English it's tough!  Good thing I have my walking dictionary w/ me and he's American who is my husband to help me out remember words or events.....  ha ha

Please, tell me this will improve right?  I hope so, I feel like I talk very stupid sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 10:40:54 pm by sunshine16 »

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 07:43:26 am »
Sunshine I'm sure if will get better with time and practice.  I do want to tell you that you just taught me something.  I've never known what tagalog language is and now I know.  I thought it was something the date site I read it on made up.  My therapists are all from the phillipines.  I was laughing the other day as one spoke in tagalog to the boss and the boss answered in english.  Just remember english is one of the hardest languages to learn!  Heck I have spoken english all my life and I can't remember some simple words or I say the end of my sentence first right now. 

Thanks for making me smile!! ;D

sunshine16

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 08:54:22 am »
one thing funny was yesterday, I was explaining something to my husband and just caught myself talking to him in Tagalog.  And he just said in English....... 

All your therapist are Filipino?  Hmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 09:12:59 am »
Yes it's owned by a lady from the phillipines and all of the employees are from the phillipines. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 10:27:43 am »
I've been having bad memory for the past couple of years, but attributed it to my drug-induced haze of my high school years (ah, over 25 yrs ago). You mean I can blame my AN for it? Kewl, works for me!  ;D
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"