Author Topic: about 2 weeks since i heard the words "AN"  (Read 11412 times)

suboo73

Re: about 2 weeks since i heard the words "AN"
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 05:47:55 am »
Carter,  I will be thinking of you today, and hope you get all your questions answered.  --  I think you are so brave to make as many decisions as you already have in a relatively short period of time....  Even with my recent diagnosis, i am still trying to absorb all the information (and i already knew the basics from my sister, who started going through the same thing just 6 months ago!) --  I will say a prayer for you now and wish you strength and courage in the coming days. 

Take care and keep posting - those here on this forum and wonderful!

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

carter

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 01:53:38 pm »
it has gotten worse .... 

i had slept very little last night - thinking and steroids?????   i had decided that teh eharing was to be lost   but cyber knife is still better than surgery.

when i arrived to oklahoma cyberknife, wife and i met with dr.  i expressed my concerns using teh events to emphasize the points.  about 1/2 way through dr heaton stops me and says that she had decided not to treat me based on the location - pressing into the stem.  she said that she had reviewed the plan and as the tumor has a cystic portion, she is afraid of swelling. 

i never could piece this together in total ... but she wanted to involve teh ent ---- i have seen him once and he did not even tell me about AN face to face.  my GP is a good guy  ----  but i remeber as i got my physical a month ago- i asked about cyber knife and AN ....... he said that he agreed to give it a try as he has seen too many paralized faces and demoed his impressions.... dr heaton called him and per her, he recommended thta i go see nuero surgeon that she is suggesting.   

dr shwed images from plan and how it presses on the stem.  she says that she is cautious in ging forward.  i asked why we were ready to go testerday with 3 doses?   she said that she talked to us before it started to give her reservations .....  but it was rescheduled??????   see why i can't get my arms around the asnwer.....

i just wanted teh hell out of there ----- nerves were now shot.

dr wanted us to wait until she talked to other drs ....   she only talked to my GP ---  we left and she said that she would let us know when she talked to nuero dr.

i went to dentist to get tooth fixed.

so i sit at a location where i was some 2 months ago.   i tried to get on cyber knife support site ..... tried my pass word and i was told that it was no good ....  tried to register and all concieveabel na,es were said to be in use ...  it must be dead????

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

carter

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 06:58:49 pm »
no one from dr keaton's office called  with the referral ....  between 10:30 to close of business

my wife wants me to be patient... 

i have readied myself to get this taken care of and i just blew one more day off that was paid.  they will get in short supply soon .....

sorry i keep going on......i had wanted to document the textbook case to help walk someone through the process --- that dreamis aslos gone.

carter

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

mk

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 07:23:56 pm »

i tried to get on cyber knife support site ..... tried my pass word and i was told that it was no good ....  tried to register and all concieveabel na,es were said to be in use ...  it must be dead????

carter

Have you tried the new cyber knife support site? It needs you to re-register all over again. Does anyone have the address handy?
 Unfortunately though it seems to me that if a doctor is denying treatment, this is quite serious, since she obviously thinks that it may be dangerous. The doctors at the Cyber knife forum are  honest and upfront, so getting a second opinion from them would be useful.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

carter

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 08:14:02 pm »
the webb address for teh cyberknife support is

http://www.cyberknife.com/memberprofile.aspx

i have tried to register  mant times   it says that every user name i select is in use.....  i do not believe that the varied items thta i selected - over 10 are all in use ... their system is not working????

i too question that i may be "bad"      but the dr scheduled and rescheduled it     then backed out .....   why back out after sceduling t twice?    it is a way to truely mess up teh patient's mind (me)

sgerrard

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2008, 09:29:06 pm »
Hi Carter,

The CK forum is up and working, I just logged in, and saw some new posts dated today. Not sure what difficulty you are having with a user name.

I realize this is a royal pain, but I think your CK doctor rescheduled to get more time to investigate, and probably consulted with other doctors about your case - maybe even Dr. Medbery. Once she had enough input, she decided against proceeding with treatment. I am sure it was not easy for her either, but I admire her for having the courage to call it off, if that is what needed to be done.

I hope you are able to get on the CK forum. Are you trying single word user names, like Carter1234, Carter1235, etc?

I also hope you hear from a neurosurgeon soon, and get some more information and advice on what to do next. It is no fun to have to mess around with it, but this is something that has to be done right, so in the long run it is for the better.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

carter

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 07:40:47 pm »
We go out to eat Chinese food …. My fortune is that I will apply everything that I am now learning.  Marilyn’s is that she has to be patient.   I am not sure if I had ever seen one that made sense and here it is 2 that hit the nail on the head.   Wow!!!

Dec 8

Call form Dr Nunn’s office – go to see other cyberknife on Tuesday --- day after today … ok – this is good. 

No call from Dr heaton’s office

Dec 9

To st john’s cyberknife … meet with dr Frederick willison.  He wants full story from birth to today.  he looks at first mri and notes the size, etc …..  rather than to write it all out again – here is the letter that I sent to the folks that I email to keep them up to date …

I saw a new doctor yesterday.  This would be Dr,. Willison of St. John hospital’s cyber knife team – Tulsa, Ok.  He did a very good and thorough job of explaining the entire process to Marilyn and I. 

steps:

1.  consult with he and his group – done.   He said that the tumor is definitely in the stem   he has to be very careful to not  zap this area too much.  There will be spill over into the stem and we need to have a plan for this and he has to plan to minimize this.  He said that the plan devised by the other doctor was good.  (I had a screen print from the plan that was to go to the referral that she was sending me to. Later he said that he had been a partner in a practice with the other dr and that she was very talented….. but understood that I had an issue with the communications.  At this time- Tuesday, we had not even heard back form her.  I read into his speeches that I can not self medicate ----  no sticking my head in a microwave for 10 minutes with the power on high – this may not give the same results.

2.  He is setting me up to talk to a neuron surgeon.  I had heard this from the other dr and not what I wanted to hear ….  He showed that this is part of his check list of required things.  This is step 2 – not to be done as an after thought.  He said that I can hear him explain the benefits of surgery so I can make an informed decision.  I said that I had my mind made up … then he added that in case this goes south on us …. I will have be an existing patient for a very good neuron surgeon rather than the hospital trying to find a doctor on a rush basis.  Immediate response from his group vs waiting for an appointment.   This makes sense.   He also added that he may sign off on the treatment plan for a second set of eyes. He needs a car payment …I can see him now ---- a sign on the street corner – will work for Lexus car payment…...  I will never know if this is what the other dr was trying to do?  Marilyn says that she thinks it was??????

3.  the software between the 2 hospitals are not the same ---  so I get to do the mask making, CT scan, and MRI over again …. I get to face the spirit sucking tunnel of doom (MRI).  They set this up for Dec 18.  at least there is valium!!!!!!

4. the doctor will take about a week to make the plan.   Hopefully he is working Christmas week.   I had hoped that I get treatment during the week of Christmas so I could have that long weekend to help rest.  News year week, I only work 3 days …..  so I am hoping to hit this time frame.

5. treat …. 3 to 5 treatments --- he will tell us after the planning.  Side affects were minimized.   He nor the nurse refused to admit that the face mask leaves the patient with onion sack face……  the mask fits  tight and leaves the impressions of the fibers in the skin…. As the mesh is about like an onion sack …. This affect is referred to onion sack face….  And it takes hours to go away.  So going out to eat afterwards can be very awkward.

The nurse offered to have the radiation administered in a pattern so I can have a unique hair design --- some will fall out where it beams through.  At least no one commented about there being little hair to loose ----- other than my wife (*^%&.

I have been reading the literature that they sent home with us … not one paper refers to a special diet of hamburgers, fries, steaks, and peach cobbler.   I still contend that if a kid gets ice cream after having the tonsils removed, getting brain bugger zapped should deserve some special foods???????  At least this dr did not make comments about eating well balanced meals ….

I do solicit your help ….. how can I describe this entire process to make it sound better?   Think about it …. If I went surgery, I could say yes, I had a hole drilled here, they shoved my brain to the side and I was under the knife for 6 to 12 hours ….  Sounds pretty macho right?

If I went gamma knife, I could state that they screwed a metal plate to my face.  They then did an mri and Ct scan while I was awake and the plate.  Then they attached the plate to a big metal helmet and the radiation poured in through the holes in the helmet.

And I get to describe my treatment as this ---- they invited me down to the hospital to listen to some music – on a paid day off…. I am to bring my favorite cd.   They will lay me on fancy bed .  I can experience a robot move around and work as I listen to the music.  The robot costs $5 million?   And I am to be on some fine / legal drugs that will help me relax while they do this ….if I wear bell bottoms and  a tie dye shirt, I can swear I went to a hippie reunion??????  I do not even have to put on a backless hospital gown at any time.  I have only onion sack face to tell any grandchildren about and gripe as I did not get ice cream…. This does not even sound like a good story to be able to brag about around the camp fire in future years.   

How would you like to tell your boss that you need time off to lie around, take some drugs, and  listen to a little Dylan … I have to think of how I can word this. 

My CD will Bob Dylan.

I am in a better mood!

Just to give you an update and to say thanks for the prayers/good wishes.

carter

ps…. When we got home on Tuesday, we found a phone message from the original cyberknife dr ‘s office stating that they had set up  an appointment for me to see a surgeon.  Marilyn let them know that we were going elsewhere… 

marilyn is using the patience for me fortune cookie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did hear her say for the first time that she too was angry with Dr hawkins for not checking further as we are both well aware by now, the tumor is of a significant size.

dec 10
I share my feelings so others my gain soemthing and to umload my mind --- if the cookie says that i am to learn form everything – maybe others will also learn????  I can at least present the info.   Just like phoenix mary did on the support web site.   I wrote to her yesterday on her string of posts.  She is having balance problems ---- I hope that his is not for me.  But this lady deserves to get better.   She has been my motivation and anchor that it will all work … but I will not wear the pirate suit that she describes --- not in public with a pair of capris and pirate shirt … sorry…

Got positive feedback from my letter out – people said that I had some humor again .. missing for several days.    I had to give credit to many of the terms to former posts on the site.

Get to thinking about the dizziness and headaches…  I never used to have headaches --- is it being sensitive – my imagination?   But it is there!!!!  The dizziness has been there – just associated with the blood pressure – not an AN. 

Then I get an email that helps to point me the top neuron person in OKC … they can get me in through a relative if I wish to.  This person does not write often so I am feeling good  to see the note.  I read the entire string of emails that are attached and here she is writing to tell the other person that if the cyberknife slips – I will die – then yikes.  Here she is a nurse, writing to a medical researcher and this is there.  My nerves are crushed for a moment. I now have a headache!!!!  I forward it to marilyn and she reads it --- we talk and she puts me in a good mood --- she refers to the nurse’s bedside manner being equal to others that I had seen lately.  I laugh and life goes on.  The email was meant with love and crushed me!

I know wait for the appointment to be set up with the neuron dr and for the date to have the mri and cat CT redone.  The trip continues …..

I am struggling with the idea of getting back to weight watchers as I have gained 14 pound of the 37 lost …  stress is my excuse.  I have to get my mind around this and get back on their program.

By this time- I hope that you are not bored to tears  – this is dedicated to my  heroes – the group that visits the site.  The only thing that helps more is my buddies – baby bear and ugly bear -imaginary friends i balme my goofs on life ...  my wife thinks that imam nuts?-- topped by my sweetie of over 35 years – to marilyn!  Thanks to all.

Life is still good, I just have to remember that ….  I like to deer hunt on 80 acres that we have had for 10 years.  I have a daughter that is good.  And I have marilyn.!!!!

ibet that i never get this story on the success list of the cyberknife support site!!!!!!!

sgerrard

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 09:50:10 pm »
Hi Carter,

I'm glad to see you are in a better mood. A wordy mood, apparently, but better. :)

It sounds like you are back on track, anyway. Sure there is some risk, but that comes with the territory. The CK machines are very stable and the control systems are very precise. They also have fast automatic shut off if anything isn't right, so don't worry about slips.

For what it is worth, I had CK and didn't have balance problems or onion bag face. I know others have, so you will just have to wait and see what yours has in store for you, and hope for the best.

I think that if you tell people that you had Cyberknife for a brain tumor, they will be suitably impressed, regardless of how easy it may seem to go through it. You don't have to tell them about the Dylan CD.  ;)

Best wishes,

Steve

mk

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 12:43:32 pm »
I find that saying "I had stereotactic radiosurgery", has a big impact ;D

Also just plain "radiation", makes people think that this is something very serious, as they associate it with cancer treatment.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

carter

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 06:01:38 pm »
the story contunes.....

got new mask made today.

to CT scan....  set up iv line for the ct and mri...... the mask felt loose ....no one listened ......the iv port would not work when the
'dye" was inserted.  so set up in another spot ... this tiemthe tech listened and reset the mask

the arm is now swollen really large.

to mri ....  this facilty rewuired changing out of street clothes...  1st of 3 that required it.  they also did xrays as i had metal in eyses some 6 to 8 years sago.

the mri went on and on...... the valium wore off and i stood it until my iv arm could not take it any longer.  the tech pulled me out and removed the iv port ....  and i got through the remainder.  when i got out i asked tech --- just how long was i in there?   he said tht he had messed up and did a regualr mri, not one for cyber knife, so he had to start over.  then said i would not be charged for it.    geeeze.

to neuro surgeon .... fill out new sets of forms --- health history, etc.   about 45 minutes late and it was blood pressure, weight, etc.  then PA came in to do history review.  finally Dr Patrick Han.  He was impressive.  went through surgery and cyberknife.  recommended cyberknife.  went through risks.  he answered questions at lenght.

we signed consent forms for him to do it...   he and dr Willison are to plan and get on the schedule.

only neg for neuro was that he sid my hearing in the AN ear is not all that good and if lost, i will adjust .....  i just want to hang on to what i can....   do others not get this if it is not them?

i want to get on with it!!!!!

carter

sgerrard

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 09:27:30 pm »
Hang on, Carter, you are almost there!  ;)

Nothing like a busy hospital to make you feel oh so special.  :P

I hope you are able to get on with it soon!

Steve

carter

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2008, 06:14:09 pm »
i am not patient ...

mri and ct scan were done on dec 18.  was told that palnning would be done and on schedule in a week.

early dec visit said that it would be doen by end of year as deductables were brought up.

today, i was told that the neuro dr was on vacation until Jan 5.  when he returns, gets a chance tol work on this, the ck will be scheduled.

before the AN was found, i had lost 37 pounds... in the past 2 months, i have gained 18 pounds back..... stress!!!!

stress is really rolling on ...

carter