Author Topic: inflamed cerebellum after radiosurgery  (Read 3983 times)

mattsmum

inflamed cerebellum after radiosurgery
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:58:16 pm »
hi - has anyone had inlflammation of the cerebellum after radiosurgery?
i had linnac srs in july 2010, and have tumour swelling with resulting trigeminal neuralgia, decreased hearing and worse balance. my mri showed inflammatory changes in the cerebellum on the side of the tumour helping to explain quite how wobbly i am; but i have not read/heard about this as a common finding after radiosurgery. has anyone had experience of this? and does it get better?
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: inflamed cerebellum after radiosurgery
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37:01 pm »
mattsmum

I am not a doctor but I CK in November and the doctor told me that there would be some swelling, some loss of hearing, increased tinnitus and increased balance problems.  At six months they will do another MRI to see what is going on.  It also really depends on what part of the brain that the radiation hit.

I thing it really will take awhile before the swelling and sided effects will be better.

TJ

mk

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:54:36 pm »
I have never heard about this specific problem, but I guess that it is not impossible. Swelling can cause all sorts of nasty side effects.  Inflammation of the cerebellum could cause balance - instability problems. I think it is very important to talk to your doctor about this. A course of steroids might be in order.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

mattsmum

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:18:55 am »
thanks - i have had a 3/52 course of steroids and am awaiting another mri. the steroids have not improved my balance probs (continues to get worse). when i see my surgeon after the mri i will ask whether he has seen the cerebellar changes before.
i have also had a fever for 2 months which has been investigated but no cause found; they dont know whether this may be related to tumour swelling as it does not seem to be a regular complication.
i start vestibular rehabilitation next week, and hope that will help.
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)