Author Topic: Newbie scheduled for Translab  (Read 4743 times)

vinsterman

Newbie scheduled for Translab
« on: June 16, 2010, 07:53:46 pm »
Hi All,

First I have to say this forum is a wonderful resource both for support and information. I am very happy and thankful I found it and the wonderful members.

Now to my story:  I was recently diagnosed with a 2.3x2.6 cm right side AN, my only symptoms were hearing loss and slight tinnitus. I am scheduled for a Translab on Monday June 21st at the University of Miami with Dr's Telischi and Morcos. Both Dr's have been a pleasure to deal with, Jackson Hospital a little less so but that was expected. Yes the pre-surgery nerves are building up but thankfully my wife, 15mo old son, and office are keeping me busy enough that my mind hasn't been focused on the surgery. My biggest worries are the long term side-effects like headaches and the potential for facial paralysis. My hearing loss is severe so I’m not worried about the total loss in the affected ear…just another thing to get used to. Being a Type 1 diabetic (latent onset at 30, I’m now 37…) won't help the healing process but at least I'm well controlled which shouldn't complicate matters. To prep for the surgery I've been getting myself in the best shape possible to help the recovery process, it’s been a great stress reliever as well. Any suggestions to help the recovery process and any experiences from other Type 1's would be greatly appreciated since I haven't been able to find much information about how the surgery and meds affected your sugar levels and insulin intake. Any other information, comments or suggestions would of course be appreciated as well.

Many thanks,
Vincent

Cheryl R

Re: Newbie scheduled for Translab
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:28:04 pm »
Vincent, Sorry to hear of having to join us as ANs are not what we ever expected to have.     The recovery varies in everyone.  Your brain may have been compensating some already that the balance nerve will not be working and you may be dizzy post op and need some time to adjust or not a dizzy feel but a funny feeling in the head when active.  Known here as wonkyhead! may or may not be advised by your drs to do vestibular therapy.     Just getting out and walking alot will be important and it might be harder outsdie or in large bright lit places.          You will be very tired at first.    One does not need to over push yourself as one does need just time to heal.               You will be on steroids in the hospital and possibly post op at home.   each dr has their own protocol.     You will have elevated blood sugars just from the stress of the surgery and even more from the steroids.   Your drs will know this ahead so may talk to you about how they plan to take care of this.       You may have an appetite or may not.    this will affect your carb intake.      I am now a retired nurse but have kept up my license and went to a diabetes class recently.      You may have a daily dose of insulin but also do the sliding scale dosing with each blood sugar.    (Sliding scale may have another name now also)    They will watch what you are eating also.      Being type 1 will hopefully mean they will watch the blood sugars more closely.               Good luck with your surgery and let us know how it goes plus ask all the questions you think of as we can be of help.                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:34 pm »
Vincent, first and foremost, welcome to the wonderful world of this AN discussion forum! I am sorry you had to be here, but there is no better place to be!!  Good luck with your surgery, I am sure you have no doubt read a lot of other people's experiences when it comes to translab so you are pretty informed by now.  I am not sure if you have read some of the threads regarding head positioning prior to getting knocked out.  It was suggested that if you can get them to position your head comfortably BEFORE going under, then the post surgery headaches will invariably be less of an issue.  Other than that and rest rest rest, I can think of nothing else, except that I wish you good luck and keep us updated!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:53:55 pm »
Hi Vincent and Welcome!

Sounds like you are pretty well informed and have a good attitude and enough stuff right now to keep your mind occupied!
My 2 cents:
1)  Take chapstick to the hospital and not much else!

2)  When you are recovering, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!  You may have super days & then a not-so-good one...that is ok...take it as it comes!

We are all here for you - ask us anything - that is why we are here!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:33:01 pm »
Vincent,
Welcome, and great advice from the others.

I also had translab and didn't have problems with post op headaches, except for the first couple of weeks. I made sure I took it VERY easy and eventually was taking motrin and tylenol. I have been headache free ever since.

Headaches are usually more associated with Mid Fossa and Retrosigmoid approach because of they way the head and neck are situated. I don't know how the head is situated with translab. Maybe ask your doctor. I unfortunately had facial nerve issues, but my tumor had been insidiously growing for who knows how many decades! They are tricky little boogers in how they manifest themselves. Complete facial paralysis is rare. Sometimes the nerve is stretched and there is temporary paralysis which resolves itself over time.

Surgery will be here before you know it. Sounds like you have a good handle on things. I too exercised as much as I could pre op and I think that made the difference in my recovery. I had little to no dizziness/balance post op because my other side had already compensated (shows how long it had been in there). Just plan on lots of rests, naps, restful CD's, walking, drinking, etc. Also stool softeners if you need narcotics for pain!

Best wishes and prayers for successful surgery next week.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lori67

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 07:26:39 am »
Hi Vincent and welcome!

I am not a diabetic but I did have problems with my blood sugar from the steroids post surgery that required a few doses of insulin and lots and lots of finger sticks!   :o  Since they know you are a diabetic going in, I'm sure they'll be on top of things and try to keep things nice and steady for you.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I had translab also and have never had a problem with headaches.  Moe is right, it does seem to be more of a concern with approaches other than translab.

I'm sure your wife and little boy will be good motivation for you to get back into the swing of things.  Good luck to you and keep us posted!  I'll bet you'll do great!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

vinsterman

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:41:09 am »
Wow, thanks everyone for the great welcome, comments, and suggestions. I am taking each to heart. I actually just returned from the preop clearance and we're good to go for Monday barring any last minute infection.

I am updating my checklist of items to bring or not since I'm in agreement now that less is probably more. Chapstick and Real Tears have been added...i guess no need for the electronics.

I've been trying hard to keep my attitude straight...freaking out won't help anyone so I rather just deal with it. Its easier for all of us to cope without stress and thankfully my wife has been a rock and more supportive than i could ever ask for. Plus the last thing i want to do is stress the baby.

Its good to know going in that I will have to deal with steroids and adjusting my sliding scale will be necessary just for them. I usually see a blip in my sugars with a cold so I'm sure the surgery will complicate the dosing. Hopefully i can keep some semblance of glucose control

I will discuss head positioning with my surgeon since I have had neck issues in the past and would rather avoid any potential issues. I was happy to go with the Translab since I would rather be SSD than have long term headaches. My understanding was that it was also easier for the surgeon to ID the facial nerve and avoid any of the paralysis issues. I understand there's always a risk but these are ones I would like to lessen as much as possible.

Rest seems to be the word of the day! I will want to back to my routine as quickly as possible but would rather not risk pushing myself and ending up with further complications. Especially based on some of the other posts I've read. I'll have to plan walks for early morning or late evening since its been broiling hot down here in Miami, not even the dog wants to go out! I'm sure the family will get me motivated to get off the couch. My surgeon also mentioned that I may not have balance issues because my brain may have already compensated based on my hearing loss. Wonky heard wasn't discussed but I'll have to keep that in mind. I am just hoping things go well and there aren't many complications.

Thanks again, I'm very glad to be a part of the discussion!

Vincent

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »
Vincent.    The time before surgery is very nerve wracking and scary as one doesn't know how it may be.   You may see of what seems like many  here who may have post op problems but there are many who do well and back to pretty normal life and are gone from here.         The balance issue recovers for most and even facial issues are temporary for many but the time to return varies with each person.         I will add that if you have the littlest bit of dry eye and one may for a bit of time even with no paralysis that a regular tears doesn't do the job.    A heavier type works better.     My favorite is Refresh liqugel but there are many brands to try.   Nighttime use is a heavy gel.
   You won't feel like doing much probably in the hospital.    Tv for some and for others the vision takes a few days to feel right and don't do tv.               If you wear glasses then an old pair with the bow off for when wearing the large dressing works well. 
A robe of your own for walking in the hall and possibly pajamas if desired once the IV is capped. 
    Enjoy the weekend and I wish you well!                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 01:08:03 pm »
Hi, Vincent!

Please accept my belated welcome.  I'm pleased to note that one of our valued RN members (Cheryl) gave you solid information about the relationship between your diabetes and the surgery as well an accurate and comprehensive overview of the post-op scenario, which, as Cheryl emphasized, varies with each AN surgery patient.  I do not have diabetes but I recall the nurses checking my blood sugar levels at least once per day when I was in the ICU.  I asked if there was a problem and they said my levels were fine but my neurosurgeon had ordered them to be checked frequently and they were just following his orders.  He was a very conservative, thorough doctor and although I hated the tests (not being used to having my fingers jabbed with a needle) I appreciated his attention to detail and prudent approach to my case.  For what its worth, my 'Retrosigmoid Approach' debulking surgery went smoothly (9 hours) and I did not suffer facial paralysis or headaches.  I had long since lost all hearing in the affected ear so that was never an issue for me.  I've adjusted well to being SSD (Single Side Deaf) but if you can't, there are fabulous BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) devices available that their users rave about.  Should my SSD ever become unbearably burdensome, that's my 'ace in the hole', as it were.  It might be for you, too.  You never know. 

To sum up: you are clearly on top of your situation and although the surgery is always intimidating, with your positive, practical attitude, a very supportive wife and the information and help you've received - and will continue to receive - from these forums, I think you'll do just fine, come Monday (6/21).  Besides the advice and good thoughts coming your way, you'll be in the prayers of many, so that should help give you some peace of mind, going in.  It did for me. Meanwhile, stay healthy, prepare to rest a lot immediately following the surgery ('immediately' meaning the first few weeks) and remember that - as my fellow moderator, Steve, says - the first 3 days post-op 'don't count'.  We'll look for your updates as they become available.  Keep thinking positive! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 02:58:10 pm »
Hi Vincent,

Welcome to the forum.

I remember what it was like as my wife's surgery date got closer.

You've done your homework, now it's time to take a deep breath and try to enjoy some time with your family.  Maybe dinner and a movie ;)

You'll do fine Monday,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

tenai98

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 05:29:02 pm »
Hi Vincent and Welcome to the forum.
I had translab april 09.  I'm back to 95% normal routine...I'll never recover my hearing loss or my balance loss but its doable and livable. I went back  5 months post op but could have went back sooner if it wasnt for my line of work...I had to make sure I was 100% capable of handling situations being a driving instructor.  I have precious cargo in my vehicle and the kids and parents trust me to return them safe.  so I waited til *I* was sure...not doc....
Rest rest and rest...listen to your body...day by day....and walk walk and walk some more.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

vinsterman

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 07:54:04 pm »
Thanks again for the advice and encouragement, every bit helps!

Managing the stress the last two days has been real tough. It is never a good time for these events (especially having just kicked off a bunch of new projects) but at least my office has been very supportive and I have the ability to work from home when I'm ready.

I'll really need to watch my carb intake this weekend to keep my levels steady. It will be interesting having someone else manage my diabetes since its taken time to figure out how my body responds to carbs and stress not to mention I've found the least sensitive spots for the finger pricks and injections. To this day I find the finger pricks more painful than the injections.

So now we're trying to unwind and just enjoy our time, especially with the baby. I can't imagine not being able to play with him as usual, he's now just getting into rough-housing and being swung around so that will need to stop. For now I'll enjoy every minute of it :). At least we'll be able to play lightly, read, and walk together when I'm able. I guess a new stage starts next week.

Hopefully the surgery and recovery go well and I can post my adventure soon and become a contributing member!

Vincent