Author Topic: surgery scheduled at the House  (Read 2445 times)

Karla83401

surgery scheduled at the House
« on: April 19, 2006, 08:00:54 am »
Hello Everyone,

I am sorry that I am not posting very often although I do peek in quite often. Working on the computor seems to make the headaches worse so I save computor time for school work. I hope that all is well with everyone.

I spoke to Dr. Brackman a couple of times here lately and we scheduled my surgery for May 16th. We are not sure what approach we are going to use because he wants to run a couple of tests prior to making that decision. I do feel quite comfortable with that because he has sent me a great deal of information about all of the procedures which I have become familiar with. With the pain and headaches increasing so much I will simply be glad to have it done. I am excited that it appears that I will make it through this semester and have been able to maintain a 4.0 gpa.

I will keep you posted as I can...with finals quickly approaching it may be hit and miss but know that all of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

Battyp

Re: surgery scheduled at the House
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 09:11:59 am »
Karla a 4.0 :o  That's something that should be celebrated with all that's going on in your world!  I'm proud of you!

May 15th is my son's bday so I won't forget you on the 16th!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:23:04 am »
Karla, that's wonderful!!!!  You are doing so great!  We are still doing the Friday night phone call, so if you are having a hard time typing and still want to connect, please join us!  It starts at 7 PST and 10 EST.   

Keep your chin up, it's all going to go just fine!!!!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

richh

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 09:26:57 am »
Hi Karla,

It is great that you could still keep a 4.0 gpa.  This is wonderful job especially at this difficult time.
I am sure Dr. Brackmann will work out a best approach for you.  Leave this to him.

Rich

matti

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 10:16:26 am »
I am so proud of you Karla and thank you for continuing to inspire me.

hugs
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:21:29 pm »
karla,

Between your GPA and your postitive attitude, hun.. you are going FAR in life! I can just feel it!!!!!! Congrats on the GPA and I have utter faith in what Dr. Brackmann will work out for you has his surgical plan.

Huggles to keep the spirit up!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 06:47:18 pm »
Karla,
You are in great hands--will Dr. "Hits" be working with Dr. Brackman doing your surgery? His pic is on my Frappr page-he's the older gentleman in the pic w/ the 2 docs.  They are the best in the world at resecting these AN buggers.  Who's going with you for your surgery? I'm sure they've filled you in about Seton Hall and everything.

Hope to talk with you on Friday and Congrats on your great GPA!!
Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Karla83401

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:57:34 pm »
One more day behind me and one more statistic test over. It is so funny because I can hardly wait to have a chance to sit down and check the posts here. You are all so good for my spirits and energy level. I am really pleased that I have done well in school this semester, but then during times of crisis I tend to focus my energies on things that I can control. It is kind of a shame that I don't divide the focus some of that energy on my house or on getting in shape.

I will have Dr. Brackman and Dr. Schwartz as my physicans, as far as I know. I feel very comfortable with that team and have a great feeling about how things will come out. Rita, Dr.Brackman's nurse, set me up with Seton. She also set me up with a driver to get me from the airport to Seton when I fly in. What a great group of people there.

Now I am trying to plan what steps I should take to have the best recovery once I get home. They told me to plan on about 12 to 14 days in Los Angeles so I am thinking that I should be well on the road to recovery by the time I get back to Idaho Falls.

I am hoping to join the Friday night call this week but who knows with children!

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 10:10:09 pm »
Karla,
  I think the one thing we all agree on as far as having at home is baby shampoo! 

I came home at 7 days post op and needed a slew of things in place due to my complications.

Revist the thread that was started on things that we found of use at home.  I'm def. waving the magic battywand that you'll sail through things with flying colors! 

Heck, it can happen...I've got some hearing back that was unexpected so anything can happen!!!
Hope we get to chat on friday!