Author Topic: Volumetric study?  (Read 2966 times)

BT

Volumetric study?
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:13:27 pm »
Hi there,

I was just told today that I should schedule an volumetric study.  What exactly is that?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Volumetric study?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 02:39:55 pm »
An attempt to determine the mass of the AN.  This can sometimes be accomplished by using the external measurements of the tumor.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 07:53:05 am »
Jim,
  I would think a Volumetric study would be to determine the Tumor's 3 dimensional Volume, rather than its Mass.  Mass is how much of something is there, and Volume is how much space it's occupying.  Two objects with the same Mass can take up differenet amounts of Volume depending on their Density.
  Let me apologize for the correction.  I was one of those people who liked Physics.  ;)
Regards,
  Rob

PS: There have been some other threads on calculating Tumor Volume.  See http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1491.0
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 07:57:31 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 02:04:08 pm »
Rob:

No need to apologize for correcting an error. 

I have no training in physics (obviously) and readily accept your definition of volume as it applies to volumetric studies.  Besides, it corresponds with the dictionary definition, although mass is mentioned as the substance occupying a particular volume.  This is the part I mistakenly substituted for volume.  Thanks for setting this straight.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:15:41 am »
sounds complicated
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07