Author Topic: Eye Test  (Read 3492 times)

steph28

Eye Test
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:32:20 am »
Good morning everyone,

I was hoping someone good give me some help with a query I currently have with regards to having my eyes tested. I have tried searching for answers without any luck.

I am nearly 15 months out of surgery for a large AN on the right side. I have been left with facial issues on the right.

I am overdue for my annual check up for my eye test and as I wear glasses I am just concerned that I should start thinking about doing something sooner rather then later.

But my question is somedays I can see out of my right eye really well and it waters on its own accord and other days I have to put in drops etc which effects this vision in that eye. How do I get round this at the opticians? I am concern they will say I need new glasses just because the eye isn't having a good day.

Thanks everyone for you help.

Take care

steph
x

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Eye Test
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:01:28 am »
Steph,

Make sure you see an ophthalmologist, not just an optician. The ophtha can give your eyes a good going-over and will likely understand your medical history more readily. I see one regularly because of initial double-vision and I think it has been very helpful.

Good luck,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:41:32 am »
Just tell them what it does.        I have an occ day need drops but what I use doesn't blur me for long.     certain comnditions can dry a eye out easily ao drops are needed.      Plus looking at the eye as they do will tell if it is dry or not.         There are other conditions which cause dry eye so you shouldn't be the first they've seen like this.              Good luck with an exam.
                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:09:03 pm »
My eye doc started me on Resastis and no more blurry eye for me. I've been using it for over 6 years. It works wonderfully.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:32:31 am »
steph28;
  A day with dry eye shouldn't be cause for needing new glasses, but would add that a refraction ( eye exam ) may change from day to day.  Possibly your surgery is causing the occassional dry eye, but, there are other causes.
  Natural tears, or drops cause a bit of refraction themselves, so, that's why a dry eye equates to less than good vision. The tears, or drops are acting as a lens also. That is normal.
  It's best just to tell the examining Opthamologist, or Optician you have occassional dry eye issues. Either, can check tear film strength and evaporation rate.
  I have dry eye/poor Vs days and just blink a lot which causes the mebowmian gland above the eye to produce more tears because it is squeezed during a blink, or when eating.
  You might ask the examiner about a punctum plug for the tear drainage hole.
  Best wishes with this!  ; )

heyct

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 02:11:47 am »
Sorry to hear about your eye issues. I don't have the same problems (migraines, some eye twitching, eye feeling stuck on the opposite side). My recommendation, please go forward with your appointment. Bizzarely enough, I went for my annual eye exam & my Optician had the same surgery just a few months prior, so he was very interested in my problems & did extensive testing & wants to see my MRI every year.

He didn't find anything, but it's so comforting to have all the bases checked!
Good luck,
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11