Author Topic: 1 year post-translab  (Read 1643 times)

Big Steve

1 year post-translab
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:29:22 am »
My translab surgery was one year ago today.  Thanks to my SO, family, friends, ANA support group and this forum for all the support.

Some words of encouragement for those who are considering surgery or recently out of surgery: Life is now much better than the months prior to surgery.  I am still adapting to one-side vestibular -- I had 4 prior years to adapt to one-side deafness -- but I'm back at 90% of the activities I could a couple years prior to surgery, e.g., skiing (when viz is good, some balance issues in bad viz), mountaineering (80%), running, etc.  Brain sometimes gets a fatigued a few hours into the work day (I'm an attorney) so I've scaled my practice back to 1/2 time, planning to taper to 1/4 time.

ANA has been a great resource!  I have been remiss re my participation on this forum.  I intend to do better.  :) 
Sudden SSD (right side) 11/08 (erroneously diagnosed as caused by virus)
Chronic vertigo commenced 10/12
Intracochlear neuroma diagnosed via MRI 12/2012
Neuroma and right side cochlea/vestibular mechanism removed 01/15/13 via translabrynthine approach

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 1 year post-translab
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:55:26 pm »
Steve ~

Thanks for the one-year update and congratulations on your excellent recovery that allows you to enjoy physically demanding pursuits. 

We look forward to your continued participation on the ANA Discussion forums.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.