Author Topic: It is all relative  (Read 13585 times)

BRS89

It is all relative
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:08:16 pm »
This board has been very helpful to myself, and obviously others, who need to lean on the experience of others to cope with something quite scary to them. I have spent the past few years fretting, worrying, studying, contemplating, all the different things that are happening to me physically, or could happen to me when I have my surgery early next month. And it seemed like the worst thing I would ever have to overcome.

Until October 22, 2012. I was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance for the first time in my life, and spent a week in cardiac ER. After an angiogram, echo scan, and CT scan; a 4.5 ascending aortic aneurysm was found on my aorta above my heart. From an active 44 year old football coach, who has never smoked, doesn't drink, never has taken drugs, and slim and athletic with quote, "the blood pressure of an 18 year old", to a life threatening situation that I inherited from my illustrious DNA at birth, but never knew. This is the same thing John Ritter passed away with.

They do the same thing with aneurysm's as they do with AN's. They wait until they reach 5.0cm and then do open heart surgery to repair. The reason, more death's occur on the operating table than dissect and burst before 5.0cm. Playing the odds.

Now my doctors are discussing what needs to happen as we prepare for what I thought was the surgery event and recovery of my life next month. Instead, this AN surgery is feeling very incidental to what my real challenge is going to be in future, if I am lucky enough to make it there.

I thought I had it pretty bad. I felt that I was really unlucky getting an AN for reasons no one could tell me. But, now getting the news of the AA for no reasons at all as well, it feels quite certain I have made Mother Nature pretty angry at some point along the way.

I have a great wife and son, and have always felt blessed and lucky, I didn't need any reminders to appreciate them. But, I didn't think it could get worse than an AN in my prime working years. I was wrong.

It is what it is

Re: It is all relative
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:46:33 pm »
Oh my!  Thank goodness you caught the aneurysm soon enough!  Some of us on this list have had other medical diagnoses that put the AN into perspective.  Will you proceed with the AN treatment or put that on hold for now?  What a shock this all must be to you and your family, especially since you are such a healthy man.  My thoughts are with you and your family.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

BRS89

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 02:02:22 pm »
Hi Karen,

I meet my AN surgeon this Thursday to finalize the AN surgery for after Thanksgiving. This has been a big shock to the family, but you are correct. Many who have the AA do not know it until it is too late. I have the chance of at least monitoring it and hoping it maintains. Another watch and wait scenario. It is just so odd to be laser beamed on the AN and then get something that makes the AN a secondary thought. Thank you for the thoughts, they are appreciated. Raising my son was the only wish I ever made.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »
Brandon .....

You certainly did not need this additional stressor in your life.

If it is any consolation, my husband also has an ascending aortic aneurysm (AAA in medical shorthand) of 4.3 cm in size.  It has stayed that way since first discovered three years ago (with a magnetic resonance angiogram for other reasons).  He underwent an emergency appendectomy the end of June with no ill effects.  He was, of course, monitored very closely during and following surgery.  He feels fine and is determined not to live his life in fear ..... not an easy thing to do, I realize.

Did you decide to go with the doctor in Ft. Worth for the AN removal/treatment?

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »
Please let us know how things go for you.  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 02:18:00 pm »
Brandon ~

Your post is challenging in the sense that it helps all of us (AN patients) put our situation in perspective, and I thank you for doing so.

Although 15 years your senior and not really 'athletic',' I'm also in good health (22.5 BMI) and viewed my AN as an impertinent intruder that I wanted gone ASAP.  I got my wish and was blessed to be spared hardly any complications from the debulking surgery or the radiation that followed (as planned).  However, during my AN experience (discovery, hospitalization, recovery) I tried to remember that (a) I had enjoyed a relatively long life (I was then a lad of 63) with almost no medical problems and, (b) it could be worse.  I was thinking cancer but an aortic aneurysm would have just as daunting. 

Of course I wish you great success with your upcoming AN surgery and hope that your AA doesn't pose any problems, then or later.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

BRS89

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 02:26:18 pm »
Clarice,

Dr. Tom Ellis is who will be doing the surgery here in Fort Worth. He is consistently voted a top neurosurgeon here, and I feel he can do the job. 

The positive things said here matter greatly, I think those still in the storm would all agree. Thanks. My hurdles I still have to jump.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 03:53:58 pm »
Thanks, Brandon .....

You know you will have the collective support of many on this forum!

Keep us posted as the surgery date approaches.

Continuing prayers .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kmr1969

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 05:19:22 pm »
Brandon,

This certainly is a lot to deal with and I can't even imagine how you feel.  I'm 43 and have a great family: a wonderful wife and two great sons, 13 and 12.  So, I do completely understand your comment about being there for your son.  Having important people in your life that rely upon you is a powerful motivator to get better.

The only advice (inadequate as it is) I can give you is to keep taking things one step at a time and focus on what you can control.  It sounds like you are doing that by moving forward with your AN surgery.  Get that one done, including a successful recovery, and then pivot to this new hurdle.

Best of luck to you with your surgery after Thanksgiving.  My surgery is scheduled at the House Clinic on the 13th.  I am hoping to be able to fly home (Maryland) on my oldest son's 14th birthday, 11/23.  That is what will be my motivation after surgery - to get home to see him blow out his birthday candles.

Best wishes,

Ken 

2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

It is what it is

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 05:29:13 pm »
You both sound like loving fathers.  Your kids are fortunate to have you.  Take good care of yourselves.  I agree with trying to take one day at a time.

Karen

BRS89

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:45:34 am »
Surgery - January 23rd.

kmr1969

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:16:28 am »
Brandon,

I'm glad you got your date set and I hope it helps you put your mind at rest a little bit.

I have been thinking about you as I have been recovering in la after my surgery.

Focus for me like you, has been my family.  My wife made a picture video of my boys for me to watch and although it is only 5 minutes long, I haven't made it all the way through yet b/c of tears.

Will you be able to make any progress on your heart issue while the clock winds down to your successful AN surgery?

Stay positive,

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

PamJ

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 12:05:41 pm »
Brandon - Thinking of you and your family xx
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

BRS89

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 05:15:36 pm »
Brandon,

I'm glad you got your date set and I hope it helps you put your mind at rest a little bit.

I have been thinking about you as I have been recovering in la after my surgery.

Focus for me like you, has been my family.  My wife made a picture video of my boys for me to watch and although it is only 5 minutes long, I haven't made it all the way through yet b/c of tears.

Will you be able to make any progress on your heart issue while the clock winds down to your successful AN surgery?

Stay positive,

Ken

You have been in my thoughts as well. Hoping the recovery is smooth and you get back to doing what you love very soon.

My Dr. had a run of "life threatening" surgeries that bumped some of us less than emergency surgeries. I am on call if things happen that way, otherwise it is January.
The real good news is my heart is fine, but the aorta has an issue that, much like the AN, you wait and watch until it gets big enough to take out. The difference is one can burst, and one won't. That is the whole new arena of fear that is upon me. But, keeping my blood pressure low and eating healthy can potentially help me. It hasn't stopped me, I coached my son Saturday to the Big City Championship in football, in his first year, so we are all smiles today. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Thank you for taking to time to write me in your recovery phase. I am rooting for you.

Brandon

millie

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 09:50:44 pm »
You have had so much to deal with, Brandon.  Praying together with others on this forum for strength and wisdom and health ...
Mil