Author Topic: Not all have hearing loss??  (Read 6122 times)

boomer

Not all have hearing loss??
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »
My AN is only 9mm and I have lost most of word reconization  Why do some people with much larger tumors still have most of their hearing.  Is this location or what.  I guess I assumed all AN's are in the internal ear canel so  most should loose their hearing?

kenneth_k

Re: Not all have hearing loss??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:56:47 pm »
From researching the internet I learned that some people have even very large AN's without their hearing beeing affected at all. I guess it comes down to location. As I understand it, the nerve may be damaged by pressure or loss of blod, but if the tumor is primarily outside of the inner ear canal and in the cerebellopontine angle (the space between the canal and the brain), the hearing nerve will not be affected that much. But it is kinda strange that people can have rather good pure tone recognition but lousy speech discrimination.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:59:50 am »
When I was in the hospital I met a 27 yr old male with a 7mm tumor and SSD, and no other symptoms before surgery.  I also got to know an older women (guess 60-70) with a 9mm tumor and paralysis before OP she had no other symptoms.  I never had any balance problems but because of tests the doctors said that my balance nerve was destroyed before surgery my only symptoms were slight hearing lose and tinnitus.  I have also learned that it is the position. 

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 05:10:46 pm »
Boomer -

just to chime in here and reiterate what Kenneth and Dan said.  Location seems to be the key. 

It also seems like no two AN journeys are alike.  Some patients have small tumors and multiple symptoms; some patients have huge tumors and very few symptoms.   

It's also hard for the docs to tell exactly what they are dealing with when the patient chooses surgery until they open up the skull.  In my case I chose retrosigmoid with the hopes that my hearing, although diminished, could be saved.  That was the plan that we all - both docs and I - agreed on.  But, when they actually got into my head to remove my tumor they found it was wrapped around my hearing nerve and in order to remove it entirely, the plan changed and my hearing was sacrificed. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 08:45:16 pm »
I agree leaprtwins! Every AN seems to be unique. It`s really amazing what you see from all experiences on these boards. I great source of knowledge to help guide us and pull for each other. Mickey

calimama

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:01:49 am »
I had a medium to large sized AN (removed in june this year). Prior to surgery, i had some hearing loss over several years and tinitus (these were my only symptoms, and the reason for my finding out about the AN.

I still had hearing in my left ear before surgery (i think it is pretty much gone, but will have testing in Dec). I was told i had lost about 25%-30% of hearing (and no hearing at high frequencies). I definitely think my hearing had deteriorated in the year prior to diagnosis.

My AN was not in the IAC but in the CPA. There was spread into the IAC as the tumor got large, but mostly in was in the CP angle. I hoped to retain some/all hearing after surgery but i was told probably less than 20% chance because of the tumor's size.

Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:13:05 pm »
CWood, IMO, a sense of humor is what gets one through life--the good times and the bad times. 

As you can see I have a small AN.  My AN was found by accident, and I wasn't having any symptoms when it was found.  I have had hearing tests dating back to 1996, and my AN ear has always had better hearing.  Since my AN grew this past year, my hearing test showed that my AN ear has caught up with my nonAN ear.  But, basically I still have what could be considered good hearing.  About three months ago, I started having tinnitus in my AN ear.  My AN doc said he has seen ANs as small as 2mm cause problems and bigger ones not causing any problems at all.  If you read the stories here, you can see that this is true.  These ANs are just goofy. Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:15:22 pm »
Hi Cheri,

Since you posted such a nice picture, I will chime in, with a resounding "maybe" in answer to your question. It has happened, but don't count on it. :-\

Steve
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:12:07 pm by sgerrard »
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Eva

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:51:39 am »
My An was 23 x 18 x 16 mm and I had perfect hearing before surgery. My only symptom was tinnitus. Unfortunately hearing could not be saved althouth my surgeon made an attemt. The tinnitus changed after the surgery. Now I have it in the deaf ear as a result of sounds that I hear with my good ear. It was realy surprised when I first realized this. When there is no noise around me I can even hear silence sometimes.
Eva
23 x 18 x 19 mm, May 2007
Retrosigmoid June 2007, Prague,Czech Republic, no complications
Deaf left side, slight ballance problems, tinnitus

Nancy Drew

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 02:00:19 pm »
Your picture is really nice CWood.  Maybe I'll get to that detail one day.  As for tinnitus.  I only have it in the AN ear.  I was wondering if any of you have tinnitus in both ears since I know you don't have to have an AN to have tinnitus--just happens, even to "normal" folks my doc said.  My tinnitus in the AN ear makes the other ear feel left out!  Sometimes wonder what it must feel like to have it in both ears vs just one ear.  Of course, I guess you have to have a switch from one ear to both ears to accurately answer this question.   Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 08:06:42 pm »
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.....LOL
I am 8 months post CK and I have my hearing.....KNOCK ON WOOD....KNOCK KNOCK.
I can tell a bit of difference but nothing too bad.....KNOCK KNOCK....
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Nancy Drew

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 04:39:59 pm »
Maybe I can find a picture that makes me look skinny!!!  Maybe one from my teens!  Mindyandy, it is encouraging to hear that you are 8 months post CK and you still have your hearing.  I have decent hearing right now, and I hope after I have my GK I will be able to KNOCK ON WOOD . . . .KNOCK KNOCK!!!  Sounds like you ROCKED your CK.

Nancy ;D ;D ;D
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 05:59:28 pm »
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.....LOL
I am 8 months post CK and I have my hearing.....KNOCK ON WOOD....KNOCK KNOCK.
I can tell a bit of difference but nothing too bad.....KNOCK KNOCK....

LOL!  Well, m'dear mindy, like you... 2-1/2 yrs post CK... and I have all 92% hearing that I had at time of CK... so, I've knocked on wood and someone upstairs answered :)

Hoping all hang in there.. and regardless of outcomes... you got us :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 11:01:35 am »
Yes, my tumor is very small and I have tinnitus.  It usually gets worse as the day goes on, and by bedtime, it's really ringing!  Occassionally I'll get the wooshing, wobbly head too.

Can someone tell me if the tinnitus can get better after surgery or is it pretty much a fixture?

Cheri

Cheri, I think that once your brain has fixated on this tinnitus, it rarely, if ever, lets go of that.  If anyone ever develops a real cure for tinnitus and for floaters in your eyes, then those people will be bazillionaires and probably qualify for sainthood, not to mention a Nobel Prize.    My aunt suffers with floaters and hers really interfere with her vision.  I've told her we're stuck with what we have.  I also told her that I'll point out the people, if she'll tell me what they say!  ;)

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 12:16:15 pm »
FLOATER....I HAVE FLOATERS.....SO ANNOYING :-\
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012