Author Topic: Just diagnosed in Houston, who are the best in houston  (Read 6218 times)

Peggyanne2

Just diagnosed in Houston, who are the best in houston
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:15:07 pm »
Any suggestions on the best doctors in Houston?

Kaybo

Re: Just diagnosed in Houston, who are the best in houston
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:19:56 pm »
Hi Peggy & Welcome!!
I live in Houston now & even had my surgery here a LONG time ago but my doctor is no longer here.  I have hears wonderful things about Vrabec. Who diagnosed your AN? What size? I'd be more than happy to chat with you on the phone or go for coffee or something...just let me know...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:22:15 am »
My neurotologist is Dr. Joseph Chang here in Houston and he's very good. Dr. Chang and a neurosurgeon surgically removed my 3.5 cm AN about 2 1/2 years ago and I'm doing great.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:29:46 pm »
I was in Houston at the time of my surgery almost six years ago.  I had my surgery at Clear Lake Medical Center and I would not recommend that facility. (They do not do many brain surgeries and the nurses are not trained to deal with brain patients, in my opinion) My doctors were very good, but the after care sucked.  I would look at doctors who operate at Methodist, St Luke's or Memorial Hermann.  Many on here have had great results with Chang, Vrabec and several others.  Get second and third opinions.  Don't go with a doctor you aren't comfortable with and who doesn't answer all of your questions...ask a lot of questions.  Houston also has a great support group...............something that really, really helps.
Visit the hospitals.  It is important to feel comfortable wherever and with whoever you decide on. Good Luck!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 05:00:23 pm »
Yep, I'm in for Vrabec and Trask.  Great team and great hospital.  I have nothing but praise for the whole package.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Peggyanne2

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:06:44 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I saw dr chang last week and he is not sure I have a An could be a glomus jugular tumor. He ordered a ct scan and I should hear from him this week.  What an unexpected thing to have happen....arrrg. I am thinking about consulting with dr vrabek and Paul giddily, have u heard anything about them?  My an?? Is appx 4.0 cm so guess it's rather large.....btw my son goes to OU, does your username have any reference to OU?  Thanks for your help!

rosenemyier

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:51:19 pm »
MD Anderson
Texas Medical Center
1515 Holcombe Blvd.
Houston, TX 77030
1-877-MDA-6789

one of the best!

rosenemyier

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:53:38 pm »
Not sure how large you tumor is if 3.cm or less you might want to consider "Proton Therapy"
Proton Therapy Center
The 96,000 square-foot Proton Therapy Center, located just south of the Texas Medical Center, has free on-site parking.

1840 Old Spanish Trail
Houston, TX 77054
1-866-632-4782

texsooner

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 05:22:34 pm »
Peggyanne, sorry for not responding a while back....I just must have missed seeing this until somebody else posted something a few days ago. Don't know if you're still on the forum, but was wondering how everything turned out with you for your tumor. Was it an AN?

And yes, my username is referencing OU. I'm a Sooner grad....grew up in Oklahoma, but have lived in Houston area now for many years. My oldest son also went to OU.

Hope everything turns out well for you.....let us know.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

nftwoed

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 07:19:47 pm »
Hi;
  Anderson and Chang really ring a lot of positive bells for me.
  Is there more than one Chang? I thought one did radiation outside of TX.