Author Topic: Prayers for my dad needed  (Read 14035 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: Prayers for my dad needed
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 04:09:00 pm »
Brothers house mate has moved out ... Dad was driving him loony I guess ...

Saturday is suppose to be Christmas here for all my kids ... with their extended families doings all done the whole lot will descend on me Saturday for enchiladas and cheese cake ( don't ask cause I don't know , it just kinda developed as their menu of choice) ... will have other stuff but that is the main fare

My brother who has Dad usually comes to these mad events but is worried it would be too much for Dad (heck sometimes it is too much for me … I ended up sleeping trough Thanksgiving when head ache lead to nausea and vomiting) … mom and girls and husband finished cooking and feeding and I got up toward the end … so he isn’t going to come up and bring Dad along … and there is also the issue of when dad has to “go” he has to “go “ right  then  … and we have long stretches of road between here and there with no gas stations or stores  … my brother says the day he has to wipe Dads bum will be the day the adventure of keeping him ends … an accident on the car driving down the road could result in brother putting dad out with sign aeound neck saying free to good home 

Anyway … tomorrow I am taking one twin with me so he can sit with my dad so I can take my brother to get his licenses … he has not had one in about 6 years … not sure how this is going to go … wondering if dad will behave for my son … he is 40 years younger and about 50 pounds heavier than  Dad is and if he made a break for it could sit on him … it isn’t really funny but when we were discussing possible problems ,this picture got stuck in my mind … I am taking a mini meal down so when I get back from taking brother to license station we can eat … not sure if I should leave the girls with son or take them with me … I am just not sure about a lot …

ob la di ob la da
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 05:46:10 pm »
Life does go on, doesn't it?  Your descriptions of dealings with your dad bring back so many memories of similar experiences with my mom.  She totally lost the filter on what was and was not appropriate to say out loud , and she would make ribald or profane comments about people in the drs. waiting room.  And this was from a woman who was VERY strict about using profanity! She also did not understand why food she ordered in a restaurant did not appear immediately, so that put an end to taking Mom out to lunch on Saturdays after her trip to the hairdresser. I can smile now and appreciate the humor of the situation, but when she said  "Get a look at the a** on that one," as an elderly, overweight woman using a walker slowly made her way past us ,I wanted to bolt from the hospital waiting room :D :D :D.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 06:08:12 pm »
My brother who has Dad usually comes to these mad events but is worried it would be too much for Dad

Soundy

You know from where I speak....... and based on what I have shared with you.... this key point that I highlight here is a very important point, not to be overlooked.  Sensory-overload is VERY important to steer clear in these situations.  When too much activity is going on for one to attempt to keep up, it can cause further frustration, aggrevation and (hopefully not) agitation.  I would not discount what your brother has shared.... is a very very important point and may be worth further researching.

You KNOW I send MAJOR hugglez....  you know how to find me.... hang in there.

Wishes/thoughts for a happy, HEALTHY 2011.
xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Keri

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2010, 10:28:36 pm »
I echo the 'hang in there' and also understand some of the sentiments of aging parents and the things they say and do. It's such a challenge. Soundy, you're doing a great job. Blessings to you and your family.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!